Did I pay too much for this '63

MrEarl

Guest mstanleyfl

This advertising poster is an important part of Lamar's strategy to get the CFO prepared to write larger and larger checks....

Select the quote that best applies:

1. "If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut."

2. "If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut."

3. "If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut."

Bernie

Not a advertising poster expert but considering the content, originality, condition, and subject matter being 63 first year Riv I would say $30 + 8 shipping you got a bargain. Nice score

I'll pass that on to the wife, thanks Jason

This advertising poster is an important part of Lamar's strategy to get the CFO prepared to write larger and larger checks....

actually when I showed it to the CFO her response was "you better be saving your money for the real thing instead of buying $40 pictures". Of course she's right....again

Select the quote that best applies:

1. "If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut."

2. "If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut."

3. "If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut."

Bernie

Dang, tha's a tough one Bernie...

Guest clamshells

Everyone has an opinion here is mine: If you like it, buy it. If you buy things so you can brag about the deal you got, then buy it. If 40.00 or 4000.00 breaks your comfort zone buy a Prius and go around bragging about how much money you save on gas. Worse yet buy a Volt for 50K and brag about you 3 hour driving time on level ground with no radio, A/C and how hot chicks undress you while you charge your car to get home.

Yeah more of a rant then my opinion.

I don't have a 63, if I could a 65 I'd buy it and never tell anyone how much it cost because its none of their flipping business.

You did good MrEarl that is nifty piece for your man cave.

I can't remember if I paid $1900 or $2100 for my '64. It was one of the two, but I was 30 then and impetuous. Some of the smarter guys picked on me for paying so much. They knew you could buy them for a thousand bucks all day long.

Ooops! now the secret is out.

Bernie

Well if it will help, I'll give you $2,200 for it and you can go back and tell those smarty pants "na-na-na-naa-na!!!"

actually what compelled me to post about my purchase was what was meant to be a jovial title and have some of you raising your eyebrows and saying "MrEarl bought a 63 Riv already!!!?? My attempts at humor never work out. Maybe if I hang here with the likes of Bernie I will learn something from the master.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Humor doesn't work in emails or online.

I did catch that the post was suspiciously like the Time Warner ad where the guy bought too much furniture. The uncompleted sentence style I learned from Kurt Vonnegut in Breakfast of Champions

That nominal two grand for a 14 year old Riviera in 1978 with inflation calculates to about $7200 out of pocket and after taxes today. If I was 30 years old again I would have to earn about $12,000 to have the cash to buy the same car today.

Before you buy the first generation get thoroughly familiar with them personally, maybe even buy a cheap runner as a test and compare it closely to a '66. I have had both ('64. '66, '68 too.) and I always liked the extra 2" or so of elbow room in the '66. It is pretty easy to buy a cheap version, drive it for a couple of months, and sell it just to really know where the bigger bucks are going. You might even make a little. If I did that today I might choose the '66.

Oh, those guys whom thought I paid too much; one is still around. They were of a particular genetic lineage that forces them to always pay less and sell for more. Otherwise they can't go to Big Tony's annual picnic.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

When showing off my fairly recent purchased '63 to friends or others usually the first question asked is "what did you pay for it"? Reckon that's a natural curiosity or, they are trying to establish that I'm 1)a good negotiator 2) I'm a cheepo 3) I have too much money and too little brains 4) The court should appoint a conservator for my estate. My stock reply: "More than I wanted to but less than it's worth." My Rotary Club is having a fund raiser and suggests I put the Riv up as a raffle item. They fit in category 3. BTW Bernie, where is Big Tony's picnic being held this year? I need to set the date on my calendar.

Minga, I don't even get invited. Its a "family" thing.

My stock answer is that I have more cars than a sane person. And I usually pay the asking price for a car. I am more selective about the personality of the previous owner. I only buy from nice people with a pleasant attitude. I have found their personality stays with the karma of the car. So I prefer not to generate my endorphins by beating a guy up in the car purchase. I also am dead certain the "entry fee" is only a small fraction of what it is going to cost at show time. They used to run Vaudeville shows up in Buffalo through the 1970's. Ever been to one? The theme is a lot like owning a collector car.

I like #3. My first 4 adult years were spent as a sailor, I'm Irish, and I don't drink. I need a bigger garage!

Well, I'm off the make the '48 Packard I bought three weeks ago legally mine......

Bernie