30'-40's Mopar Bypass filter Assy ??? HELP

My 1939 C22 is fitted with a "Purolator or **unknown brand ?? by pass filter, after not owning car long I commenced a probably long overdue service including filter.

Low and behold Bypass Filter just had an unbranded filter cartridge flopping around inside cannister, nothing else !!! YIKES.

I'm sure there must be some cartridge sealing plates/spring/s etc, can any one assist with a cross section view or parts breakdown schematic.

If so I will try and improvise with some large washers, seals and springs. ( and a new cartridge but what size)

** The filter canister has no identifying decals or stampings so a bit of a mystery.The oil pressure line comes in to a central connection on top, and the return line comes from a central connection on the base, there are no drain plugs or other connections.

Last resort will be to buy another bypass filter Assembly, Aaaargh, more money, !!

Rich

Edited by trickydicky43richard
more info (see edit history)

There were several different flavors of oil filters, so you might be best off to take some careful measurements and look at the current offerings of brands that are available in your area. At least it does not sound like you have the disposable canister type which is good as the last main stream manufacturer of those ceased production 10 to 15 years ago. For what it is worth, some possible cross references for the canisters offered by Chrysler in the US are at http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group10#10-26-06

Some photos might help identify it. There weren't that many filter makers, I would guess half a dozen? And they all sold their products in garages and accessory shops. If it happens to be factory installed or dealer installed when the car was new it should be a cinch to identify. But in any case you should be able to get the proper filter, since the same type filters are still being used on tractors, industrial engines etc.

Thanks to all, To make my unknown brand By Pass filter to work,I need to direct topside incoming pressurized oil to outside of cartridge (the biggest surface area).

To do this I need an oil filter cartridge no more than 90mm (3 1/2" high) max 100mm (4" Dia) with a top hole minimum 11mm (7/16 Dia) and bottom hole min 7/16" but up to 17.5mm (11/16"dia) as I could get away with with a little alteration.

I found an old oil filter at a swap meet yesterday which would fit but unfortunately past its time, however I was able to cross reference the number to a Baldwin P7103, BUT THIS IS A FUEL FILTER, could I use one of these OK ??

T

NAPA 1080 is another one. The sealed ones come up from time to time NOS on ebay if you want the original look. Expect to pay about $45 a pop for them though.