65 riv, no listing for a KYB rear shock?

Guest Im4darush

Guest Im4darush

I have read plenty of posts where guys run KYB gas-adjust shocks on their cars but can't find a listing for the rear shocks. Is there a trick to this?

Guest clamshells

I used KYB's on a Nova in the early 90's they had a 1-2-3 adjustment. I was going use them on my 65 until I learned they no longer have the adjustment feature coupled with no listing for a rear shock. I hesitated on my Rivi but pulled the pricey trigger for Bilsteins on my Silverado. The improvement on my truck was huge prompting another splurge for Bilsteins on my 65 Riviera the ride is a little firm but better then the boat float. I installed Monroe Sensatracs on The Ghost they are horrible. By the end of this year all my 4 wheeled vehicles are going to run Bilsteins.

Make a introduction, join the ROA and keep asking questions or share your experience.

Welcome.

Go to the website and look for something in one of the old Riviews that explains what you have to do to fit the KYB's on an early Riviera. There were some special bushings used to fit a shock designed for something else that made it possible to fit the KYB's to the Riviera.

Ed

Guest clamshells
Go to the website and look for something in one of the old Riviews that explains what you have to do to fit the KYB's on an early Riviera. There were some special bushings used to fit a shock designed for something else that made it possible to fit the KYB's to the Riviera.

Ed

I remember changing out a bushing on a KYB shock but cannot remember which car it was, maybe my 66? IDK but I do remember using a drill, a hacksaw and a Energy Suspension two piece bushing. to make a KYB fit something. KYB; Kant You do Better.

Welcome to the ROA. Along with a plethora of information, you'll find we're just a bunch of good guys who are fun to be around. In your avatar you don't mention where you're from. Hopefully you're within driving distance to St. Charles, IL and we'll all get a chance to meet you at next year's ROA event. You'll get more information on that in the future Riviews that you'll be receiving.

Monroe Sens-a-trac makes an exact replacement for the shocks for the '63 - '65 Riviera. I bought a set of four from Rock Auto some time ago just to have a set on hand; they were inexpensive enough to do that. Unless you're going to do some slalom racing, I don't think you'll have need for anything like the KYB shocks. The Sens-a-tracs are one step above the OE replacements.

Now tell us a little more about yourself and your car. One reason for having a location in your avatar is so that if you're near someone, you might be able to get hands on help.

Ed

Guest Im4darush

Quick question on the sensa-tracs...

When I drove the riv home the first thing I noticed was that it floats like a cruise ship. Now, I realize this a riviera and not a camaro, but it was a bit much for me. When she was in the garage, I gave it the old up/down push at every corner and it would bounce on and on. This being an 87K mile car, I would not be surprised if the shocks are original and have seen better days. Do you find the sensa-tracs to be floaty as well?

No, they give a nice smooth ride but they're neither harsh nor spongy. I like them better than any other shock I've put on my Rivieras. Kind of like the Goldilocks and the three bears. The Monroes are "just right." (IMHO)

Ed

Guest Im4darush

I was browsing ebay and came upon a listing for a full set of KYB gas-adjust shocks to fit the first gen riviera. I contacted the seller and they claim these are a direct fit for a (in my case) 65 riv. I pushed a bit further as I know KYB does not list a rear KYB shock and the seller responded stating that they are ROA members, advertise in the riview and have sold many sets. I happen to be in marietta GA on business where the seller is and will be going there today at lunch to pick up a set. $199 is a bit steep for a KYB shock set as most are $30 or so, but if these folks figured out what shock is a direct fit, then it may be worth the extra few $$. My only other thought is that these may not be the correct length when fully extended (25" for a first gen I believe it is) but if close, it may not ever be an issue since I am not going for the 4X4 look.

In either case, the ebay listing is below. I will go see the seller today and try to get as much info as I can. If I buy them, I will have the part numbers of the rear shocks they are using. Since they advertise in riview I will have to find out if its ok for me to just post that info. If anyone knows anything about these, please post your thoughts. Again, I was told they have tons of satisfied riv owners running these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230419915826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_208wt_1124

Many years ago, there was an article in a early Riview that had part numbers for replacement shocks for the 1st generation Rivieras. It came down to the fact that someone had done some research and found that the front shocks for a certain year Dodge pickup truck and the rear shocks for some certain year Chevrolet pickup truck would fit. I'm betting that when you run the KYB part numbers back you'll find that they're actually designed for a different application but work for the Riviera. What you're looking for is the upper and lower mounts to be the same, and the compressed and extended lengths to be the same.

Ed

Many years ago, there was an article in a early Riview that had part numbers for replacement shocks for the 1st generation Rivieras. It came down to the fact that someone had done some research and found that the front shocks for a certain year Dodge pickup truck and the rear shocks for some certain year Chevrolet pickup truck would fit. I'm betting that when you run the KYB part numbers back you'll find that they're actually designed for a different application but work for the Riviera. What you're looking for is the upper and lower mounts to be the same, and the compressed and extended lengths to be the same.

Ed

Ed, any idea what year the article appeared?

The article only specified shocks from other vehicles that could be used on the early Rivieras. It made no mention of KYB shocks. Since then Monroe has come up with their Sens-a-trac part numbers 5759 and 5760.

Still nothing on the KYB's?

I found no listings for KYB. I'm always curious about interchangeability of parts, it's knowledge that can get you on the road when the "correct for your car" part isn't listed or available. Gabriel lists a Riv shock that also fits Studebakers!

If you're in good with a local auto parts store, ask if you can browse their catalogs. Find the two Monroe part numbers that I posted and get all of the dimensions for them. Then start browsing and see what else falls within those parameters. Extended length - compressed length - upper and lower mount types and dimensions, etc.

You'll probably find that similar shocks go with similar suspension set ups. Coil springs and A-arms up front, and coil springs with trailing arms and a track bar in back.

Ed

Guest Im4darush
I purchased from this seller and had great results - with the Bilstiens though. Good seller.

Ted

That's where I got my KYB set. Not installed yet, but they assure me the rears are a direct fit.