Windshield Replacement

Blue90

With 223,000 miles showing on the odometer I finally decided to take advantage of my $100 deductible for my comprehensive coverage and get a new windshield.

My insurance company (State Farm) was very good about it; didn't even ask to see the vehicle.

The glass company found one in a warehouse in Eugene, OR, about two hours south of here. I asked if it was a Pilkington; they said yes.

They're sending a technician to my house Tuesday to install it.

My question is: With the windshield out, is there anything I should check/replace that can't be done with the windshield in place?

Thanks

Guest Mc_Reatta

Check the condition of your photocell, ambient temperature sensor and the upper power inverter as it would be much easier to get at these upper dash located items with windshield out. Not sure how the glass guy will feel standing around while you are working on them though. Take care of any corrosion issues around the mounting flange while there too if there are any.

Ervin,

If you are referring to the rubber edging (encapsulation) then there is no concern on a new windshield as the encapsulation is factory applied. Just need to be sure it isn't damaged before installaing the glass. I would decline a windshield with visibly damaged encapsulation given that it is not seperately serviceable and the windshields are quite costly. On used windshields (pulls) be sure it is in good shape and not visibly deteriorated (dry rot, chunks missing). As well, if removing a windshield to be reinstalled later (as with a repaint for example) be extremely cautions not to cut or damage the encapsulated molding.

The big thing to watch out for are the auxiliary weather strips along the a-pillars that seal against the outer edge of the angled (forward) edge of the vent windows. These are seperate rubber strips from the main door opening weather stripping. These are very easy to cut and and damage while removing the old windshield adhesive bead due to their proximity to the inner edges of the windshield and pillar where the adhesive bead is applied.

Either advise the glass installer to be extra careful or remove these prior to cutting out the old windshield. These strips are held on with VHB or simiar double face tape.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)