1st Generation floor mats

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

These rubber mats advertise they fit 61-75 Buicks or 63-75 Rivieras but our 1st Gen's have the gas pedal ball studded to the floor. Has anyone had trouble cutting these to fit around the gas pedal in their 3-5 Rivi?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Floor-Mats-1961-1975-Brown-/181132261701?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1965|Model%3ARiviera&hash=item2a2c52f945&vxp=mtr

Mike

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Mike I think I got mine from Cars Inc. about a year ago. I used an exacto knife to cut along a ridge line that was provided in the rubber and it fits fine and looks great. The mats are a little bit smaller than the original ones - they look like originals and are very similar rubber material.

Rock On

gord

(Floor mats are smaller and need trimming by the gas pedal) Why is it that when enterprises bother to tool up to make these reproductions, they don't sweat the details? Am I missing something? Is it a legal thing? Frankly I'm getting tired of repro parts that are billed as "exact reproductions" (not sure if that's the case here) only to find out that they are out of spec size-wise and quality-wise, typically cheap crap usually made in China. Rant over - back to refurbishing OEM parts best I can.

Guest clamshells
(Floor mats are smaller and need trimming by the gas pedal) Why is it that when enterprises bother to tool up to make these reproductions, they don't sweat the details? Am I missing something? Is it a legal thing? Frankly I'm getting tired of repro parts that are billed as "exact reproductions" (not sure if that's the case here) only to find out that they are out of spec size-wise and quality-wise, typically cheap crap usually made in China. Rant over - back to refurbishing OEM parts best I can.

Don't get me started on the China thing. The claims of "Exact Reproduction" fall short the minute you open the package, but in this case the 63-75 fitment says it all...............or I am getting wiser.

You'll have to find a Master Parts book and see what the part numbers are for different years. I'm betting that they were all somewhat different - each generation designed especially for that floor pan. I'm guessing that the reproductions took the best of all and came up with one universal one that would fit everything. I know that the factory "carpet savers" that I have in my '63 fit with no alterations.

Ed

Dave I will get some pictures of i them this afternoon. I will dig out the originals and show you a side by side.

Jan and Mike, the new ones, as I said are a little smaller, but I didn't say they fit in the foot well better than the originals because of being about 2-3% smaller. Yes I had to do a bit of trimming - I believe this is because the same mat can be used in many different models over many years, not just our beloved Rivieras. The new mats also have a very high quality rubber that has a very good finish and shows so much better than the original ones I had in the car, even after trying to clean and rejuvenate the rubber on the old ones. To boot they even smell new. I have had several compliments.

Like I said I will try to get some pics this afternoon.

Rock On

gord

Guest clamshells
Dave I will get some pictures of i them this afternoon. I will dig out the originals and show you a side by side.

Jan and Mike, the new ones, as I said are a little smaller, but I didn't say they fit in the foot well better than the originals because of being about 2-3% smaller. Yes I had to do a bit of trimming - I believe this is because the same mat can be used in many different models over many years, not just our beloved Rivieras. The new mats also have a very high quality rubber that has a very good finish and shows so much better than the original ones I had in the car, even after trying to clean and rejuvenate the rubber on the old ones. To boot they even smell new. I have had several compliments.

Like I said I will try to get some pics this afternoon.

Rock On

gord

Hi Gord,

CARS and every other vendor all sell the same mats. Between you being satisfied and the Saddle colored mats I have a set in route. I hope they match the trunk mat (somewhat will work) and I'll be back here to see your pics before I go cutting them to fit. Thanks Gord.

Mike

Pictures as promised - notes on each shot to describe what is what. Mike you will do well with the ones from CARS, and I think you are right the ones for sale out there around the same price are probably all from the same supplier.

Ed, I agree the repro guys had to interpolate (a good math word) the various original Carpet Saver sizes to come up with one that they could manufacture (at a good price) to fit as many different cars (models, sizes and years) as possible.

post-95345-143142618555_thumb.jpg

Rock On

gord

post-95345-143142618494_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142618518_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142618542_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gordon, Great pics, thanks. The repros look like A body mats in terms of the way they are shaped in the gas pedal area. The rear handy mats for the A body cars, compared to the full size cars, are smaller. How do the repro handy mats compare to your original full size? Smaller?

Mike, the mats in the link provided look like chocolate brown to me (like a `70 interior color match) and not the original saddle which is more like caramel. Maybe it is just the pic or my laptop. Are they described as "saddle"?

Tom

Guest clamshells
Gordon, Great pics, thanks. The repros look like A body mats in terms of the way they are shaped in the gas pedal area. The rear handy mats for the A body cars, compared to the full size cars, are smaller. How do the repro handy mats compare to your original full size? Smaller?

Mike, the mats in the link provided look like chocolate brown to me (like a `70 interior color match) and not the original saddle which is more like caramel. Maybe it is just the pic or my laptop. Are they described as "saddle"?

Tom

Tom, they are described as Saddle/Brown. I looked everywhere for Saddle mats I could live with, I'll have to make the final call on keeping them once I have them in hand.

Guest dwhiteside64

Although they are not a perfect size for our Rivieras (which I knew before I bought them), I am quite satisfied with mine as they do add a lot to the overall appeal of the car's interior. Basically close enough to the original that they are not worth fussing over. :D

Picking up on this floor mat thread, here's a pix of what I believe to be an original 1963 driver's mat from my very original Riv, (save for a not-so-great repaint sometime in the early 1980s and new leather front seats that actually look pretty good). I took a pix because something didn't sit right with me with regard to the dimmer switch area in earlier pix on this thread. I fully understand that the "reproductions" are made to accommodate a wider range of years and models (which makes good business sense) but again, this is why I'd rather refurbish than replace items. Open to any and all comments - on the floor mats, that is.

post-56475-1431426263_thumb.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64

Mat looks great to me Jan. I'd keep them if they are original. My car didn't have any mats when I bought it so I was forced to compromise rather than look for a rare set of originals in good condition. By the way your "original" is slightly different than Gord's (steering column, gas pedal and dimmer switch cutouts along with placement of Buick Emblem). Maybe they varied somewhat from '63 to '65???? I also understand that these mats came in a variety of colors to match many carpet colors. They even had white but I would think these would look dirty far too easily to be practical in a daily driver situation.

Edited by dwhiteside64 (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
Picking up on this floor mat thread, here's a pix of what I believe to be an original 1963 driver's mat from my very original Riv, (save for a not-so-great repaint sometime in the early 1980s and new leather front seats that actually look pretty good). I took a pix because something didn't sit right with me with regard to the dimmer switch area in earlier pix on this thread. I fully understand that the "reproductions" are made to accommodate a wider range of years and models (which makes good business sense) but again, this is why I'd rather refurbish than replace items. Open to any and all comments - on the floor mats, that is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259719[/ATTACH]

These are the style mats I have now they are dirt magnets (in a bad way) they also hinder the front carb from opening full bore when it rides over behind the accelerator due the angle top right corner. I may settle on the chocolate brown color just to get the pedal to the metal when I want it :-)

post-98889-143142626509_thumb.jpg

Mat looks great to me Jan. I'd keep them if they are original. My car didn't have any mats when I bought it so I was forced to compromise rather than look for a rare set of originals in good condition. By the way your "original" is slightly different than Gord's (steering column, gas pedal and dimmer switch cutouts along with placement of Buick Emblem). Maybe they varied somewhat from '63 to '65???? I also understand that these mats came in a variety of colors to match many carpet colors. They even had white but I would think these would look dirty far too easily to be practical in a daily driver situation.

White mats? I can't imagine but they must have been very cool! And a lot of $$ spent on Westley's Bleach-White! I'm definitely keeping my OEM mats, even if I have to wear Op Room medical booties so as not to wear them out any further. I cruise my Riv a minimum of 1x to 2x a week, usually 45 miles roundtrip to and from band rehearsal, late at night when San Diego traffic is non-existent, and I let her do her thing. Nothing better than a warm summer night by the glow of the ol' dashboard lights on a smooth state road. I just need a better stereo but that's OK - the engine note and exhaust burble is music to my ears just as well.

Guest dwhiteside64

...Nothing better than a warm summer night by the glow of the ol' dashboard lights on a smooth state road. I just need a better stereo but that's OK - the engine note and exhaust burble is music to my ears just as well.

Yes I know what you're talking about. Very cool stuff to experience takes you back to a different time for sure. :cool:

When I bought my '63 back in '82 the seller had installed white "carpet savers" and "handy mats" (front and rear) and the color actually looked good for 30 year old mats; can't say the same for the raised ribs though. The color out lasted the rubber.

Ed

Hi Gord,

CARS and every other vendor all sell the same mats. Between you being satisfied and the Saddle colored mats I have a set in route. I hope they match the trunk mat (somewhat will work) and I'll be back here to see your pics before I go cutting them to fit. Thanks Gord.

Mike

There is a different vendor on the Buick floor mats you may not be aware of. Legendary Auto Interiors is making factory style Buick mats in 17 different colors. I bought

a set of green ones for my car because I wanted to save my mint originals from getting worn over time. Here is a pic of the legendary mats I bought in dark green a few months ago. They are designed for Skylarks but can be trimmed to fit the driver's foot well in a Riv in about five minutes with an exacto knife. The other three mats are just

like my originals.

post-102001-143142633089_thumb.jpg

What do I do about the foot switch for my Wonder-bar radio? :o

Ed that is no problem........when you want to push it, grab the steering wheel with your right hand, reach down with

you left hand, peel up the floor mat, push on the switch, put the floor mat back down and then grab the steering wheel again!

What do I need to do then if I have to use the dimmer switch to override the guide-matic at the same time?

Ed

No problem Ed........drive with your left shoe off, raise up the floor mat with your left hand, grab the wheel with your right hand then use your toes on one switch and your heel on the other. If you get a headset for your cell phone you can talk on your phone at the same time as well!:o:cool:

The CARS floor mats arrived, they are nice but nothing Saddle about them they are Brown.

Go to the legendary auto interiors website....they offer 17 different colors of Buick factory style mats and they have an online color chart. Pick the

colors that look right on the screen and they will send you samples, as they don't make them till you see a sample to make sure you will be happy with them.

Guest RivinitUP

Hey Dwight I think I may have just stumbled upon a set of original floor mats from a 64, if your still on the hunt. let me know. if you can send me a quick email to darrell@darrellbrown.ca, I will pass on your email to the guy.

Guest RivinitUP

Hey Mike, that guy with the parts car I was dealing with had a complete original set of the first generation car mats, in good shape. like the ones you posted pictures of. I'm sure he would likely be a little more forgiving on price than what you're seeing on ebay. Here's his email ask him to shoot you a couple of photos, real great guy to deal with.

Gary Ayotte <gayotte1@cogeco.ca