American in Chile

Vintman

Hi Folks, Had this photo from a Chile university who are trying to date the architecture. They hoped the car would help. We are not very good at the more current US cars, especially from the back, so would appreciate help on Make Model and Year please. Seems to say Plymouth on the back?

Many Thanks

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143142621739_thumb.jpg

1967 Plymouth GTX or Satellite and a 1971 Dodge Dart.

If American, the Plymouth is almost certainly a Satellite and not a GTX. The roofline is just too high to be a hardtop, as all American GTXs were (except convertibles).

However many cars in South America were amalgams of American models of previous years, often built in very small numbers. (For instance the GTX in South America was made in Argentina, as a Dodge based on 2-3 year old Dart components.) These cars in the photo could be from Argentina, Brazil, or some other country that assembled them in such a manner. I'd recommend showing the cars to a South American car expert to insure that they are indeed U.S.A. models

If American, the Plymouth is almost certainly a Satellite and not a GTX. The roofline is just too high to be a hardtop, as all American GTXs were (except convertibles).

However many cars in South America were amalgams of American models of previous years, often built in very small numbers. (For instance the GTX in South America was made in Argentina, as a Dodge based on 2-3 year old Dart components.) These cars in the photo could be from Argentina, Brazil, or some other country that assembled them in such a manner. I'd recommend showing the cars to a South American car expert to insure that they are indeed U.S.A. models

I believe he was simply asking what range of years so he could date the architecture. Safe to say the photo was taken in or around 1971 but thanks for the history lesson maestro ;) (off topic once again ey spaceman ?).

As for the roofline on the GTX as opposed to the Satellite (and I am no expert but I am off topic since we are going there) the rooflines and height of glass appear to be exact and I would think the two vehicles are highly interchangeable in that aspect. Maybe someone who has an in-depth knowledge of body work and experience with these two models can elaborate on this ? My understanding is that the option package was what separated the two models IE emblems, hood scoop, drivetrain etc.. You may be right, the body may be different but I sure don't see it.

Personally my eyes are horrible anymore and I can't make out the emblem on the trunk but if the trunk emblem says "Satellite" then it's a Satellite package. If it says "GTX" then it's a GTX package both having the same rooflines.