Chrysler C22 Royal Oil capaciities and modern lubricants

trickydicky43richard

I am interested to know the oil capacities of the Chrysler six 241.5 Cu in engine and O/D transmission, diff etc

My local manuals are vague and your advice would be appreciated, also there seems to be some controversy over engine oil and transmission lubricant recommendations using modern oils.

P.S Also a modern spark plug recommendation too please.

Over to the members for their views,

Thanks

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)

As I understand it, the issue with EP lubricants and older axles and/or transmissions it that early EP additives were not kind to brass and bronze parts. I notice that the EP gear lube that I use in my '33 Plymouth says that it is safe with yellow metals, so that worry might be a thing of the past. I don't know about the transmission in your C22, but in my older car without synchronizers, there are no yellow metal parts. Everything is steel in there (rollers and ball bearings instead of bushings, etc.). Likewise for the rear axle.

Reprints of the service manuals are available, I suggest that you get one for your car. It might well indicate in there that hypoid (EP) rated lubricants are required as I believe that Chrysler when to a hypoid rear end fairly early.

Guest Commodore

For spark plugs Autolite recommends for aluminum heads a non-resistor 216. For cast iron heads, two types a resistor plug 306 and a non-resistor 295. For oil a 10W-30 in your favorite bland will work. I know there is some controversy on ZDDP in modern oil. But ZDDP in high levels were not used before the mid-fifties. See this link for info on this.

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/oil_myths.pdf

These stayed the same for many years. My Service Data book shows this.

Did not answer before because my info only goes back to the C38. But its crankcase took 4 Imperial quarts 20(summer) 10 (winter) changed on the 49 models to 30 (summer) 10W(winter). This is for Canada where summer temp seldom gets above 80 F.

Transmission 2 1/3 lbs of 90 (summer) 80 (winter) changed to 80 summer and winter in 1949. With overdrive, 3 1/4 lbs. Rear axle 2 3/4 lbs of Hy 80.

Cooling system capacity 15 Imp quarts for all six cylinder models up to 1948. 49 up, 13.6.

Original equipment spark plugs for all Chryslers, six or eight, from 1946 to 49, A7-AN7 gap .030

My Motor manual has some different data. It goes back to the 1940 C25. Cooling system, 18 US quarts.Crankcase, 5 US quarts. Above +32F, 20. Above +10F, 20W. Above -10F, 10W. Trans, 2 3/4 pounds or pints. With overdrive 4 pints. 90 summer or winter, with overdrive SAE50. Differential 90H summer and winter.

Spark plugs AL-A7B gap .025

I am sure you know the difference between Imperial and US measure which accounts for most of the differences.