On Kansas City CL

RivNut

A 322 with stick shift on it's rear would be rare, most likely a 56 engine. Could be a 264 with a 4 bbl. Most telling question would be how many bolts in the tranny top cover plate. 5=264 6=322

At $450, if the engine is complete and turns, the trany a 6 bolt and it is within 2-3 hours of you, you should already be on the road to go get it Ed. A 6 bolt tranny is worth more than the askin.

Ah, Mr. Earl. You know that I don't have time to go chasing wild hares. I hate to say this but it's probably about 12 minutes from where I live to where it's located. If you, or anyone else, is really interested, I'll go take a look at it and take the descriptions with me so I can tell what it truly might be. Any other tell tale signs that would help me identify it as a 264 or 322?

The last number on the engine serial # (which is stamped on a machined surface on the top outer edge of the left cylinder bank, between the middle branches of the exhaust manifold) will be a 4 if it is a 264 and 5,6 or 7 if a 322. Take a picture of the splines on the rear of the tranny and I can tell if it is a 54/5 or 56 tranny. If indeed this is a 56 set up, it would make a fine set up for a period correct hot rod. Can't believe some Hamber hasn't scooped it up.