GPS on a 6 volt car

Not too sure how well just plugging a GPS into a positive ground system will work.

My first cut was to use a regulator to produce 5v from the car's 6v to 8v electrical system and then assume the plastic case of my smartphone/gps would not care if I simply reversed the wires. Worked for a long while but with the phone/GPS unplugged I had the metal ground shield on the cable come in contact with some metal in the car which fried the voltage regulator.

Until I came up with another permanent solution, I used a "PowerTrip" device which is basically an external battery for your GPS/cellphone and comes in a bag which I hung from my conveniently located but seldom used freewheeling control knob. That external battery has enough juice to run the cellphone/GPS for about two days if need be.

My second cut at a permanent solution is to install an off the shelf +6v to -12v inverter/converter under the dash and then add a lighter plug with a 12v to USB plug adaptor. So far that is working fine. No worries about mismatched grounds, etc. The inverter/converter is good for about 25 watts which is far more than my phone/GPS needs. I could plug a small MP3 player with speakers with the excess power if I wanted tunes while driving too.

Funny thing, last weekend at a B&B another guest looked at my car and almost the first thing he remarked on was the USB outlet. Not the car itself. On the other hand I live in Silicon Valley and the B&B wasn't too far away so that might have something to do with it.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

GPS in a 6 volt antique ride ? What are you crazy ! ??

That's almost sacrilegious :rolleyes:;)

I'm with Rick...

Actually I've been lost once and my wife (HHHMM) helped me find my way but that's a whole other topic...

I have to say the idea of a GPS in the '26 never crossed my mind. I don't even have one in my modern but that's my choice. I suppose there is one advantage with living in a small country with plenty of road signs; you really have to try to get lost! :cool: