1933 Series 90 chatter in the clutch

Guest outlaw car man

Guest outlaw car man

Hi all-

I'm getting some chatter in the clutch of my 1933 90. High RPMs kinda helps, but my other 90 didn't have this- Had the same issue in a 34 Ford, but was an adjustment-

Car has been sitting a lot lately. hopeful suspect is the surface has oil on it maybe. I'm not a clutch guy and have limited facilities , any thoughts on this .....

Lot of " thud, thud, thud " on first gear takeoff ( only) and reverse. Maybe reduces after driving a bit, but not sure. As I say, high RPMs help.

No issues from the prior owner, YEARS ago.

Engine was restored in the late 60s, probably ( ? ) new clutch, but has VERY few miles on the car......

Thanks- Thoughts....

OCM

Hi Sandy,

Long time no talk to.............

Usually clutch chatter is the result of a warped driven disk, from heat. Some times it is from oil spots from either the rear main seal OR it could come from the transmission front seal.

Do you notice any slippage once you get rolling and do some fast acceleration or in your case put a heavy load on her ?

Do you have a lower flywheel cover as a separate tin cover ? If so you could pull it and check for oil in the bottom.

Mine has this and I do get some oil spots from the hole in the cover, and I have confirmed that it is from the Tx. Especially on long hot drives.

What's the "thud-thud-thud" ? Does she "buck" in first gear ?

If your clutch is anything like mine (all mechanical linkage), how much freeplay in the pedal ?

Mine engages about a third of the way down and I have confirmed that the throw out lever has a bit of slack when she is full engaged.

Mike in Colorado

PS We took 2nd this year at the "Abby" show in Cannon City, behind a 47 Chrysler woodie that had just come out of a full restoration.

Our show on July 5th was a good one, with over 130 cars attending.

Next up is the Salida show on Aug 2nd.

I'll miss the Gunnison show in September due to our travel schedule.

Guest outlaw car man

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, haven't done a lot of car stuff lately, big project going on, then dodging hail & rain...

Yes it's covered with a substantial piece of iron which is connected to the metal splash plates. Appears to be normal drips of oil here & there, nothing 30s unusual I'd say.

When I start out, it's like when we were learning to drive a stick shift in the 50s. I'd have to road test this, but it seems to go away after I've been on the road as if there were oil on the disc face and wears off with driving.

I've only messed with two clutches in my life so in the old days you'd point your finger at the throw-out bearing maybe.

You've seen the car, it's engine is newer looking I don't think more then 5K miles on it since the late 60s when I was told the family that got it from the DuPonts, had the engine rebuilt then. I guess what I'm saying, doubt there is significant wear on the clutch-

Maybe I need a driving lesson.

Pedal goes down maybe 20% before engage is made. Wizard is there but unhooked, shop manual does show how to adjust the Wizard to the clutch and only a 1" lash in the pedal- Maybe my next thing to follow. Adjusting the Wizard is something I don't want to do if I don't have to.

Thanks & congratulations on your shows.

good chatting again.

Sandy

Hi Sandy: I would definitely disconnect the vacuum line to the Wizzard control. Any vacuum leaking to the controls could affect the clutch operation. I would think more in terms of rust on the clutch disks causing chatter. Oil gets on the clutch while driving. when parked, oil won't find its way to the disks. These cars need to be driven. Shame on you for neglecting that fine car.

Bob Engle

Guest outlaw car man

post-54015-143142623937_thumb.jpgHi Bob-

Thanks, and yes, shame on me for not driving it lately. I'll have to take care of that this weekend morning. No birds or hail forecasted in the sky-

The vacuum is unhooked & plugged, so that's not an issue. It is kept inside in good running order with a battery tender and shined up beautifully.

Rust on the disk, never heard of that but makes sense I guess. At least the old Marvel demons have left the car-

Sandy

I've also seen the chatter caused by a damaged pressure plate, either by overheated and scorched face, or by having unequal springs on the fingers - this was a long time ago on a Kaiser.

The clutch on my '41 Cadillac also has a chatter, and the gentleman who checked out the car before I bought it told me about it back in 2006. He also noted that his '41 Cadillac has had the same chatter ever since his father bought the car new for his mother back in 1941, and had not been changed. It has not affected the cars performance. Learn how to deal with it - maybe a quicker engagement - and it could still provide good service for years to come. My advice? Drive it and smile !

Guest outlaw car man

Thanks- I checked the mounts, newer looking and OK. I did run it out a bit and chatter seemed to lesson as I got out, then the temp got up to about 95 outside and the car got to hot to touch. I'll keep at it, probably right, don't worry about it and drive it more. Did get it up to about 48 and it coughed a bit, probably the intermediate jet.

I might be riding the clutch a bit, some of these old cars shift like butter, some take more finesse . I'll check connections too-

Appreciate the help.

Sandy

Guest outlaw car man
post-54015-143142637654_thumb.jpgTook the 90 out for a early cool morning run, ran fine. Maybe a little chatter going up/out our steeper driveway, but just old car sound. Other then that she ran perfect. Runs very quiet, like a big black " stealth " car as my neighbor calls it.

Guest outlaw car man

post-54015-143142637744_thumb.jpgThanks Marty, you have an impressive collection as we all know. Like you, I like to post photos, people like that I think. Sneak in a picture of the 733 Packard if you would, like to see that big boy-

Here is my machine gun, gangster picture, to compete with my fellow Coloradoan, Mike in the high country ! LOL

Sandy

post-54015-143142637718_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143142637722_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143142637726_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143142637741_thumb.jpg

"Thanks Marty, you have an impressive collection as we all know. Like you, I like to post photos, people like that I think. Sneak in a picture of the 733 Packard if you would, like to see that big boy-

Here is my machine gun, gangster picture, to compete with my fellow Coloradoan, Mike in the high country ! LOL

Sandy"

Hi Sandy,

Not much call for a Packard picture here on our Buick FORUM :) , but here is our 1930 733 Touring:

....and NO, that is not our home (LOL) - it is OAK ALLEY PLANTATION on the west bank of the Mississippi River, in Vacherie, LA between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, and is open to visitors

post-54863-143142640047_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142640057_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142640069_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142640079_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142640081_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142640084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest outlaw car man

Yes it is. I do get some chatter backing up and out our drive, but probably the driver's fault. It's a bit of a blind exit in reverse, so I'm on the clutch a bit.

Looooong car backing into potential traffic.

Sandy, you need to back that Big Beauty onto the lawn (but not into your better half's flower bed), or better yet - pave a side section so you can turn around and not have to back into traffic.

Where in Colorado are you? We will drive through parts of your "Colorful" state on our way home from the AACA Meet in Big Sky, Montana in September (which follows the Founders Tour in New Hampshire and Maine).

Great area, Sandy - our daughter's significant other's Mom lives there, as well as our friend Bob - an Oldsmobile guy who is national treasurer for VMCCA.

Our trip home from BIG SKY will likely take us through Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Snake River Canyon, Arches National Park, then back through Grand Junction and down through Gateway (my wife did not get to see the collection there after they added the ($3,200,000) Olds F-88 (Corvette-type) prototype from the Barrett-Jackson sale years ago. Then down to Montrose - a beautiful drive -- or else through Ouray, Silverton, and Durango

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest outlaw car man

Ouray, Silverton, Durango is a must when in Colorado, Durango has the famous steam locomotive train ride you can do. You will be just up the road from Mike, Flyer15015 on the site here. I'm on the other side of the Rockys. Tell your friend Bob there is a 1933 Buick 90 hiding here !

PM me with names if you want, might know these folks ?

Thanks Sandy,

We've toured almost every inch of Colorado, going back to 1980 or so, when our kids were young, and really enjoyed the Narrow-Guage Durango-Silverton train ride, and then driving the Million Dollar road to Ouray in our '63 Impala convertible en route to a VMCCA Tour based in Butte, MT. Colorado is certainly among our favorite places to drive. The good thing about planning a tour there is you can just throw a dart at a map and have a fantastic route.

Hi Marty,

If you are going to be in Montrose, try coming east on Hwy 50 thru the "Black Canyon" and Gunnison (they have a nice museum w/ old cars there). Then you cross the divide @ Monarch Pass, turn left @ Poncha Springs and you will be at my place in 20 minutes on Hwy 285. Hotel is open if you need one.

Back south to Salida and drive Hwy 50 along the Arkansas river out to Pueblo. A beautiful drive !!!!!

Dave's Buick stopped by a while ago and we had a nice chat.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Mike,

That sounds almost exactly like the drive I did back in 2007. I remember Gunnison and crossing the divide at Monarch. Somebody told me about another great road, turning right and following, but I'm not sure if it came out at Pueblo, or maybe a bit farther south into I-25. I had the '54 Cadillac convertible on that trip. Thanks for the invitation. Dale & I will touch base as plans firm-up.

There were some really nice Buicks at the AACA Central Division Meet in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin yesterday;

a nice 1912,

and a 1937 80C Roadmaster Phaeton

were just a couple of the ones I got to spend more time with, but there were so many others - all very nice !!

Guest outlaw car man
Great area, Sandy - our daughter's significant other's Mom lives there, as well as our friend Bob - an Oldsmobile guy who is national treasurer for VMCCA.

Our trip home from BIG SKY will likely take us through Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Snake River Canyon, Arches National Park, then back through Grand Junction and down through Gateway (my wife did not get to see the collection there after they added the ($3,200,000) Olds F-88 (Corvette-type) prototype from the Barrett-Jackson sale years ago. Then down to Montrose - a beautiful drive -- or else through Ouray, Silverton, and Durango

Marty,

If you do change plans and come down thru Cheyenne into Colorado, I'll show you the big 33 90. The guy that sold the Olds F-88, bought my 1954 Hudson Hornet from me. I think it's in his place in AZ these days.

Sandy

Mike,

That sounds almost exactly like the drive I did back in 2007. I remember Gunnison and crossing the divide at Monarch. Somebody told me about another great road, turning right and following, but I'm not sure if it came out at Pueblo, or maybe a bit farther south into I-25. I had the '54 Cadillac convertible on that trip. Thanks for the invitation. Dale & I will touch base as plans firm-up.

Marty,

While you are in Grand Junction, Colorado make a point of going to the Tammy Allen car museum @ 2285 River road in Grand Junction. A varied collection but well worth the time. To get to gateway, take Hwy 50 east toward Delta and look for the iddy biddy sign just past the last traffic light.....

Mike in Buena Vista, Co