1955 Windsor Deluxe-Question on 'Nassau' variant

Guest robotologist

Guest robotologist

I am nearing completion of a resto on a 1955 Windsor Deluxe 2dr HT 301 poly, it took some serious looking to find the small "DeLuxe" Emblems.....thought I was done hunting on this one.

I'm now taking a closer look at photos of complete cars and I see a 'Nassau' on the rear b-pillar/sail panel. I can't tell if mine had these and I don't want to take a sander to the area looking for the mounting holes because the paint in completed.

My Question: Would all 1955 2dr HT Windsor Deluxe models have been Nassau variants with the Nassau emblems, or was this a trim package that specified the additional naming?

Guest robotologist

Thanks Keiser-I guess I'm trying to evade another laborious search-I promised a complete car and have no idea what if anything is supposed to be back there.

I have found some with the Nassau script/emblem some with a chrome panel and what appear to be three gold stars on them (photo) The one I'm working on is the absolute base model (we joke about it being a 1955 K-car) no radio, only a blanking plate where one could be just your standard issuepost-99797-143142622073_thumb.jpg

I do not have a code decipher information for the firewall data plate, but I believe if you post a photo of it, someone here will know what model you are working on. It will give numbers for the trim.

Guest robotologist

This is the one we are working on VIN# W5556441-Great looking car not many around-the poly motor gets a bad rap.

post-99797-143142622093_thumb.jpg

Any assistance is appreciated-Thanks

Steve-Detroit MI

post-99797-143142622078_thumb.jpg

Can you get under the hood and post a photo of the trim data plate on the firewall? That has the information in the form of numbers that will tell the trim package. The car in question looks to be the "low-line" version which would be the Nassau. The "high-line" version would be the Newport.

post-37352-143142622112_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest robotologist

I'm starting to think I need to begin the search for a couple of 'Nassau' scripts. It looks like you are at the base model with the Nassau. I'm sure is the one we have is the base model. I'll post a photo tomorrow of the trim data plate-your information has been very helpful thank you.

SL

You are right about the poly getting a bad rap. They are basically the Hemi block with different heads. This means they are one of the best built, strongest engines of their times.

In actual tests, their performance was very close to the big brother hemi right up to 70 - 80 MPH. At high speeds the breathing advantage of the hemi was hard to beat. But for regular driving the poly had all the performance you could want.

So they were strong, durable, powerful, and also economical on gas for a car of their size and power, and ran fine on regular gas. The only place they took a back seat was in out and out high speed performance. Top speed about 110 vs 120 for the hemi.

Guest robotologist
By the way....beautiful car! You could try to put some sort of magnetic powder on the "C" pillars to see if there are holes for a nameplate. Sounds silly, but may work.

Keiser-The bad news is that the trim data tag is nowhere to be found on the car-I assume that it was removed during a previous restoration-another research project. However, your idea for some magnetic dust worked great. I used a large magnetic base from my dial indicator to gather/magnetize some powder from around the bench grinder. Applied the magnet to the car (covered in a rag so I didn't gouge the paint) removed magnet after 30 sec and sure enough once I applied the metal powder to the car there are three very distinct 1/8" holes under the filler where the Nassau logo once stood.

Off on search mode-you should patent the hole finding technique :)

Thanks

SL

• 4 weeks later...
Guest robotologist
Well, I'll be dipped! My idea worked??? Who'da thunkit??

Keiser-Found the Nassau Scripts, (Thanks to Moore's Auto on this one) the holes detected by the magnetic trick line up with the three pins on the scripts. I have to replace the headliner so I'll re-drill the holes and install once the old liner comes out.

Finding these old pieces/parts is quite a challenge-I have managed to locate a few yards that have been a great help with classic parts for Mopars. Many of the "Mopar exclusive" yards appear to cater to the 60's-70's muscle era while these old school out of the way places have the really rare stuff for the not so popular cars of the pre-muscle era.

L&L Classic-Wendell ID

Moore's Auto Slavage-Rapid City SD

Turner's Auto-Fresno CA

Desert Valley-Phoenix AZ