What's your favorite "Buick" thing?

Guest jshtulman1

Guest jshtulman1

I realize that I may get some flak for this, but I'm starting to develop an affinity for Dynaflow. Perhaps this will fade as CVTs become commonplace (To the ire of enthusiasts). For now, though, I can marvel at the fact that my 63 year old Buick is a smoother driving vehicle than my parent's new Volkswagen. Also, has anyone read the Dynaflow user manual? I think it's hilarious. My other favorite thing is rather small, the bakelite knob which controls the orientation of the antenna. It's unbelievably amusing. When I first got the car I would play around with it while at the gas station waiting for the car to fill up. So what's your guys favorite "Buick" feature? Thanks for reading!

(Forgot to update in a while, the restoration is going great. We just put in new trunk/floor pans plus repaired the original heater core. Trying to keep it as stock as possible. Replaced all condensers in the original radio along with the shot speaker cone. Engine is already undergoing the rebuilding process.)

I can't think of one thing, but, I love the dashboards in the 54/55 for their art deco contour and heater controls. And I also love the instruments in the 56 for their use of color. I'll stop there , for now.

Unequivocally (wow can't believe I spelled that without spell check) and without a doubt!!!!!

SWEEPSPEARS MAN, SWEEPSPEARS. And in a close second, PORTHOLES MAN, PORTHOLES

They are affectionately, technically and correctly per the parts book considered to be the Sweepspear. The first sweepspear was introduced in '49 on the Roadmaster Riviera.

2741643881bf1fd09a50.jpg

The first of what I consider the most iconic sweepspear was introduced on the 1953 Buick Skylark.

1953buickskylarkmatador.jpg

Of course there is no doubt in my mind that the greatest display ever of the Buick Sweepspear appears on none other than the 1954 Buick Roadmaster as beautifully displayed here on an Arctic White Roadmaster and complimented with the beautiful Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheels

img1555gr.jpg

In Georgia there is growing cult of '54 Buick owners referred to as Sweepspearsmen of the World of which I am the founding member. Part of the initiation ceremony requires a new member to acquire a Sweepspear Tattoo. Please let me know if you would like to join.

Here is yours truly MrEarl and the joy of his life Rita displaying theirs

dsc0037it.jpg

and a picture of our thumbing it on the '54 Buick Highway at our latest gathering

dsc0035tq.jpg

please note that the Sweepspear is still a part of Buicks design even today and while not as strongly emphasized, does still carry itself well on the new Buick Lacrosse.

03_perspective_img_3.jpg

Here is a thread our old friend Jake started a few years back http://forums.aaca.org/f115/show-us-your-sweepspears-248130.html

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465

My favorite Buick thing is all the cool friends I have acquired since I joined the clubs.

post-42002-143142622516_thumb.jpg

Well, I have many more pictures of Buick friends, I am having a hell of a time attaching them to this post. You guys know who you are, and thank you.

post-42002-143142622514_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna have to go along with Dave on the open valvetrain action. It is absolutely hypnotic to watch these engines set there and click 'em off. I would also have to say that the greatest and BEST thing about a Buick is the fact that they are not some ol' worn out Chevrolet. What I am about to say next I have personally experienced many times over. I have driven our Buicks many times in the classy old residential part of our town and folks out in their yards will stop what they are doing and point at the car. I heard one woman yell to her husband, "John, go get the kids, there is a man driving by in a BUICK!!" Mouths drop open, people will point and wave, and I have heard them say, "He Drives A Buick". It's hard when you're at the top, but, somebody has to be there, and I'm glad it's me with my Buicks!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas America

LOL. Terry, I can relate. It is about the same when I am driving the Chartreuse Lady. A better part of town and they know it is not just another,.."Ol T Model Ford." Maybe it is time I pinstripe some Sweepspears on her. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

To go along with the sweepspear concept from the 1950's, I love the two-tone and tri-color paint schemes from the mid 1950's. Man, those are some beautiful Buicks! Of course, you can't beat the red-white combination. But the sweepspear is the dividing line for the colors, and that's what makes it so unique.

I also love the sleek, modern design of the 1st generation Rivieras, especially 1965 with the vertical hidden clam shell headlights. There is no other car like it.

The growl of a straight 8 Buick is second to none! It's very distinctive. I used to ride around in my cousin's 56-41 and every time he saw a straight 8 Buick nearby he told me to lean my head out the window and listen for the growl.

I've loved it ever since.

Too many things to pick just one. I might come closest to agreeing with Paul about the Buick friends.

I like the carb / accelerator start, the styling cues, the smooth power, the nice ride, and the ability to have something distinctive.

The Wildcat was my first Buick and the neat thing for me was that it was unique. Perhaps after the National I will have to swap the '54 and it to do some driving with it this year.

Guest BigDogDaddy

I too have a lot of things that I love about Buicks. Back in 1990 my Dad bought a brand new 1990 Buick Century, and I used to tease him that my 1940 Buick rode a lot nicer than his 1990 Buick. Okay, his Century was half the size of my Limited. But he had 50 years worth of technology on me, and my car was still better. Oh yeah, it has outlived his Century too.