Magneto question

crazycars

My (newly acquired) '22 Coupe immediately stops running when switched to magneto. The mag does light a 12 v tail light bulb (mag post wire disconnected) while the car is running. I have tried directly wiring the mag post to the hot lead on the switch but still get same result. I would appreciate any ideas you folks have on this subject. Thanks!

Read the AC voltage range at the Mag post (MAG is AC), it should go higher than 12 Volts. Maybe the BATT./MAG. switch is not making good contact. do not let any battery voltage touch the mag post or it can kill the Magnets, unless you are sure of what you are doing. Did the car run on MAG for the last owner? If not the coils could be adjusted poorly,

I wish to suggest you visit the MTFCA FORUM and search MAGNETO. No need to ask as the magneto and testing for problems and solutions has been discussed there to death. First point is using the correct meter in conjunction with a light bulb. There is only one way to test properly for an accurate reading. Good Luck