Battery Cable

Guest BobFitz

Guest BobFitz

After getting the car off the trailer the next project is the (-) battery cable. It is open. where does the other (from batt) end? How is that point accessed?

Bob

89 SOHC TC

After getting the car off the trailer the next project is the (-) battery cable. It is open. where does the other (from batt) end? How is that point accessed?

Bob

89 SOHC TC

Your question is rather vague. You say "it is open", is that as in OPEN CIRCUIT? The primary (-) cable extends from the battery negative post to the upper most, forward side bolt hole in the cylinder head. You could also attach it to the lower hole if that is more convenient. The secondary (smaller) cable attaches under the battery box to the sheet metal where other ground cables converge.

To access these areas, you might have to move or remove the obstacles in your way. He who is doing it will have to find a way.

Guest BobFitz

OK- thanks for the reply.

Yes it is an open circuit. The cable that is on the car now does not have the smaller wire.

This car has numerous electrical problems- dash warning lights, wipers, radio, driver seat controls, trunk release,drivers door window and probably more I have not checked.

I am hoping there is a common fault causing at least some of the problems. I will be able to troubleshoot more when my manuals arrive.

Thanks again

Bob

OK- thanks for the reply.

Yes it is an open circuit. The cable that is on the car now does not have the smaller wire.

This car has numerous electrical problems- dash warning lights, wipers, radio, driver seat controls, trunk release, drivers door window and probably more I have not checked.

I am hoping there is a common fault causing at least some of the problems. I will be able to troubleshoot more when my manuals arrive.

Thanks again

Bob

If you look down on the battery side of the car, there should be several small black wires coming out of the various wiring harnesses attached to the inner sheet metal with a sheetmetal screw. This is where the secondary (-) should also be attached. You could make up this secondary cable, attaching it to the battery (-) terminal retaining bolt and the other end at the ground wires retaining screw. This could (possibly) fix some of your problems. Lack of a good ground is often the cause of electrical problems.

Guest BobFitz

OK- got the engine compartment de-greased and traced the cable back to the head. Looks like they took a 3 foot cable and snaked it down and in front of the engine or is that the way it is supposed to be? Cleaned all the clamps/posts/terminals/head and reconnected everything. Works fine- no more jumper cable ground. Did not get to check if this solved any of the electrical problems. It is 98 deg. outside and I am overheated.

Bob

OK- Traced the cable back to the head. Looks like they took a 3 foot cable and snaked it down and in front of the engine or is that the way it is supposed to be? It is 98 deg. outside and I am overheated.

Bob

You think you got it hot, been more than 112 here today. As to the ground cable, the original does go down from the battery post, toward the engine block at the base and then fairly straight up to the head. Yours 'sounds' normal.