Stranded twice in my 60 Buick LeSabre

Guest AndiM

Guest AndiM

I have had my grandfather/father's LeSabre for a few months now and have really enjoyed tooling around since I got it back from the initial check up and repair visit to the shop. It starts right up in the garage every time. In the last week the generator light seems to linger, flashing on and off as I'm pulling out of my neighborhood until I get moving. For the second time this week, when running quick errands it wouldn't start back up. I had to sit and wait it out and it would finally start after 30 minutes rest. It wants to start but just won't catch. Any suggestions? It's a new battery. Thanks!! I'm suddenly feeling like I'm in way over my head.

Andi

Ignition components like the coil and condenser will fail intermittently after a heat soak. Also the highly volatile available gas will percolate or boil the contents of the carburetor into the intake manifold causing flooding. Next time it happens slowly push the gas pedal to the floor and then turn on the key. Keep it floored until it starts, cranking in 5 second bursts, only turning the key on and off. Report back.

Willie

Guest AndiM

Thanks Willie. The recipe handed down from my father to start the car is to pump the accelerator twice in the off position, then turn the key on and push the pedal slowly to the floor. That's how I start it every time.

I believe Willie was suggesting that due to engine heat after a run, some gas in the carb is boiling over and spilling into the intake manifold, essentially flooding the engine. There is not much anyone can do about this but it would call for a different starting recipe. One where you try to prevent adding more fuel to a flooded engine. To do that with the gas pedal starter one would follow what Willie said. With the key off, put your gas pedal to the floor once and keep it there, cycling the starter in short 5 second activations by turning the ignition switch from on to off. This will help clear the flooded condition and start your engine. It is important to keep your foot on the floor as each time you pump the pedal you add more raw gas to the intake making it harder to start. Naturally your original recipe is still valid for cold engine starts.

Guest AndiM

Got it! Thanks John! I was a little dense and stressed after being stranded. Now after reading your explanation and rereading Willie's response, what he wrote is clear to my non mechanical brain. I am getting an education. This makes total sense. Both times I've had difficulty it was on short trips, running into Starbuck's with my daughter, and picking up a prescription at the drug store. I didn't have this problem before I took it to the exhaust guy and thought it had something to do with what he did, but since then I've driven it more often and taken these two quick trips. Thanks to both of you for responding and making me stop second guessing my choice to bring this heirloom down from Jersey! I do love it!

I only give mine a pump on the first start of the day. Any other time I just turn on the key and step on the gas.

On the generator, if the car sat for some time the brushes could be sticking in their guides from a small high spot on the commutator and creeping back into place as you drive. That can be checked and cleaned up by pulling the back cover.

Bernie

Guest AndiM

Thanks guys!! I tested out your suggestion by driving around for 20 minutes, then shutting it off to return a movie rental. I got back in, put my foot on the gas, turned the key and it started right up like a champ! I am so grateful for this forum. My father passed away in October, so I don't have him around to ask all these silly questions of. I have learned so much here and from the guys I took it to when I first brought it down to Georgia. Bernie...I have no idea what you're talking about. Brushes, Commutator? Sounds simple, but could you dumb it down even further?

Andi