4 cyl.model distributor cap change.

Leif Holmberg

Leif,

I think if you got into a parts store to look at all the caps they stock, you might find one with enough material on the base to machine it without the metal adapter. This would be a great project for a computer whiz kid to do on a CNC machine tool. Then use the program to make them on an as needed basis rather than a production run.

• 1 month later...

Mark.I found a VW 1960 -1964 dist.cap and rotor (for $5 ),I had to grind 1/16 inside the dist. on the diameter just to have the cap fitting.And of course some other grindings to.But the easiest way is if the dist.cap brackets and the spark cable are on the same place as on the old dist.cap.Now I had to turn the rotor about 45 degrees.I`m sure anyone else will find a better solution with a dist cap that will fit without a lot of work.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143142701513_thumb.jpg

post-31268-14314270153_thumb.jpg

As you can see on the picture I cutted of the rotor and made a tube to fit inside the rotor.Then I drilled a hole for the "pinn" but not exakt in the middle of the hole,and moved about 45 degrees.And used epoxi to get it to stay in the right possition.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143142702023_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142702054_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

You will not have any problem to start the car after washing it,that was the problem at first,but the original dist cap isn`t the very best way to made dist. as.Not many other car maker those days had that type of dist cap.If you have a spark plugg not working well it will be soot inside the dist.and that will cause flash over inside.

Leif in Sweden.