Starter help

stakeside

I have a 29 DB truck with the 6 volt system. I am considering placing a solenoid in the started system. It came with the floor plunger type button and the solenoid would assist in better starter performance. The old plunger could be use as a switch.

1) will a ford solenoid work?

2) do I need a relay in the circuit?

If any one has a wire diagram it would be helpful.

Guest Commodore

OK, the floor plunger type starter does two things when the floor plunger is pushed in. First it push the starter gear into mesh with the ring gear. Next it closed a switch to supply power to the starter. So adding a solenoid which just electrically operated switch would do nothing to improve starter performance since it already has one switch in the circuit. Rather try a jury rig something to work around a problem with your starting system, why don't tell us that problem is. So we can help you fix it.

OK, the floor plunger type starter does two things when the floor plunger is pushed in. First it push the starter gear into mesh with the ring gear. Next it closed a switch to supply power to the starter. So adding a solenoid which just electrically operated switch would do nothing to improve starter performance since it already has one switch in the circuit. Rather try a jury rig something to work around a problem with your starting system, why don't tell us that problem is. So we can help you fix it.

Do not want a jury rig for sure. I have see the solenoid used on an engine like mine.

My plunger is nothing more than an on or off switch. Pushing down only provides continuity from battery to starter. Very simple method but it requires a lot of pressure. A solenoid uses an electric current to force internal plunger to provide continuity.

Guest Commodore
Do not want a jury rig for sure. I have see the solenoid used on an engine like mine.

My plunger is nothing more than an on or off switch. Pushing down only provides continuity from battery to starter. Very simple method but it requires a lot of pressure. A solenoid uses an electric current to force internal plunger to provide continuity.

A couple things here. People who were using a solenoid were probably using a later model starter that did not use the floor plunger system. Second, the switch takes very little to operate. Pushing the the starter gear into mesh with the ring gear takes most of the effort. Have you checked to see that the floor plunger is working freely and not wore out, binding or gummed up?