PLEASE HELP DECODE DATA PLATE 1954 CADILLAC

Marty Roth

I would appreciate knowing how this 1954 Cadillac convertible was originally built, as defined by the Data Plate and VIN"

VIN: 546252458 - is this 1954,Series 62, sequence #52,458 (between 00,001 and 96,680)?

54-6267X -- I believe this decodes as "F" Convertible Coupe CVT

Body NO FW 3719 - What does this mean ?

Trim NO 42 - Please identify ?

Paint NO 10 F - What is the "10" ? - and what is the "F"

Top 3 Acc E-H - What is the "3" ? - and what do the "E" and the "H" designate

Thank you for your research and assistance. I'll soon ask similar questions per my 1941 and 1970 if I cannot find the answers myself.

post-54863-143142627276_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142627301_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142627326_thumb.jpg

I'd go over to the Cadillac LaSalle Club forum and ask there. I'm sure those guys would know the specifics. The "top 3" would be the code for the color of the top. For the paint code the 10 would be the color, I'm not sure what the F would be. And the accessory code could be for things like ultronic eye, signal seeking radio, fog lights, ect. "FW 3719" means it was the 3719th 62 series conv. built for 1954. FW is short for Fleetwood. The X in 6267X I believe denotes denotes power windows. While I believe all convertibles had power windows, I believe you could get coupes, sedans, ect with roll up windows hence the special designation. Your VIN decoding is correct. The number on the frame should match the engine number if its the original engine. If you go on the Cadillac LaSalle Club website there's a link where you can order the original built sheet for your 1954 & 1941 Cadillacs for around $50. We've done it for our cars and is well worth it. It will tell you what distributorship the car was sold through, so you can know what part of the country it was from when new.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

DJ (Bleach),

K8096,

Thank you both for the quick and excellent response. This really helps me to document my driver '54. It really is a fun car to cruise cross-country. So far everything appears to be correct, with the possible exception of the shade chosen when the car was repainted. It looks similar to Cabot Gray in some light, but in the sun it looks more as an off-white toward an Ice-Blue. The paint dates to around 1980 according to the gentleman whose father did the car at that time. The convertible top may very well be original, and while surprisingly excellent, now has a small split on either side of the rear curtain. I've learned that "Orlon" convertible tops were standard equipment on the Eldorado, Series 62 cars came standard with canvas - but apparently a dealer could special-order "Orlon" (similar to what we now call "Vinyl"?), as was likely the case for this car.

Commodore,

Thank you. That is an amazing source of detail and background.

I appreciate your sharing this link, and was able to modify the link to find comparable material for our 1941 and 1970 Cadillacs.

I was not able to find comparable links for the Buicks but hope that they also exist, and that someone can point me in the right direction

Commodore,

Once again you have come through with great information and the link to support it.

I downloaded the Caddy Data, and will order the Buick materials

Thanks -

Marty

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys My name is Fred and need quick help to interpret the 536245193.  I am about to buy literally a Barn Find here in Colombia.  We are a muscle car shop, all american muscle, for the last 30 years.  This car is "advertised" as an El Dorado, but to my understanding 53 el Dorados were al convertible, this is a Hard top two door coupe.  I would like help in decoding what car version it is.  I have asked local Government for import papers for the car.  It is sitting in a barn rusting away and I see it as my duty to get this beauty on the road again.  Please help me out!!!  thanks!!

Just now, FREDSOUTHOFBORDER said:

Hi Guys My name is Fred and need quick help to interpret the 536245193.  I am about to buy literally a Barn Find here in Colombia.  We are a muscle car shop, all american muscle, for the last 30 years.  This car is "advertised" as an El Dorado, but to my understanding 53 el Dorados were al convertible, this is a Hard top two door coupe.  I would like help in decoding what car version it is.  I have asked local Government for import papers for the car.  It is sitting in a barn rusting away and I see it as my duty to get this beauty on the road again.  Please help me out!!!  thanks!!

Any photos?