Funky Starting

Guest Hephaestus

Guest Hephaestus

I just bought an '88 with 70,000 miles. It needs various cosmetic TLC but my immediate focus is the crazy starting procedure. The previous owner said the ignition switch went bad so he tried to change it. He got the new tumbler in but couldn't figure out the wiring. So if the battery is left connected all interior electronics remain on as if the key is turned to the accessory position. So with the battery connected, I have to "hotwire" it with a series of 3 wires jumped into slots of a wiring connector. While driving, if one of the wires falls out of the connector the car stops running. So I basically think I need a description of how all this stuff goes back together so it starts and stops like a normal car. I know this isn't the most detailed description, so let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum!

There are three different systems in the steering column that work together to make the car start when you turn the ignition key. There is a lock mechanism at the top of the column, an electrical switch located at the bottom of the column, and linkage that connects them together. The linkage (actuator rack) is prone to breaking. You can read about it here. I'll bet that is your problem.

The lock (tumbler) has no wires going to it so it is not causing electrical issues. You can try going into the column to replace the actuator rack but it is not an easy job and you will need special tools. You could also try replacing the ignition switch at the bottom of the column.

Not knowing for sure what all the previous owner did inside the steering column, I think the easiest way to fix your problem might be to install a different steering column with a good ignition lock, rack and switch. That way you just have to bolt it in and plug in the electrical connections and you will be good to go. Hopefully the previous owner didn't screw anything up other than something inside the steering column.

Jim Finn (jfinn@cpinternet.com) probably has a good used one that he could sell you at a reasonable price.

OK does the starter work when you turn the key ? If so the mechanical part is probably OK. The switch itself is at the base of the steering colum on top and is easier to get to if you drop the column a but (two big screws once wou get the covers off).

For an 88 use the 89 FSM downloadable from reatta.net. The differences are minor and not in this area. To comply with GM legal you must register (no cost) to access.

Guest Hephaestus

Thanks for the welcome and tips. When I turn the key in the tumbler it only unlocks the steering wheel. The only way to start it (and keep it running) is to rig those jumper wires together. If I got pulled over the cops would think it's stolen because of the hot wired bundle hanging from the column!