My 57 Buick Century

Yohdda

Hello,

My name is Jason, and I live in Camrose, Alberta. You may have seen a few of my post that has asked questions to some issue that I was having with my Buick (A big thank you to all that helped me along). My wife Bree, and I have recently was gifted a 1957 Buick Century from Bree's mom. The car belonged to her dad, but he passed away 12 years ago at the age of 52, and the car was sitting on blocks ever since. This spring we asked if we could get it running again, and the mother was more than happy to let us get the old girl running again. Bree has three other siblings, and they never showed any interest in the car, so when we wanted to take the Buick out and go cruising, and take it to show and shines, etc, she was more than excited. A few weeks later she gifted it to us.

It needed some work, new water pump, dynaflow leak, brakes, dash lights, radio, cooling issue, converted to pertronix electronic ignition, and a few other items. Items left to fixed are the exhaust system, speedometer, and maybe a carb overhaul.

I have done all the work myself and enjoy every bit of it!!! We are leaving today on a road trip to the west coast, and then going to end up in Portland for the Buick meet. I am also bringing along my mother-in-law, and one of Bree's sisters. We are all really excited!!!

Here is a photo with me in our Buick.

post-101346-143142625498_thumb.jpg

I really enjoy these forums, and looking forward to maybe meeting a few of you in Portland!

Jason,

Nice ride you have there! Glad you got the beauty back on the road, because these babies are meant to be driven! Also glad the that the Forum team could be a help to you. You need to post some more pictures of this car so we all can drool a bit, especially those who can't make it to Portland. Have a safe and fun journey!

Congratulations Jason!

Great story and a beautiful automobile. As a Century fan, I am committed to say so anyway. Looking forward to follow the progress and way ahead. The forum is fantastic and there is always help to get. Like Jim who replied before me, has helped me out several times, and others as well.

Good luck!

Hey Guys,

It really has been a pleasure owning this beauty so far. Every time I take it out I get a "nice car" or a thumbs up! We love it!

Here are some more pics, the first one is Bree and myself posing with the Buick.

post-101346-1431426262_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626104_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626113_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626122_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626131_thumb.jpg

post-101346-14314262614_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626148_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626157_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626166_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626174_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626183_thumb.jpg

post-101346-143142626192_thumb.jpg

Jason, what a great car, is it really the original paint and chrome, if so - unbelievable and how could it be possible. Guess you spent some hours, cleaning, buffing to get that shine. Wish you a safe and good trip to Portland. Thanks for posting this pictures and sharing your story! Please keep us informed.:)

Hello all, the paint isn't original, or is the chrome. It was all redone back in 1989. The interior paint is original, but the seats was redone back in 89 as well. We are in Spokane tonight, and should arrive in Astoria tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the complements!

And today I have gotten at least 20 or so "nice car" comments, and many more nods or waves. This is our first classic car and we didn't realize how much attention an old beauty like this would get.

Ey, so I have made it to Portland! A alternator and a vacuum advance later though.... We are staying at the holiday inn down the street and looking forward to meeting so!e fellow Buick owners! I wish we could have stayed at the red lion inn, but they were booked up over a month ago. .

Hope to see some of you soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259695[/ATTACH]

What a beautiful Buick! One of those rare 4-doors that looks just as good as a 2-door hardtop. If I wasn't so deep into my Roadmaster, I'd be driving a '57 Century. Mind you, mine would have a two-piece tailgate - a Caballero wagon.

• 2 weeks later...
I seen a 57 2 door super here for sale. It looks to be all redone to 100% original. Grey on black.

;)

Jason

WOW I will give you a thumbs up as well :cool: the photos are great

What was the price on the super ????

Matt

Yohdda, Sorry I missed meeting you in Portland. What an exceptional Buick! There were so many exceptional Buicks this year, cars Easteners only dream about. I would have liked to have have made your acquaintance. It was nice of you to bring your wife's family to the Meet. I hope you all had a good time.

• 1 year later...

My instrument lights do not work. Need to remove the light switch.  Can anyone show me where that spring loaded latch button is located at?  I cannot find it! In the manual in Fig 10-52 it shows the switch but doesn't show where the spring loaded latch button is!  I have felt all over and can't seem to find it. Yes I have a Century I am trying to get completed to drive to functions.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Lee, the button is very small and on the "flat side" of the switch underneath the (or on the side, depending on how the switch is oriented in the IP) Just pull the switch knob out, then press and hold the button while pulling the knob and rod completely out of the switch. Once you have done that, you can remove the switch by unscrewing the fastener that is in the housing where the knob pulled out from. Once that is removed you can remove the bezel on the front and the switch from the rear of the IP. I hope this helps you.