1927 Chevy Vacuum tank 493-A or U-7

Guest art s

The smaller Chevrolet 4 cylinders used a 4 screw top stewart warner vacuum tank. I have been told that since it only had 4 screws that they were a little more prone to leaking vacuum. If it is not going to be a judged car the 8 screw tank is much easier to find. The fellow where I store my car has several hundred of these and rebuilds them as a side business. The tricky part is getting the vacuum vent just right so the car doesn't falter too much when the tank is full of gas and it vents to atmosphere.

Guest art s

I did not understand what you are saying you heard the opposite about. Was it the leaking top part or the size of the relief orifice? If you would like I can PM with his phone #. He does not have a computer, they lead a very private life. The VCCA has a great web site with a buy and sell area, or like the other fellow said you can watch greed bay.

This is the vacuum pump in my Dodge.

The inner canister has a very thin, narrow, flange on it which sits, metal to metal, on the face of the outer canister.

A single cork gasket is used between the top cover and canisters as cork will allow for the minute difference in the thickness of the inner and outer canisters to form an air tight seal.

This is where more screws come into play.......more screws, more compression.

As long as the gas inlet and vacuum valve seats are good it's next to infallible and totally unaffected by any fuel.

On rare occasions the seats MAY become loose in which case a little Loc-tite will remedy that.......probably forever.

post-93523-143142639756_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142639766_thumb.jpg