HOT or NOT ?

Mr Riviera

Fifty years later the key might be going back to the original LaSalle II concept and borrowing something from Cadillac. I remember being somewhat disappointed when the last generation Riviera was introduced. I had expected to see the, then, new Eldorado body with a waterfall grille.

post-46237-143142623221_thumb.jpeg This car has a much more integrated look that the Chinese concept and could get a Buick keyed 2014 make over that would be stunning. The recent concepts lack the sail panels that are an unbeatable feature of the original and help bring this Eldo together. I would probably own one if it didn't have the Northstar engine (system? as they called it). I have looked at some 1992's with a 4.9.

To be completely chauvinist about it, the concept car reminds me of Zooey Deschanel. When I see a Buick I want to remember Lynda Carter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LWcmlIbNhs

Bernie

Another Thread - http://forums.aaca.org/f177/new-riviera-concept-349581.html

I think its a sharp looking car but am not sold on it bearing the Riviera name at least not in the US market anyway. I'd rather see a retro remake of a 63,4, or 5 similar to the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger all of which were excellently orchestrated projects and I see alot of each one on the road. That might be too much of a niche market to sell enough to make it profitable.

Guest my3buicks

The Velite was beautiful, saw it a few times in person. I like the Riv concept, they have to think what would the Riv compete against and what the market target would be, just like when the original Riv was introduced. I think the concept would go over big in the current market. Let's face it, 98% of the market has no interest in a Riv looking like a 65, they want sleek, modern design that goes head to head with it's contemporaries and pushes the design envelope. Kind of like the original Rivs. As far as the 65 being the start of the end, that's just ridiculous, many design bad groundbreaking Rivs would follow, groundbreaking in their day is what kept it a success so long.

Guest clamshells
The Velite was beautiful, saw it a few times in person. I like the Riv concept, they have to think what would the Riv compete against and what the market target would be, just like when the original Riv was introduced. I think the concept would go over big in the current market. Let's face it, 98% of the market has no interest in a Riv looking like a 65, they want sleek, modern design that goes head to head with it's contemporaries and pushes the design envelope. Kind of like the original Rivs. As far as the 65 being the start of the end, that's just ridiculous[b/], many design bad groundbreaking Rivs would follow, groundbreaking in their day is what kept it a success so long.

I've had to hold my own in debates over the 1st Gen being "the only real Riv" and even an occasional "they wrecked a good thing in 65 except for the clamshells". I stay in the battle up to 67.

Buick has to keep up in the market, they sure as heel aren't selling any cars in this area and won't any time soon.

Guest my3buicks

Maybe in your area but overall US Buick sales figure show an extremely healthy growth rate, some of the best sales growth in the industry.

800,000 of their 1,000,000 cars sold were in China, or thereabouts. Not real impressive if you ask me. Compare that with Ford selling 763,000 trucks in 2013. The automotive industry is not what it used to be. People like us are definitely a niche any more.

Not fair to compare Buicks to Ford trucks. No farmer, suburban farmer wanna-be, landscaper, contractor, etc. is going to do business in a Buick. It's not fair to compare anything to the Ford truck line.

From where did you derive your figures for numbers of vehicles produced and sold in each locale? Pretty general numbers you're posting there.

Guest clamshells
Maybe in your area but overall US Buick sales figure show an extremely healthy growth rate, some of the best sales growth in the industry.

Certainly not here in the land of Subaru and Prius.

I live in Oklahoma, where a Ford f150 isn't exactly a farm truck. I have a f150 stx, and i sure as hell wouldn't want to haul a horse trailer with it for example. We see a lot of them in place of cars, and that probably goes for much of the middle of the country. Here are where i got the stats:http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/08/buick-best-sales-year-ever/ http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/03/259395010/ford-tops-resurgent-u-s-car-industry-2013-sales-results-show

As with all stats i'm sure they can be mainipulated, but it gives at least a broad picture to look at. I wasn't trying to cherry pick data, but if someone has something else i'd love to see it. As you pointed out, truck sales include some farm trucks, but i think if you are talking about f150s, you sure aren't talking about farm trucks...which make up the bulk of their truck sales. Ford's other top seller was the fusion, which i sure am not a fan of.

If i had to pick a current car i liked it would probably be a challenger. I think it keeps a few of the looks of the old one better than the rest. I have always had a use for trucks and probably always will. Need a new appliance...go get it. Need to take the mower up to the shop - done. I guess i could probably do the same thing with an El Camino or Ranchero, but have never had one. Point was, it is a different generation buying the new cars and they are using them differently. Buick passenger car sales in the U.S. are not real good.

My '05 Silverado (kind of a contractor, of sorts) is getting close to replacement. I use a Reese hitch canoe rack for a ladder rack, 8' box with a front hinged cover. It has a longitudinal V8, the rear wheels push it, it has a separate body and frame, leaf springs rear, unequal length A arms up front. It was chosen because of the similar design features to the 1967 Electra I once had, the '64 Riviera, the '48 Packard I just bought, and a whole bunch of other durable stuff built over the last century. With the hard cover on the box it is my business coupe. If I got a new one it would have coil over in front and not ride quite as good. Maybe a Cop version Tahoe will replace it.

I only have one unibody car with a cross mounted V6; not really my style.

So being real fussy about details, I have been looking very close at an interesting jumble of parts. It has a Volvo body and a Toyota engine with a blue oval hidden in the paperwork. Anyone looked at the Lincoln MKS? If it will carry a kayak it will carry a ladder.

Bernie

Guest Kingoftheroad
I guess it'll make a PRC Chinese owner happy then.

To me it's not a Riviera.

This is a Riviera.

130609945.jpg?itok=78edh_O1

X2

That car would go great with my glass platform shoes and pimping outfit. Without it i'm going to have to pass. I think the guys round my neighborhood would also have to put a wrap on it to pay homage to one of their favorite childhood cereals like sugar smacks or some such.

Buick does not have the BALLS to make another hot looking Riviera like the 79-85 that sold the most of any generation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259841[/ATTACH]

I've owned my share of these cars. The only thing I can say about them is that they're terribly underpowered. Hopefully if something like that were to come out again, it would be a hair smaller and have at least the same horsepower that my Ford Edge V6 has (265 hp vs. 145 hp for the 5.0 liter V8 Oldsmobile - with 20 miles of vacuum hoses and no fuel injection in the Riviera) and a six speed automatic transmission. It could be outstanding if it were rear wheel drive. Plus the Edge gets better gas mileage.

Ed

PS - I was only slightly embarrassed driving home through the mountains of West Virginia on my way home from Harrisburg in 2010. I think there was at least one 18 wheeler that didn't pass me going up hill.

Buick does not have the BALLS to make another hot looking Riviera like the 79-85 that sold the most of any generation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259841[/ATTACH]

Their balls were pretty small though. They came with V6's and diesels in addition to a really anemic V8. It was the last generation to offer a V8.