1962 Starfire Headliner

Guest cmjplayboy

Guest cmjplayboy

I need to replace the headliner in my 62 Starfire and the original type material is not available . What is the best bet to retain some originality and where can I get the material. The current headliner is basically crumbling away. I may need to replace the boards also as they are drooping in places and won't stay up anymore.

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cmjplayboy

Have fabric ordered from SMS and cleaning up the boards. The problem is one of them has a big bulge (oil can) Is there a way to fix this or do I need to look for replacement board material wich probably also doesn't match original thickness and then try and get the curves on the end . Would much prefer to fix this, bad enough can't get original material any more. post-69814-143142657094_thumb.jpg

Guest cmjplayboy

Think I have a solution to the bulge There is plenty of rooom above the panel and the roof and I just happen tp have some 1/8th inch plywood laying around. I think if I glue a piece on to the top it will hold the bulge up. because of the curve on the ends can't just make a new panel, but gluing a piece into the middle will work I think. Will know in a day or two after the glue drys. Needed plenty of weight on it to hold it against the plywood, hopefully won't just peel off when take the weight off. The plywood even had a natural curve to fit the center section of the panel

Guest pete324rock

I have fixed cardboard by wetting it and putting weights on it for flat pieces and letting dry. More creative I suppose for curves. Fibreglass resin is a good strengthener. It sticks to everything.

At the time I had these made, there were no boards that I could locate, so after pursuing several suggestions, I went to a local art store , where the proprietor was not only an old car guy (he had a '55 T-Bird), but also was a former Marine, so I knew I would be getting good advice.

I bought from him two large (I think they were 48 x 60 inches) artist's poster boards, 1/16th inch thick. The guy who did the headliner then had the option (which he used) to double-ply them together to form a 1/8th inch thickness--enough to be durable, provide support, and be pliable enough to be molded (with careful use of a heat gun) to the contours of the edges of the roof lines where there was some rounding.

I did get the sun visors done through Acme Auto Headlining in Long Beach, California. I did speak to the proprietor there after my project was completed to thank him, and shortly thereafter we talked about the possibility that they might be coming out with a headliner set (with boards); that was two years ago. They may well have come up with something by now?!

Guest cmjplayboy

THe plywood seems to be working OK, but still have a little bit of bulging, but a lot better than it was. Waiting for material from SMS, not an exact color match, but close. to the color that was not exposed to the light and all that stuff that affects color. When I got it out of the car looked a lot lighter than I thought it looked in the car.