35 plymouth transmission compatability

Guest lizardtrack

Guest carlnut50

35 through 39 I believe, Plymouth and Dodge, cars not trucks. I am not certain about Desoto and Chrysler.

As carlnut50 says, but look out for the hand brake attached to the trans. case. A case with a brake attached replaces one without, but the other way is harder. Either drill holes or weld nuts on the case. Some '36 used case with brake. Same case also fits '35 airstream, some '36 C7, 8 Airstream, some '37 Chry, some 38 and some 39 Chry; also some '36 to 39 de Soto; '35-39 Dodge but not all '36 D2s. It is a T86-1 (1T86-1 with brake). Complete sets of gears interchange from '35-'39.

'40-51 is a different trans, looks to be all new in '40. Note also they may be column shift. It does all Ply, Chry, Dodge and de Soto with std trans. (not Underdrive).

Cases from others also bolt to the bell housing, e.g. 37 Stude w/o o.d.; 36 and 37 Grahams sent to England; some Mack trucks; Reo '36-40 6-50 & 50L.

P.M. me if you want more info. This is from The Hollander.

Guest Commodore

Be careful on the 1939 transmission. The interchange is for the P7 Roadking model only. The P8 Deluxe had a column shift transmission. As far putting the 1939 gears in the the 1935 case, some of the gears are different. The P8 Deluxe transmission more so then the P7 Roadking transmission.

P7 and P8 both had handbrakes. The main drive gear (M.D.G. a.k.a. input pinion) is the same in them but different to the PJ (how is not stated, but the number is suffixed A in the PJ and is without the suffix for the P7 & P8). The Hollander says "complete sets of gears interchange '35-39". There are four internal parts different between P7 & P8 and to the PJ. There are another 2 parts different in P8 to the PJ and P7.

You may be able to bolt straight in IF the gearbox length is the same and the M.D.G. will fit into your clutch and is the right length. If your PJ does not have the brake and brake mounting holes in the P7 or P8 box go right through, put in a couple of bolts with thread tape and a copper washer (and then paint the area around the washers).

The P7 & P8 cases appear to have the same casting number 668068.

Based on all this and you probably knowing the P7 or P8 origin of the '39 box, it should work. If there are any difficulties, you can swap the internals. Presumably when The Hollander says that they include the M.D.G. in the complete gear set.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out so we can all learn from your experience.

Guest carlnut50

Hey Commodore, The best I remember the 39 transmission difference between Roadking and Deluxe is the transmission top. All the shifting mechanics are in the top and can be switched out. 40 and up shift rails and forks are in the side cover and case.

• 2 months later...
Guest lizardtrack

I put the 39 in the 35 now I have to adapt the emergency brake from right side to left. It would have been easier if I could have found a second gear but no luck. Another day or two should do it.

• 3 months later...
Guest lizardtrack

I got the tranny in and the linkage for the E brake from right to left side, all works fine then found a gear ln Ebay for $50. Oh well now I have to decide if I want to pull it and replace the original one.

Now I need to find an accelerator pump. Any ideas? Thanks

I got the tranny in and the linkage for the E brake from right to left side, all works fine then found a gear ln Ebay for $50. Oh well now I have to decide if I want to pull it and replace the original one.

Now I need to find an accelerator pump. Any ideas? Thanks

What gear are you talking about?

Guest lizardtrack

I thought I told of loosing 2nd gear. I found an engine and tranny from a 39 for $200 so I replaced the 35 with the 39 tranny then 3 months later found a 2nd gear on ebay. The carb on the 39 needs an accelerator pump.