69 Riviera - restore or mod

Guest blue69

Guest blue69

I am a new Riviera owner. I just inherited my grandfather-in-laws 1969 Riviera. I have been begging for it since I met my wife. He bought the car new and has had it since. It looks like it will be a case of "Be careful you may get what you wish for" situations as it is in worse shape that I thought. It has been sitting in his lake house garage for as long as I have known my wife (20+ years) and I believe the last time he had it running was 10+ years ago. Garage is un-heated and damp and it looks like the top end of the engine has "a bit" of rust due to condensation. I believe the engine is seized - have removed plugs and squirted in PB Blaster - and removed one valve cover to discover flaking rust from the underside of valve cover and sludgy build up on top of head. Next task will be to remove head and see what it and top side of cylinders looks like. Fortunately the oil is full and looks great, but it is looking like an engine re-build. The body has some typical rust around the wheel arches and a few door dings, but seems solid otherwise (incl. floor pans). This is not a GS, just the basic Riv, but does have buckets, AC, all power, etc. My question is this: As this is a complete, numbers matching car, is it worth it to keep it all original, or is it just not collectible enough to be concerned about that? I do not plan to make it a show car, just want to have a nice driver that I and my 14 year old son can have fun working on and I can pass on to him. I would like to make a few mods here and there, but feel a bit 'guilty' about altering it as it is so original and intact. Let this newbie know what you all think and sorry for the long post.

Guest clamshells

Opinions are like..................everybody has one, here is mine: The car is just another Rivi badass either way. Matching numbers KX, LX, MZ Rivieras have the greatest investment potential followed by the GS Rivieras and the later GS with the Stage 1. The A/C & buckets/console cars are favored by all. Again IMNSHO the car is a better candidate than going Mod on a Gran Sport or Super Wildcat car.

Now my question for you. What do you consider going Mod?

Welcome to the forum and by all means enjoy the car with no regrets.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. If you can post some more pictures of the exterior, interior, engine, and trunk, that will really help us offer more relative suggestions. Also post what you think you'd be willing to invest in the car over a 2-3 year period. Also tell us what your skill level is as far as doing some work yourself as that will be a factor.

If the body is in fact solid including the floors other than the areas you mentioned my initial instinct is to say fix it up and keep it original because of the sentimental value. Few people have the opportunity to own a car that old which was bought new in the family.

As was evident at this years annual ROA meet in Colorado Springs, many folks choose to modifiy their Riviera with bolt-ons to personalize it but it can always be changed back to original with little effort.

The 69 Rivs are great road cars for cruising with very reliable drivetrains once everything is serviced.

There is little to nothing available in the aftermarket for the '69 Riviera. That means if your plan is to restore, most everything you need to buy would be good used or NOS. Fortunately they did make a ton of '69 Rivieras but the used supply is drying up. My opinion is that this car is not "worth" restoring if you are looking to break even when you sell it.

I did a frame off on a '69 Riviera and it was the most expensive restoration I had ever done. The end result was a return for pennies on the dollar when I finally sold it to stop the bleeding. My suggestion would be to part it out. If the grill and headlights are in good condition, they are in great demand as is a lot of the chrome and stainless trim. The 430 is a great engine but was only made for a couple years. If you are going to keep it, I'd drop in a 455 and call it good. You will also have to find a great driveline shop that knows and understands 2 piece drivelines as your center bearing is possibly shot and parts are very hard to find. I sincerely wish you luck with your decision.

Dear Blue

Welcome aboard! I have a 67 and am enjoying scrwing around with it for the past 2 years. I live in West Caldwell, and have learned a lot re who, what and where to go to re parts and services.

Feel free to contact me via this site, or my e-mail scola1951@aol.com. I'm no mechanic but I sure know a few good ones.I'd be glad to take a ride one day.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest buickchaser

I own a 1968, almost identical.. have not driven in 20+ years but used to use it as a daily spring to fall car.... no car I have ever owned was ever more fun to be in, be seen in, or to surprise people by how fast she is or how great it handled. i saved her when she broke and life got busy... plan on starting to rebuild her soon..... my advice-- and i agree opinions are like a.......s...

is keep it looking stock... the 430 cube motor is 375 hp with 475hp stock... just a mild cam and an aluminum intake -which could be painted red to look stock-- and it will be more than you will ever need for the street.. i had 255/60hr-15 tires on mine..stock suspension but the tires made it look like a 2inch drop.. and made it handle very good. make sure you go through the brakes... the big finned drums are rebuild-able now and will put you though the windshield under 50 mph..... they are not so good at higher speeds... not bad... but not like a new car. there are some disk brake conversions out there but are not cheap. especially being new the hobby, keep them stock... you can always change it afterwards

don't be afraid of the cost... sounds like this one has some sentimental value... it is true you wont make money on the car if you intention is to sell it... but why would you want to.... once its done and you drive you will never forget it.... you will see why men name their cars after females.... some you just never can forget