26 clutch problems

hidden_hunter

So my previous efforts to fix the clutch failed and I have pulled the 26 apart again (took about a 1/3 of the time now I know what I'm doing!)

This time I've taken it all apart and it appears that the hub the clutch gear shaft slots into has had large chunks taken out of it. Luckily I bought a replacement clutch last weekend that included a new hub but I don't want to put that in before I know what likely caused this to happen on my existing one. There also appears to be scoring on the flywheel centre(and matching on the hub) but I'm not sure what that should/shouldn't look like and a bit of a lip. It does appear that the problem with engaging gears was caused by the hub not sliding freely but that's just a best guess at the moment

The clutch itself appears to still have some meat left on it and there doesn't appear to be any sign of anything leaking past the transmission or engine

(for those following the previous thread, I also removed the remaining bits of that rag I found in the transmission :D )

Hopefully from these pictures someone has a suggestion what I should be looking for. Can take more pictures if it would help identify the likely cause?

post-99330-143142628054_thumb.jpg

and the usual, anything else to look at while i'm down in the depths

post-99330-143142627988_thumb.jpg

post-99330-143142628004_thumb.jpg

post-99330-143142628017_thumb.jpg

post-99330-14314262803_thumb.jpg

post-99330-143142628042_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)

I had the same problem where the driven hub had slots like yours worn in it (the clutch did work ok though). The problem was the the driven discs have little formed "feet' where they bear on the hub. Those were worn off and just the thin metal disc was riding on the hub, thus wearing groves. New discs fixed that. You might post a photo of what yours look like.

That hub is very badly worn, I would try and pick up a better one if possible. the teeth are meant to have the flats on the ends, for both the flywheel and the hub. I would,t use that hub, you would continue to have clutch problems.

post-64273-143142629103_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142629106_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142629109_thumb.jpg

rebuilt a clutch using good parts from both of the clutches, the linings on my clutch were only lightly used (compared to the spec in the shop manual). Most of my original clutch is junk, most of the teeth were ground to shark teeth and the hub was gouged up. Clutch is in, transmission is attached and seems to slide in and out smoothly. Unfortunately it got dark before I got a chance to get everything back in but I"ll give it a shot on the weekend and report back

quick update

everything is back together again and sliding in and out of gears perfectly - no noise no fuss. Probably a combination of all the well worn bits (the bits of the clutch that had been transformed into sharks teeth or the gouged hub probably didn't help) that caused it to stop working.

Also took the opportunity to re-grease the brake bar and equalizer... think I might need to readjust as my next job :D

• 2 weeks later...