53 SPECIAL HORN WIRE IN COLUMN

sweetpotato

The horn wire which comes up through the shaft has a flanged brass end on it (round and about 3/8 inch in diameter) which apparently is supposed to make contact with the recessed brass plate of the horn ring assembly. It sticks out of the shaft about 7/8 inch when pulled tight. It has some remains of a spring attached to it . There are obviously parts/including spring missing which insulate it from the shaft and allow it to remain stationary while the shaft turns but I don't know what they looked like. I suspect I will have to improvise here but a picture or words would help. I checked it out electrically and all is well there. The horn blows when the end is grounded. Thanks, Bob

O.K. I misspoke. I confused the upper shaft bearing (S) with what I thought goes in the end of the shaft for the wire to come through. I don't think whatever that is ain't shown in the picture. Anyway, I made something by grinding down a small firewall type grommet into a t shape. The ground end slips inside the shaft and the upper remaining flange rests on the end of the shaft with enough clearance for the steering wheel nut to clear. Then I ground a flanged nut so it slips over the wire and inside the grommet with the countersunk flange providing a base for the small spring to rest on. For the end of the wire which sits against the brass plate in the horn ring assembly I used a hollow one inch brass rivet , the upper half of which is solid,which I drilled out for the wire to go through to be soldered. Hopefully all this will provide good insulation from ground and Peggy Sue's horn will soon blow.