Head rests

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I am now on my 3rd Reatta, had the seats out of the black one and the white one for thorough cleaning, and while cleaning up this set of tan ones to be redone I discover the headrests tilt, who knew lol

I am now on my 3rd Reatta, had the seats out of the black one and the white one for thorough cleaning, and while cleaning up this set of tan ones to be redone I discover the headrests tilt, who knew lol
Not me. I know they adjusted up and down but I didn't know they tilted. How do you make them tilt? Is that only on 16 way seats or do the standard seats have tilting headrests too?

Sure enough. Just checked the 'vert and they tilt forward from normal position. Never knew these were articulating headrests until now. Need to check the 88's to see if this was standard from the start or a running change.

KDirk

Sure enough. Just checked the 'vert and they tilt forward from normal position. Never knew these were articulating headrests until now. Need to check the 88's to see if this was standard from the start or a running change.

KDirk

Are the ones you checked on 16 way seats or standard?

Ronnie,

Standard (6-way) on the roadster. That said, I have assumed the headrests to be the same on both types of seats.

Just confirmed this on my 88 with 16 ways, the headrests tilt on those as well. I need to look at the owners manual and see if it shows this as a feature. I never recall seeing it mentioned there or in the FSM.

KDirk

I just tried mine for a second time applying more pressure and they tilt too. I'll bet mine had never been tilted since new. Once I got them to move they got easier to tilt. I actually think I'm going to like them better tilted. Raining here so I don't want to drive to tell for sure.

Guest my3buicks

I was so excited, I love this feature on cars. Made me love the Reatta's even more. I guess my "who knew" was pretty accurate lol

Keith,

After your post I went out to check the headrests on my '90.

There didn't seem to be any new "action" on them. Apparently I don't know what "tilt" means.

I went to my "Office" and I picked up a headrest from a seat pulled from an '88 and low... it does indeed move as you said.

Gotta go back out and recheck the '90 again. Like you said, "Who knew?".

Well, checked the '90 again and found that they do in fact tilt!

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

They are on my '89 coupe. Amazingly stiff from lack of usage, but after a few good grunts I was able to make both of them swivel forward.

Not really sure if it's anything I would use and, frankly, I personally don't care for the appearance when they're tilted.

PontiacDude210 I suggest you put some muscle into it 'cause they are probably on your '90.

Bob

I checked my 90 coupe and it does not seem to have this function. I'm disappointed.
I'll bet they do. Probably just stuck. The way I got mine to tilt the first time was to lean the seat forward, sit behind the seat and grasp the headrest on each side and twist it forward. The headrest pivots at the ends of the rods where they attach inside the headrest.

On my -90 vert., after trying, I was pretty sure they didn't tilt, but since it looked like earlier and later ones did tilt, I tried again. After much force, I found the passanger side did tilt a very small amount, maybe 1/2" or so, but the drivers side did not tilt. Then more effort on the drivers side-almost afraid of breaking something, and it started to tilt, then good range on the tilt. Back to the passanger side and again, with much effort got it to tilt with good range too. My guess is they all tilted, but in some cases, the mechanism may have aged to where you can't get them to tilt. So, now I can have a more comfortable ride to get my pulled muscle repaired!!!!! (not really).

Tom

Guest PontiacDude210

Holy.... It worked! I took your advice of one hand on either side of the headrest and it worked. That's so much more comfortable with the headrest tilted. Thanks guys!