What Quadrajet Model should I choose for an OEM replacement on my '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme?

Guest DUrekew

Guest DUrekew

My father-in-Law has bestowed the honor of restoring his '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme on me and my first step was to get her running. After diggin into it, I found that the Quadrajet needs to be replaced, but I find no reference to a model number that I can match to those in Year One's catalogue. Which Quadrajet model should I choose for a '72 w/ an Olds Rocket 350 for an OEM replacement? And if anyone recomends anyone besides Year One, please advise. Stand by for more questions along the way...

My father-in-Law has bestowed the honor of restoring his '72 Olds Cutlass Supreme on me and my first step was to get her running. After diggin into it, I found that the Quadrajet needs to be replaced, but I find no reference to a model number that I can match to those in Year One's catalogue. Which Quadrajet model should I choose for a '72 w/ an Olds Rocket 350 for an OEM replacement? And if anyone recomends anyone besides Year One, please advise. Stand by for more questions along the way...

The first question is, why do you think it needs to be replaced? Unless the carb is corroded to the point of being unserviceable, rebuilding the original is usually the best choice. If you must replace it, the model number is stamped on the driver's side of the carb main body, as shown in the attached drawing. Most likely, the carb number will be 7042250. Most aftermarket Qjets will be correct only for a Chevy motor. Olds motors used Qjets with a front inlet (instead of the side inlet) and differences in the throttle arm. In particular, beware of supposed "correct" carbs sold on auction sites, as these are often frankencarbs cobbled together from incorrect parts, restamped, and sold at high prices to the uninformed.

post-48036-143142614695_thumb.jpg

There is no better carb for your application than the original.

The first item of business is to acquire a factory Oldsmobile shop manual for the vehicle. Read the section on the Rochester Q-Jet. As Joe stated, the identification number is stamped (not a raised casting number) on the drivers side of the center section. Acquire a carburetor rebuilding kit. Reread the section on Rochester Q-Jets. Rebuild the carb.

Chances are about 99 to 1 that the original that you rebuild (even if its your first Q-jet) will perform much better than a "one size fits none" from year-one.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DUrekew

Roger that... the "logic" behind thinking that I needed to replace the Carburetor was purely driven by the fact that I had dissassembled a portion of it to clean it and now have no fricking clue, even with the pictures I took, how to get it back together becasue I walked away from the project for several months. I've already oredered the Assembly manual and the rebuild kit, soI'll take a stab at it. Thanks for the info gentlemen! If by chance I am not successful, will there be someone who can rebuild even if it is in "pieces"?