Update and a wheel question

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

Long time no see. First and foremost, I have a wheel related question. I am absolutely in love with a rim Konig makes. It's called "Forward" and comes in black with a red stripe. I'm going to order a set from carid in a few weeks with tires, and I wanna know if their wheel size finder has me set up right. I'm looking at the 16x7, +40 offset, 5x114.3 bolt pattern, with a 73.1mm hub. The tires I'm looking at are Accelera Alpha 215/60r16v. If there are any major installation problems with this setup, I really need to know. I calculated the height of the stockers with rim at 660.5mm and the aftermarkets at 664.4mm.

Aaaaand on to the update. Motor is all patched up with freshly painted rad support cover, vacuum hard lines, and brackets. I flushed the coolant, replaced the gooseneck, replaced the vacuum lines(major improvement), and had the exhaust redone headers back with the Camaro style 2 outlet. I painted the hood flat black and added red pinstripes. I eliminated the air box and added a cone filter. I think it looks cleaner. I installed a JVC kameleon deck where the delco unit was and bought a harness connector so the tape deck still shows time and dash lights. I replaced all the speakers, and went with open grills because the fabric was torn and stained. I clearcoated my taillights and also fixed.my headlight lift arms. I currently have my seats out and I'm working on mixing up some carpet dye. I'm also verifying that the damage to the lock circuit didn't hurt anything else in that harness, for the second time. I eliminated the lock/dome light function for now anyway. I also discovered that contact cleaner makes my seats work fully. I've got all new fluids and filters, and I'm putting the insurance back on in a week or two. I'm excited to be back, it's been since 2012 that it has been in my yard.

Most important is the bolt pattern IS NOT 114.3 but 115mm. In 1991 the Reatta came with 16" wheels & tires and the factory size was 215 x 60 r 16. For us older owners that did not learn metric in the first grade, the factory 15" as you stated is 660.5 mm (26 inches) and the factory 16" was (26.2) or 665.4 (ps these are the sizes calculated, the actual size between brands varies some)

You can also go up in size some without noticeably affecting the speedometer or having interference. Example, a 225/60r16 = 26.6, a 225/55r16 = 25.7 and 235/55r16 = 26.2

Guest PontiacDude210

Do you suppose their site says a 114.3 will fit because .7mm is somewhat of a tiny dimension?

UPDATE: I did a little quick research. Konig makes the rim in the exact same specs with the 5x115 for the same price. I have contacted carid.com to raise some hell with them about their wheel finder steering me wrong. Thank you for setting me right on that one.

Edited by PontiacDude210
Dragon attack (see edit history)

F*rd mustangs us a 114.7 as do a lot of others (is 4.5"). These will usually fit a 5x115. The important thing is the hub center (70.3mm) because the wheels center on the hub, not the bolts. With 114.3 and a larger hub (many aftermarket wheels use 80mm to fit anything) you chance having a wheel vibration usually between 50 and 70 mph even with properly balanced tires.

The one that I have to be careful of is RWD GM: 5x4 3/4 (GM A and F body)is 120.7mm. 5x5 (GM B body big cars) is 127mm.

I overlooked the offset of the Konig ..... you said they are +40 (1.57 in). Checking my records the factory Reatta wheels, the 15" wheels have a 50.8 (2 in) and the 16" have a 44.5 (1.75 in) which is not as bad as I first thought.

I have 2000-2004 Mustang GT wheels on my car. Bolt circle is 114.3mm. The hub center hole is 70.3, same as the Reatta. Tires are 225/55-16. I will go to 60 series when I buy new tires. They fit without problems but you must take care to tighten the lug nuts evenly because clearance between the lug bolt and the wheel is tight. If I remember correctly the offset is 24mm. Quite a bit less than the Reatta wheels.

One thing you should watch out for when selecting a wheel is it needs to have a hub section that is deep enough for the front wheel drive axles. I previously bought a set of late model Mustang wheels that bolted up but I couldn't install the center cap in the wheel because the threaded part of the Reatta axle stuck out too far and it hit the inside of the center cap.

post-52331-143142620333_thumb.jpg I like the wide stance the 24mm offset gives the Reatta.

post-52331-143142620342_thumb.jpg 2000 Mustang GT wheels.

post-52331-143142620347_thumb.jpg Center cap in these 2007 Mustang wheels hit the Reatta Axle and would not go all the way in.

My stock GM 16x7 (Bonneville) wheel is 46 mm offset. I have seem later caddys with 51 mms My Enkies are 38 and cause a bit of a bulldog stance. The offset is a function of the wheel width so for a 6" wheel needs a 50 mm offset. The main reason for offset is not clearance but to center the tire tread on the extension of the king pin angle to the ground. Get far off this and you may experience bump steer.

Guest PontiacDude210

Hmm. I guess I am in a little ways over my head. I'm assuming if a 38mm offset will clear the axle on an aftermarket rim, a 40mm probably will as well? And with the hub size, is the bolt pattern still an issue?

Sorry, didn't mean to edit that - pp

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Hmm. I guess I am in a little ways over my head. I'm assuming if a 38mm offset will clear the axle on an aftermarket rim, a 40mm probably will as well? And with the hub size, is the bolt pattern still an issue?

As the offset increases, the tire moves in. There are two potential offset issues: with too little the front tire may hit the wheelwell at full lock. With too much the front tire may hit the strut platform. Both are aggrivated by larger tires.

For a 7" rim width, the correct offset is 46mm. This also minimises bump steer.

Guest PontiacDude210

So a 40mm offset in a 16x7 is going to be 6mm wider than it should be, if a 46mm offset is correct. I see another member running a much smaller offset, and you said you have a set of 38mm offset. What problems besides stance do you run into with a 38mm offset?

Guest PontiacDude210

I've been emailing a carid.com salesman also, it seems he can get me the wheel in 16x7, 40mm offset, 73.1mm hub and 5x115 pattern. Tires will be a 215/60R16. Which I believe will work after seeing input from all of you. Thanks for the help guys. I'll have pics of the new wheels when I get them in a few weeks.

Also, I can't currently post pics, but I will get my computer online one of these days and get some pics up. Mobile won't upload images.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another option on wheels. I think other people have used them. I found a set of chrome Cadillac STS wheels that I've installed on my car in place of the 2000-2004 Mustang wheels.

They are 16x7.5 inches with a 115mm bolt pattern. Tires on them are 235/60-16. I think they are the same as the chrome 7 spoke Buick wheels but I don't know for certain. I'm very pleased with them so far. Handling and ride is better than with the 225/55-16 tires.

Below are photos of them. They didn't come with the R in the center caps.

post-52331-143142634927_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142634921_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142634925_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)