Early Dodge Bros. starter/generator

Guest b5rt

My father in law restored a 1916 Dodge many years ago and had an extra starter... just in case. He said it was a good unit and I wanted to have it tested but my local shop has no was to harness it to test it. Anyway, I'm curious what it might be worth as I've got no use for it at this time. Anyone have an idea of value, how many years it would've fit, etc.

post-74835-143142626635_thumb.jpg

post-74835-143142626638_thumb.jpg

Worth is a hard question.

I've seen some go without a $100 bid on properly classified ebay auctions.

When I thought I might need one I'd have paid a lot more than THAT.......I was at the end of my rope until Jason at www.aerrebuild.com chimed in.

I'd buy yours in a flash but I can't see mine ever going to pot.

Those are some of the best built things ever!

I thought it looked like a GA. A GA is not correct for a '16, should be a G. You can test it by hooking up battery cables.

Do you know what year(s) it would be correct for?

Worth is a hard question.

I've seen some go without a $100 bid on properly classified ebay auctions.

When I thought I might need one I'd have paid a lot more than THAT.......I was at the end of my rope until Jason at www.aerrebuild.com chimed in.

I'd buy yours in a flash but I can't see mine ever going to pot.

Those are some of the best built things ever!

I remember him saying 20 years ago that it was probably worth $100, but that was before the internet connected everyone too. The owner of my local rebuilding shop was intrigued by it saying he remembered seeing the car and knew he probably had a spare starter, but had no interest in one for his shelf.

I've also got this pamphlet that appears to be missing its cover. post-74835-143142626989_thumb.jpg

I can not believe how heavy this booger is. Shipping it will be a little costly for the new buyer but packing it up on my end with regard to ensuring its integrity is going to be challenging too.

post-74835-143142626985_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain.......I couldn't BELIEVE how heavy that thing is!....... :eek:

If mine wasn't in such great shape I'd happily buy yours.........but as I said I can't see it failing in my lifetime. (I'm 62)

By the way.......1920's Dodge and 1925 Dodge are 2 of my ebay saved searches so I've been watching this stuff for over a year on, pretty much, a daily basis.

Guest mikeburch
I remember him saying 20 years ago that it was probably worth $100, but that was before the internet connected everyone too. The owner of my local rebuilding shop was intrigued by it saying he remembered seeing the car and knew he probably had a spare starter, but had no interest in one for his shelf.

I've also got this pamphlet that appears to be missing its cover. [ATTACH=CONFIG]259778[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]259779[/ATTACH]

I can not believe how heavy this booger is. Shipping it will be a little costly for the new buyer but packing it up on my end with regard to ensuring its integrity is going to be challenging too.

If it will fit into one of the Post Office's Flat Rate Shipping Boxes, it won't be bad at all. If it will fit into the Large box, it can be shipped, anywhere in the fifty states, for about $15.00. Weight does not matter. That is the way to ship heavy objects. Just make sure that you pack it tight.

mikeburch

Guest daboss98
If it will fit into one of the Post Office's Flat Rate Shipping Boxes, it won't be bad at all. If it will fit into the Large box, it can be shipped, anywhere in the fifty states, for about $15.00. Weight does not matter. That is the way to ship heavy objects. Just make sure that you pack it tight.

mikeburch

Hi,

I'm a total novice at this as I am just trying to help my dad find parts for his 1927 DB Victory Six car, would your starter work for a 1927?

Thanks!

Hi, The unit pictured is a Model GA and would fit cars from '23 to '26. It is 12v. The '16 may use a Model D, 4 wire (up to S/N 90,000) then a early model G possibly with NO field fuse depending on the car Serial Number. As to the intrinsic value a completely rebuilt unit could be worth $350 ish. However I personally would not pay more than $25 - $35 for a basic core with so many possible problems inside like a shorted armature despite the unrealistic Ebay prices I have seen. As to shipping yes these units properly boxed may weigh in at 55 lb. Please do NOT ship in the 'If it fits it ships' box. Both UPS and FEDEX as well as USPS use the 'drop kick test' and when it is inevitably dropped there WILL be damage to end castings. I would suggest a double box method where one tight fitting box is surrounded by a larger box with much peanuts like 3"-4" for padding. Good Luck.

Rodger "Dodger"

If you do ship it in a USPS large flat rate box be sure and write HEAVY on it and use plenty of padding and tape. I shipped a North East starter to a guy and someone within the post office dropped it then the buyer was not happy to say the least. The flat rates are covered by insurance of up to $100 if I recall.

Having said that, my guess is this unit will not fit in a flat rate box though.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)