Mitchell Car Museum closing, auctioning off cars

mrpushbutton

Any info on that Chrysler "concept car"? Doubt that it's Chrysler's concept with a composite body... maybe somebody's replica or idea of what a concept car of the time could have been? With a different grille it would be a cool little sports car.

Any info on that Chrysler "concept car"? Doubt that it's Chrysler's concept with a composite body... maybe somebody's replica or idea of what a concept car of the time could have been? With a different grille it would be a cool little sports car.

Right out of the Chrysler Corporation styling studios.

This is one of those really neat small museums. It has been around for many years. Over the years, they have sold cars from the museum privately and have talked about closing doors for awhile. I guess the time has finally come. If I am not mistaken, the Mitchell family and business was a supplier of wood station wagon bodies or components to Ford and possibly other companies back in the 1930s and 1940s. Although they have Mitchell automobiles, I don't think there is any relationship to the Mitchell automobile company. Maybe someone else remembers the story better than I do and can chime in.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
:mad:

I live in the area and I do collect museum quality cars but I will not be scammed. I intended to go to the sale but I will not pay a hundred dollar entrance fee. Maybe someone should advise them that they are not Barrett Jackson. Wayne

I am going to be in the area and had a customer who wanted me to bid on two cars. I will NOT attend or bid on any car with a 100 preview charge. I'll just spend more time making offers on cars that peoople want to sell. Good luck on the sale. :mad:

$100 just to view the cars does seem steep. However, most of the larger auction companies such as RM, etc require at least a 200.00 bidder registration fee and you can not get into the room during the auction unless you are a registered bidder.All the Monterey auctions are now charging as much as 50.00 or more per person if you are not a registered bidder just to view the cars. If there was something in this auction I wanted, and I was in a position to be a competitive bidder on that item, I would not let the $100 stand in my way. It looks like there are some unusual cars that are in fine condition.

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)

I think $100 just for the privilege of LOOKING at a car for auction

is absurd. Does K-Mart charge admission at the door?

Does Tiffany's, for that matter?

In any auction, there should be far more people looking than

bidding successfully, so getting the money back if you win

is small recompense.

There's a good annual antique-car auction in Lock Haven, Pa.

(the Central Pennsylvania Auto Auction, held every July)

that charges buyers and sellers low commissions;

has no fee to register to bid; and charges only $10 admission

for the auction. (And they give away some complimentary tickets too.)

I'd never pay $100 either!

As many of you undoubtedly know, a car from a

long-term museum collection is not a great find.

Undriven and unused for many years, each beautiful

car will undoubtedly have problems--perhaps

thousands of dollars' worth--that need to be sorted out.

Some interesting cars! But bidding well under the

indicated price-guide price may be warranted.

No wise man would want to get caught up in auction fever,

overpay, and then have lots of work to do afterward!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I was once told that if you buy a museum car you could expect to replace everything black as starters ( tires, hoses, belts, etc ) . Then you may well experience immediate costs related to non use meaning seals, gaskets etc had dried out. So I agree, don't go overboard on the bidding as you may be required to make a substantial further investment when you get it home.

Wayne

Sheridan might be the local farm auction outfit but they're bringing in Aumann Auctioneers from Illinois. That's the company that sold the Herb Wessell collection of mostly Case cars and tractors in Md. I also wouldn't register and lose $100 if I don't buy anything. Do you have to pay that if you bid online? I can't believe they'll get too many registrants.If I were the consignor I'd put a stop to that.

There is a heck of a big difference between registering to bid and paying for the preview. The fee to bid simply weeds out the nut cases who might well bid things up and disappear. (In other venues it is frequently waived when the auctioneer knows the bidder.) Its a way of ensuring that your bidders are creditable. Paying to just look at the stuff is ridiculous. I've participated in many high-end auctions... often dealing with artefacts from the middle ages to the 18th century at some of the most prestigious houses in the world and I've never had to pay to attend the viewing... Someone has his brain screwed on backwards.

Here's the catalog >>> http://sheridan.marknetlive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/4823/

Note the 10% buyer's premium.

This is a scheme where the SELLER typically pays only for advertising rather than the auction house commissions.

Don't blame the auctioneer.......blame the seller.

I can't believe Kurt Aumann is putting up with the $100 "inspection" fee.

There's no fee when you go to bid on a HOUSE....... :eek:

Maybe an auction company testing the waters for another cheap and easy way to bilk bidders out of their money. Nobody even blinked when Barrett-Jackson introduced a "buyer's premium" a few years ago and the whole industry immediately adopted it, virtually doubling their profits overnight. Maybe the public won't complain about a "looker's premium" now, either.

I was once told that if you buy a museum car you could expect to replace everything black as starters ( tires, hoses, belts, etc ) . Then you may well experience immediate costs related to non use meaning seals, gaskets etc had dried out. So I agree, don't go overboard on the bidding as you may be required to make a substantial further investment when you get it home.

Wayne

Wayne- You are absolutely right. Museums = Mausoleums.

Can I add internal corrosion to the list of problem areas on museum cars. I bought one that had been displayed for 20-30 years and the insides of the cylinders were so corroded that a .060" rebore would not remove the pitting so the block had to be sleeved. The corrosion was entirely above the top piston ring in each cylinder where there was no residual oil to protect the surface. Minute amounts of atmospheric moisture condenses at night when its cool and humid, this moisture does not fully evaporate resulting in a moist surface which over time causes corrosion. Cars that have been driven at least occasionally survive better.

Here's a news story on the auction. It was car interiors for the Big 3 that the Mitchell Company made, not station wagon components.

http://www.abc12.com/story/25890735/mitchell-car-museum-in-owosso-to-sell-collection-at-auction

One thing I've learned is that you can rarely trust TV news and print reporters to get the story right.

From Coachbuilt.com, Mitchell-Bentley Corp...."In 1953, Ionia Mfg Co. became a wholly-owned subsidiary of a new firm, the Mitchell-Bentley Corp. The Mitchell in Mitchell-Bentley was Ionia’s founder Don R. Mitchell, the Bentley was Calvin P. Bentley, the owner of the Owosso Mfg Co".

From Coachbuilt.com, Ionia Mfg. Co....."1954’s most important contract was the construction of bodies for Buick’s new all-steel Estate Wagon. Ionia had been building Buick’s wagons since 1949 and were rewarded for their hard work when the Buick contract was renewed. From 1954 through 1964, Ionia manufactured all 139,344 station wagon bodies sold by GM’s Buick division. Ionia supplied Oldsmobile with station wagon bodies beginning in 1957, producing 143,696 station wagon bodies through 1964".

Mitchell-Bentley and Ionia made many things through their various corporate iterations, but are perhaps best known for their wagon bodies. They also built the '46-'48 Nash Surburban bodies, Continental Mark II, the Dodge Granada, some Ford & Mercury wagon bodies, trimmed the Packard Panther, Balboa-X, etc.

In this sale, I personally like Don R. Mitchell's custom-trimmed '63 Buick Invicta Wagon, with its plush carpeting, unique leather seats and door panels...

1783802_0.jpg

1766540_0.jpg

I wouldn't kick any of the cars or wagons out of my dream garage either, but that '63 Invicta would be a really fun one to have.

TG

The condition of museum cars depends completely on the collection from which they came, and the curator/ staff. If the cars are started and driven occasionally there should be no problem, other than tires and maybe belts. If they're static and only periodically dusted off, there's a problem. The only museums/ collections I've been involved with are of the former variety, not the latter.

TG

Wayne

I would take on any of these cars. It is not hard to replace a hoses, belts and tires.. I made gaskets out of cork.. It just takes time not money.. It is not like buying a Darrin carb that is not available..

I love the station wagons.. It was my first car.. from the web..

I was 16 . I replaced the rear end, water pump, and the rebuilt the carb.. I got 3 mile to the gallon with the 440 and 4 bbl..

post-97742-143142625037_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

To clear things up about the $100 fee........I have it on good authority (impeccable actually) the FEE thing was put out there by the OWNERS who refused to back down despite the efforts of the auction companies.

I have friends in the auction business.

Regardless how anyone feels about auctions I don't want anyone getting a bad rap.

There are high end auctions that limit all access to those that have paid. Usually the preview is open but not always. Depends on the location and space. Remember, the auction company only cares about selling the cars. If the people you let in for free are in the way (however you want to define that) of selling the cars then why do it?

Many people pay at least $50 to attend car shows. I think that the $100 is a fair price to attend a private "show" and I’m sure a little tire kicking will be allowed.

With the close inspections that the cars will receive, there must be attendants there to make sure pieces don't disappear and the cars will have to be re-cleaned and polished before the auction.

A prospective buyer would not be able to get near a car if everybody was allowed to inspect them at no cost.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is not a car show for the benefit of the general public. It is a sale with intentions of receiving the greatest income for the owners, not for the entertainment of gawkers.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

What TG said. We maintain and drive all but a few of our museum's cars. One lacks an engine, two are in original condition and too fragile to drive, and our 1898 Hay Motor Car tried to eat itself alive the one time we attempted to get its unusual engine running. Once we finally have all the parts we need to get our 1907 White steamer running, that will get exercised too.

Look, if the previews at all the Pebble Beach auctions are free, then there's just no excuse for charging $100 to have a look around a dusty old Detroit museum (it's not a bad museum, but still...).

I hear this a lot about the extra fees and premiums that auction houses charge, that it's somehow OK because of how much work it is to put on an auction.

What if I charged $100 just to look around my showroom, and when you finally decided to buy that car with a $50,000 sticker price on the windshield, I told you, "Yes, it's $50,000 but it will cost you $55,000 to own it because there's a buyer's premium." You guys would run me out of town with a boot 3/4 of the way up my backside. I can't pass any of my overhead costs along to the buyer, are you nuts? I have looky-loos come in almost every day, but I happily treat them like friends rather than annoyances that are only worth my time if they give me a hundred bucks.

Yet auctions do it and everyone seems to think it's perfectly OK. What's up with that?

It was mentioned that the owners demanded the $100 fee. My guess is they're trying to weed out the "lookers", though what they're really doing is alienating some people over the seemingly unnecessary charge.

My view is that if you're planning to go trying to score a bargain, with no particular car in mind, then you may not go because of the $100 and the principle of the thing.

If you're seriously interested in acquiring a car, and have the wherewithal to do so, then $100 won't change your mind about going.

A bit off topic, but I just learned that New England boat/memorabilia auctions are all charging 15% buyers premium. The reason given is that sales are horrible and the organizers are trying to cover their costs. Nice wooden boats worth $15,000 to $20,000 five years ago not getting a single bid.

I guess it's all about the money

A yearly car show in N.E. was held on a Monday each year and was only attended by car guys that were willing to take the day off to view cars and talk with old friends.

One year they had to change the day to Sunday and they were attended by all kinds of people and they made lots of money.

They decided to move to a larger area and accept more cars and people, but this wasen't enough.

They then raised the show price to $40. Thats when I (and I guess a lot of people said thats enough I'm not going.

They have learned their lesson, they lowered the price this year but a little too late for me and a lot of others maybe. (The taste is still in my mouth.)

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

The website (see link in original posting) says to call

Troy Crowe (phone 989-666-6339) for more information.

Evidently that's the museum. How about a few car hobbyists

calling and objecting to the preview fee?

The force of public opinion (and justice) needs to put a

stop to this new expense. Perhaps more effective would be

to contact the auctioneer at (517) 676-9800.

I myself wrote a polite but compelling note on the

"contact us" section of that auctioneer's website.

If I get a response, I'll report it here.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
It was mentioned that the owners demanded the $100 fee. My guess is they're trying to weed out the "lookers", though what they're really doing is alienating some people over the seemingly unnecessary charge.

My view is that if you're planning to go trying to score a bargain, with no particular car in mind, then you may not go because of the $100 and the principle of the thing.

If you're seriously interested in acquiring a car, and have the wherewithal to do so, then $100 won't change your mind about going.

I totally disagree ! I am only interested in one car and I won't pay $100 to see it and I am only one hour away. Don't even try to compare this auction to Barrett Jackson where in excess of 1000 cars hit the block.

This auction company is demonstrating a lack of experience in the current market and have a lot to learn. I for one am not impressed and once again will not be attending and I am only 55 miles away. We have to stand up for what we believe in and I intend to do just that ! Case closed for me.

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I stand by my statement. Yes, it's ludicrous to ask a hundred bucks to see the cars, but at the same time a hundred bucks, in the grand scheme of things, is not much money.

I'd not let a hundred bucks stand in the way of years of "pride of ownership"....

I'm not so sure of that... I do almost all my buying for my collection (of a different sort) with major auction houses both here and in Europe. I get about a dozen major auction catalogs per year. These are usually quite expensive but if you are known to the company they are often free and in all cases available free on the internet. None of them charge for the viewing and if they did, I'd decline to attend. I agree that this is hardly logical in the grand scheme of things but there is principal involved. I also won't haggle much and never renege on an offer when I make one... so it seems to me that this policy is just egregiously offensive to the very people they should want to attend their auction.

I was told the museum is very small and the cars are packed in quite tightly.......I don't KNOW but that is what I was told.

The sellers figure, with the space constraint, the museum couldn't handle an enormous throng of tire kickers and they're probably right.

I can envision doors being opened, denting the cars next to them, and other sorts of damage.

If folks were so interested the museum they should have visited it before now anyway.

Having been there more than a few times, I can tell you it is a small museum and the cars are pretty close together. Most of the cars are extremely nice and cosmetically well-maintained older restorations. All very presentable and clean on the outside. Very few, if any, of the cars have been operated in recent years. The older cars probably haven't been operated in several years. I will say there is no junk here nor is this a bunch of derelict cars that have been rotting away in someone's pole barn for the last three decades. Of course, the big disadvantage of buying a car at this, or any other auction, is not being able to take a car for a test drive. That is certainly one advantage of buying a car from a dealer or private individual.

I assume the 100.00 viewing fee includes bidder registration as well as being able to be in the room at the time of auction. If that is the case, that is not terrible as most other auctions produced by the larger companies charge upwards to 200.00 or more to become a registered bidder. While inspection at other auctions maybe free-although a lot of auctions are now charging-many do not allow non-registered bidders into the auction room during the auction.

I do have to give this auction company credit on their online catalog which contains lots of really good and important detailed photos of all the cars. The "big" auction houses don't even do this good of a job with their online photos. Since they are really pushing the online bidding, I would assume most of the bidders will be bidding online, and in many cases purchasing cars sight unseen, which seems to becoming a common practice at a lot of auctions. I certainly agree with trimacar that anyone who has an eye on a vehicle and has the potential to be a purchaser will pay the 100.00 viewing fee or will be hiring someone to view the car(s) for them. It will certainly be a short auction as there are only about 100 lots listed, which, depending on the auctioneer's speed, should only take a couple of hours. It will be nice to see these cars get back on the road and enjoyed.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)