Intermittant overdrive problem

fordmerc

My overdrive kicks in intermittently: sometimes yes, other times no change when I let up on the gas pedal. Worse, a bump in the road has kicked it out - and it went back in when I let up on the gas. After engine rebuild and trans/OD cleaning and inspection, it performed flawlessly for 1000 mi. (R9 unit in '41 120) Any suggestions?

To come in it needs a good solid ground or to drop out it has to lose ground from the governor. Some problem areas have been the grounding strap on the bakelite back of the governor from the contacts to one of the cover screws. The screws are known to loosen and connection corrodes so ground is intermittent -- that is assuming the contacts and actuating mechanism in the governor is in good condition and no water has gotten inside -- another known issue. Another problem area was some inline connectors. If you have a two piece harness which has a short section from the governor and solenoid connected to the main harness, those 5 or 6 connectors were known issues even when new. They were eliminated on some cars with harness parts being soldered together so you may or may not have the connectors. If you have them make sure they are clean, dry and have good connections. The kickdown switch having loose connections or bad adjustment is something to look at and the final thing is the lockout switch on end of under dash knob assy. The terminals can loosen or the plunger can wear at the end where it contacts the rod. Some have worn to the point the switch can open from vibration or not make at all.