Intermittent *Electrical Problem* lamp lit up on dashboard (IPC) of my 1990 Buick Reatta.

Machiner 55

Several weeks ago the lamp (idiot light) that says *Electrical Problem* was coming on intermittently.

It kept going away of its own accord and I didn't experience any problems that I could relate to it's presents.

One morning while driving to work, the engine seemed a little rough. The lamp was on again and I noticed that the volt meter was reading low. I made it to work and parked the car. A few hours later I went out and tried to start it. No dice. Battery was dead, kaput. I had my wife bring me my spare battery and swapped them out before heading home.

I was able to pull the codes and there was one regarding the battery condition. I can't now recall which codes. (should have written it down) I started checking connections and kind of recalled someone, in a past post, mentioning something about the Batt. connection on the alternator. So, I checked and found that the nut that holds the cable lug to the threaded stud was tight but the stud itself that attaches to the alternator was loose. Probably got loose the last time I pulled the alternator. I removed the nut and screwed the stud in tight (not too) then reattached the cable and nut. The lamp hasn't come back on and have had no starting issues since. Anyway...

I just thought I post this in case someone else has that *Electrical Problem* lamp come on. Might be something as simple as this.

post-67519-143142627454_thumb.jpg

John F.

Guest Corvanti

i can't recall the code, but everytime i unhooked the neg cable on my '89 for service, i'd get the code with a "H" once hooked back up.

i also got the "electrical problem" several times when i was near a short wave radio tower nearby. same location several times. no codes showed (???).

i reckon i forgot to wear my "tinfoil hat"...:P