taking tires off '29 collapsible rims

To roll my car out of garage I had to put on a new tire. I used a rim spreader, a couple of heavy steel "paddles", large screwdriver, heavy metal shears and even a shovel to "keep my place" along the rim to be able to pry the rim from the tire. This took 5 hours in Texas heat. I can't remember how I did this on the same car back in 1978 and I don't have much of my youth anymore :) Is there an easier way? I'm really afraid using the same method getting the new tires on I could puncture the tube and really mess up the new finish on the rims. Ideas are much appreciated!

Hi Bob, did you collapse the rim if so it could be easy to get the tire on or off.if you use a rim liner you won't puncture the tube, Put the tube in the tire and air it up to take the wrinkles out , then put the liner in the tire,It protects the tube. hope this helps

Yes, Bob. I discovered a real easy way. I took them to a tire place to install them for me. I stood there with a big smile on my face while they removed five tires and installed new ones for $30 each. I didn't sweat a bit. Unless you are one of those guys (like I used to be) that has to do it all himself, take it somewhere an enjoy the show.

Thanks, Bill, I do use the liner / flap and I did use the rim spreader to collapse the rim, but it was an ordeal and if I use the same method to put tires back on I know I will damage the finish on the rims. Hahaha, Dwight, I love your "easy way"...I've called places here, but they either won't touch them or say it's dangerous....maybe I need to keep calling places...$30 seems a good trade for 5 hours of my time!

Bob....do you have the rim tool that you are supposed to turn in order to shrink the inner rims? It is a zigzag shape similar to the crank. It takes me about 15 minutes per wheel to change out the tires and tubes. I am thinking that the 1929 has a tool very similar to my 1931 tool.

post-37352-143142617015_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142617026_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142617294_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Keiser, I've never seen that kind of tool before! Very cool! I just have the rim spreader which helps to collapse rim....Dwight, maybe so....I'll keep checking....I think the car is so old they have not dealt w/ rims like this.....or maybe they don't want to take the time w/ them.

Hi Bob,

Marty Roth suggested:

Re: Anyone in Fort Worth know where to get 20's-30's tires mounted?

He should probably check with Wallace Wade who sells tires for vintage cars in the area.

Wallace Wade Specialty Tires in Dallas, TX - 214-580-1083

Wallace Wade Specialty Tires at 530 Regal Row, Dallas, TX 75247-5208.

www.wallacewade.com

also, he could check with other AACA members in the area for any other suggestions - the many clubs there support the exceptional PATE SWAP MEET..

Good luck to him - hope all goes well

Dwight

Keiser, yes, I used a rim spreader and it looks just like the one in your post.....it was still a bear to take off the tire and I had the rim spreader fully cranked down....maybe they had different sizes of rim spreaders?...like ones in the early 20s that would crank down 24" rims and smaller ones by late 20s that would crank down 19" rims....don't know. Anyway, your instruction sheet is very cool, thanks for posting!

If they say it's dangerous, they are thinking of the "split rims" from the 60's. If you mishandle those, they can be fatal. Our twenty's and thirty's wheels are a totally different animal. They are only dangerous if you pinch your fingers.

You are forgetting a number of vehicles of around 1930 that used locking ring rims, e.g. Dodge Brothers Eight-in-line, DA, DE, DI, DG,. Toyota Hilux utes used them c. 1980. Trucks used them 'til fairly recently.

Yes, they are a PITA to get off. The ends were often broken off the rings - two of mine have old repairs. I would not dream of taking them to a tire shop - I value them and the rim too much, not to mention the paint!

To roll my car out of garage I had to put on a new tire. I used a rim spreader, a couple of heavy steel "paddles", large screwdriver, heavy metal shears and even a shovel to "keep my place" along the rim to be able to pry the rim from the tire.

I am not sure what sort of rim you are talking about. A photo would help clear up the confusion. I can't remember your model - DA? Does it have wire wheels or wood? The devices you describe using makes me thing you are talking about a locking ring rim as used on DA wire wheels and not a collapsible rim (a.k.a. split rim).

If it is locking rings, it would help to see a photo of the ends, with the starting notch visible.

I use a large (wide=0.5") screw driver to start at the big notch, then another wide screw driver to hold my place and gradually work around with the two screw drivers. Brake the bead first. I do mine on carpet wearing my biggest steel capped boots - they are heavy with a strong sole and I can dance on the tire to break the bead. I put wood under the carpet under the hub so I am supported on the wheel rather than the tire. Some are hard to start so I filed an old tire lever humped end to fit in the starting notch to give a little more travel.

Pop up a photo to end the confusion.

Thanks Spiineyhill....the rims are from a '29 DA wood wheels..I have the split rim, not a locking rim...the rim spreader helped a lot...it was relatively easy getting one side of the tire, but the other side was a PITA....if I got one side off all tires then maybe I could get a tire shop to use their machine to get off the other side and free the tire from the rim.

Do you mean it is hard to get the "far" bead over the edge of the rim? Can you start where the rim is collapsed, on the rim side, with your two screwdrivers or tire levers and work your way round, levering the tire off as you go? I have tried PVC tape on the levers to try to preserve the paint, not altogether successfully. Whatever, once you start to get hot and bothered, it is time for a rest to cool and calm down.

Yes, Spinneyhill, you have it exactly correct. It was the far bead that was hard to get off...I did work around w/ all the tools I mentioned in original post and it took me 5 hours on a 104 degree day.....anyway, that's why I asking if there might be an easier method. I did cool down and then had a cold scotch and water! :)

I've been "tire-ing" from the old split rims for many years. No easy way other than using the 3 point crank spreader ALONG with tire spoons (irons) and my miracle lube, dish soap & water in a spray bottle. (no big secret). In the shade on the grass. If you have access to junk leaf springs, they work so much better than big screwdrivers or even tire spoons. Carefully (and I do mean carefully), "undo" the leaves of an old spring. I use big C clamps, clamping the leaves in place, then cut off all retainer parts with my angle grinder. Slowly remove the C clamps. Pick out a couple of good leaves as you do picking out tomatoes in the store. I cut them down in length to about 20 " for easier handling. Now grind all edges smooth and round the ends. Follow with sanding out your grinder marks. Small rust pits don't matter on the flat areas.

Don't forget to powder the tube/inner casing/flap before mounting tire on rim. I use the big yellow shaker bottle of Gold Bond body powder on the tubes, and my tubes thank me for it.