Need the "Cliff's Notes" on '52 320 cu. in. engines

Roadmaster75

I know, I know… should search the forums , but I'm lazy today.

I may be purchasing a pair of 1952 Roadmaster 320 engines from an

older gentleman down the road that has had them stored for years & they are

not frozen up. I'm located in rural N. Illinois about 60 miles west of Chicago.

I would intend to re-build one or both for fun.

Completeness of both engines will be an important buying point. I don't want to get into sourcing

a lot of scarce, expensive parts to make a complete engine.

Quick questions:

- I'm pretty sure these motors would be insert bearings for both mains and rods..right?

- If so, are the bearings readily available or….?

- Did all Roadmasters in 1952 have 4 barrel carbs? What were they?

- general idea of how much the parts should cost for a complete re-build; incl. valve job, valve train parts, etc?

- any other pointers on what to look for or check out when looking at them?

Apparently, this fellow has these motors AND a complete 1937 Special drive train; PLUS

a 1954 Packard 359 cu. in. straight 8. A car buddy of mine wants the Packard motor.

Any guidance will be most appreciated!

Yes, they will have insert bearings; yes, all '52 Roadmasters are supposed to have 4-barrel carburetors--Stromberg, I believe. Yes, all rebuild parts are readily available, but the three-piece exhaust manifold is prone to cracking and can be expensive to replace--actually it's four pieces if you count the butterfly valve housing. The portion that accommodates the four-barrel carb is very rare--one-year-only and only on the Roadmaster. Carbruretor base-to-intake manifold gasket is just about impossible to find.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

The carb base to intake gaskets are plentiful. The exhaust manifold is an engineering fault. Stromberg carbs were installed. They also came with a slightly more desirable carter w.c.f.b. 894s (Will Carter Four Barrel) They also have hydraulic lifters.

I'm having hardened seats (for unleaded fuel), full valve job, guides installed, springs checked etc. as needed on my 52' 320 for between 3-$400 as we speak. They are an advertised 7.5:1 compression. They are torqey, low r.p.m. engines.

Edited by rapidride2 (see edit history)

The carb base to intake gaskets are plentiful

Okay, so I'm a liar. Would you care to tell me where to find one? Bob's Automobilia does not carry them. CARS, Inc. does not have them. You cannot find them on Ebay. I searched for three months when I needed one a few years ago. Would you care to sell me one now, for the next time I need one? Would like to buy one from you.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

Guest shadetree77
The carb base to intake gaskets are plentiful

Okay, so I'm a liar. Would you care to tell me where to find one?

Lol, Pete I was wondering the same. I've had several people ask me where to get one and I've always told them they are hard, if not impossible, to find. It would be nice to know where they are so I could have an answer for the next time someone asks.

Ok, that guy at the Carburetor Shop makes most of his carburetor kits and gaskets by hand, to order, and charges prices commensurate with fine, hand-built craftsmanship. I wouldn't call one made-to-order '52 carburetor base gasket "plentiful". How about selling me one of yours, rapidride2, if they are that plentiful?

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Well I got a quick peek at these engines today. The man said they were both from

1952 Roadmasters. Both are well kept and spin freely.

Unfortunately, they are both missing the correct exhaust

and intake manifolds.

The first two images are the number pads on the blocks. Can we tell

if this is indeed what they are?

He thought the Dynaflow pictured was on one of them, but wasn't sure. Can anyone tell from this number on the

trans?

The picture of the intake is a 2 Barrel manifold with a two barrel carb & was bolted up

to one motor; so, Someone must have put an older intake and carb on the motor. Don't know what year it

may have been from…. anyone recognize it?

Also, missing for one motor is the plate that goes between the block and trans ; as well as the flywheel.

He had both starters, distributors, generators, water pumps, fuel pumps, oil filter housings, etc. I'd still have to buy good used intakes and exhausts

and the missing flywheel/starter plate.

The cost of sourcing these items may put a "fun" winter project into bigger dollars that I want to spend.

My thought was to re-build one stock & one with some tweaks...

He's asking $1000 for all this stuff……. a lot of cast iron to think about!

What do you fellas think..?

BTW,

He also has a complete (air cleaner to pan) '37 Special engine and trans for $500.

Lastly, he has a 48 Roadmaster stick shift bell housing and trans for sale… didn't ask the price

but if anyone is interested…let me know and I'll find out. (OR, will it fit onto one of these 2 motors

with a bearing pressed into the crank?)

post-71419-143142631624_thumb.jpg

post-71419-143142631607_thumb.jpg

post-71419-143142631614_thumb.jpg

post-71419-143142631618_thumb.jpg

A gentleman named Gerry Duttweiler makes aftermarket intake and exhaust manifolds if that interests you. 51' roadmaster had 2 bbl carbs on them. There is a person who has installed fuel injection on a 263 (I believe his name is jyrki) He's over on the team buick website.

http://forums.aaca.org/f118/1950-special-modified-12v-efi-345328.html

(I already had the page up...looks like the only way to drive my 55 in the mountains with this volatile crap for gas)

Thanks for refreshing my memory on this link, OldTank

Very encouraging…...

I know everyone is at the Nats, but does anyone recognize the number on the DynaFlow picture above?

Does it look like it would be a mate to one of those '52 320's …….?

If I buy these I'll have to source a flywheel, '52 4BBL intakes, and exhaust manifolds.

My plan to build a STOUT engine test stand would be accelerated, too!

THanks fellas!