Need new muffler.

bikemikey

I'm getting my cat converter replaced tomorrow at Sears, they gave me a great price. I noticed I also need a new muffler, I check out the past forums and the Walker 18240 was recommended. The only problem is, that muffler has been discontinued , does anyone know of a good replacement, mine has a 2 1/4 inlet and 2 2" outlets. Does the replacement muffler have to have two outlets instead of one, what is the purpose of the two outlets, does it cause a bigger draft, just curious? It's an 89 Reatta.

Thanks,

Mike

The outlet sizes are not terribly important other than for easy attachment to your existing pipes. Good shops and adapt to different sizes both up and down.

The Walker was said to be a quiet street muffler. Other owners have ask for Camaro mufflers and by looking at the supplier catalog you can select one that fits your pipes, they had different size pipes for different years and engine sizes. If you want it quiet go with a stock type muffler, likewise if you want a little sound, most manufactures have several levels of mufflers both in sound and quality.

You will notice the Camaro in stock form, has the double end on the input and the second pipe is an outlet, so when installed the Camaro had pipes coming out both ends. If you look at the fine print in the muffler catalogs, most state that any port can be used as an IN and any can be used as an OUT.... so the Camaro muffler is used slightly differently on the Reatta...... the single end (which is an out) becomes an IN on the Reatta.

I hope this makes sense.

Ronnie may have more info on his web site.

Guest Corvanti

unless you have to use a "Sears Credit Card", i would cancel your appt tomorrow. i say this as my Dad worked at a Sears Auto Center for almost 30 years starting in the 60's as a mechanic, sales and management. things started going downhill in the 90's. yes, i have purchased tires and some small maintenance items since then - but it is not the same as it was... they will probably find a "reason" to charge you more for other things they find - just like other places do...:mad:

i'd suggest finding a LOCAL muffler shop that will either have the parts available at a good price - or will install the parts you furnish.

if i needed to replace my cat and muffler, and couldn't DIY, that's what i would do. and i'd go with the Camaro/Firebird muffler. if you want "quiet", find the Walker or similar. the cat is available in "The Reatta Store": http://thereattastore.com/buick-reatta-exhaust-parts/

my 2 cents...:)

unless you have to use a "Sears Credit Card", i would cancel your appt tomorrow. i say this as my Dad worked at a Sears Auto Center for almost 30 years starting in the 60's as a mechanic, sales and management. things started going downhill in the 90's. yes, i have purchased tires and some small maintenance items since then - but it is not the same as it was... they will probably find a "reason" to charge you more for other things they find - just like other places do...:mad:

i'd suggest finding a LOCAL muffler shop that will either have the parts available at a good price - or will install the parts you furnish.

if i needed to replace my cat and muffler, and couldn't DIY, that's what i would do. and i'd go with the Camaro/Firebird muffler. if you want "quiet", find the Walker or similar. the cat is available in "The Reatta Store": http://thereattastore.com/buick-reatta-exhaust-parts/

my 2 cents...:)

Thanks for those replies. I'll have to make a decision on quiet or a little louder, I'll check on that. Yes, I know about Sears, but this particular one I go to has been good so far. I rebuilt a front end on an 81 chevy silverado , and they were the only one in town that could align it and get it right, I was impressed, I guess it depends on the manager and the mechanics at the time. Normally I do my own mechanic work, I'll probably do the muffler myself, it is easy to get to, I just don't feel like messing with the cat under the car. I just replaced the gas tank and fuel pump and that's enough to last me for awhile, my back stills aches, if you know what I mean .

Thanks

When I left my 30's I swore I would never do 4 things, mufflers, shocks/struts, Rack and Pinions, and gas tanks. In my 50's I did three of them [struts, Rack and Pinion, and muffler].

Maybe the Reatta is the fountain of youth?

However I am no longer doing any of the afore mentioned items anymore, so I guess that makes me old again...

Mike,

There's a Sears auto center out here in Merrillville, IN. that has guys work there that have been there forever. I'd have no problem taking my car to them.

I have and will again. But, like you, I do most of my own work and since it's a bit of a drive, I don't go there very often.

I hear ya on the exhaust work. It's a bit awkward and even with eye protection, it seems that I always get something stuck in one eye or the other. Anyway...

If I were to do it again, I'd go with a quieter muffler on my '89. At first it sounded a bit sporty but after riding around in it for awhile I find that I appreciate the quieter muffler that's on my '90. The '90 muffler is factory stock. It offers a bit of rumble heard when standing near the rear of the car but that noise doesn't get transferred inside.

Here's a link regarding mufflers you may find informative.

John F.

When I left my 30's I swore I would never do 4 things, mufflers, shocks/struts, Rack and Pinions, and gas tanks. In my 50's I did three of them [struts, Rack and Pinion, and muffler].

Maybe the Reatta is the fountain of youth?

However I am no longer doing any of the afore mentioned items anymore, so I guess that makes me old again...

You might be right about that fountain of youth, I'm pushing 70, if I'm not under the car I'm under the hood, or maybe I just don't know when to quit.

Yeah John , I think I'll go with the quiet muffler, peace and quiet in my old age.

A suggestion on the muffler and pipes. Give the muffler and pipes a coat of high temp aluminum paint before you have them installed. Helps keep them looking nice and slows corrision. When I had my Reatta exhaust system replaced, the muffler shop did the painting for me-I provided the paint. This idea was suggested to me decades ago when I replaced the system on my '62 Skylark (still on and looking decent). I know that most often the exhaust system rusts from the inside out, but on cars that aren't driven much and/or stored on concrete, they will and do rust from the outside in.

Tom

post-96315-143142613451_thumb.jpg

Guest Corvanti

agree with "buickguy62"!!!

i used a rattle can of "M.R.O. Chrome Galvanize Coating" i picked up at a auto paint store - not a flaps. i sprayed it on my "old" muffler and back tailpipes over 2 years ago, and all still looks fine!:)

Here comes an opposite approach.......I sprayed my pipes and muffler with Rust-Oleum "Painters touch" semi-gloss BLACK.

It gives the rear view of the car a very clean look as the pipes and muffler virtually disappear. I know it sounds weird, but it actually looks pretty cool.

Bob

Guest Corvanti
Here comes an opposite approach.......I sprayed my pipes and muffler with Rust-Oleum "Painters touch" semi-gloss BLACK.It gives the rear view of the car a very clean look as the pipes and muffler virtually disappear. I know it sounds weird, but it actually looks pretty cool.

Bob

i can "see" that.:cool:

i might try it if i need to do the paint again. i'd want to make sure the paint was "high temp" - maybe a semi-gloss or satin engine paint.:)

I think the life of the muffler depends on the area where you live. Salt (or lack there of) makes a big difference. Salt is hardly used here at all. Seldom does a factory muffler go bad. I'm pretty sure my '88 Reatta muffler is original. My '99 Blazer is original. Both still look excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

It is my understanding the original systems were stainless. Could not agree more. Always worth the money to go stainless.

Good to see another DFW Texan on the forum. I own an 88 red I've been rebuilding since 2010. I get so many comments on this car my wife say's we will never sell it.

I was thinking about a Walker Turbo 17739 for my 89. I missed the boat on a 18240 on ebay, but I think the 17739 will work, correct me if I'm wrong, it's a camaro muffler . I'll have to use some adapters, but that's not a problem. The site says it is not compatible for the 89, but I believe it will work, any opinions. Thanks

Guest PontiacDude210

I'm using a camaro muffler on my 90 without trouble, I actually like it quite a bit. It's much more versatile also as far as outlet configuration.

I'm using a camaro muffler on my 90 without trouble, I actually like it quite a bit. It's much more versatile also as far as outlet configuration.

I think I'll go with the 17739, but I think I will call the factory rep to make sure I can use the inlet as an outlet and vice versa. From what I've read from previous posts , most aftermarket muffler companies make then that way .

Mike

It might take me a couple of weeks to get it done, but I'll let you know in the near future.

Mike

I call the factory rep on the Walker 17739 and he told me you could not use that muffler for the Reatta configuration . So I'm looking at the Magnaflow M 6612266, the brochure says that it is a universal muffler and will work on the 89 Reatta configuration. I going to call them to make sure, but it looks like this one might work. Just wanted to pass this along.

Mike

Just searched Rockauto of the Walker muffler numbers.... 18240 (which Mike said cannot be used) is 31.89 the 17739 turbo is 67.79 the listing also has the muffler dimensions.

Rockauto apparently does not carry Magnaflow products.

Guest PontiacDude210

I forgot, I had some amount of fabrication done to fit the camaro muffler on my 90 Reatta. My exhaust was pretty much trashed from the manifold back, so my uncle custom bent a pipe for me and made brackets, that's how I fit the dual outlet camaro muffler under there.

Here are some possibilities...... all these were listed with 2.5 in IN and OUT

Thrush Turbo # 17654

Cherry Bomb # 87756

Magnaflow only has stainless but several that might work #14801, #12138, #12158 (14 in body), #12268 (18 in body) #12265 is listed for Camaro.

I'm currently in contact with a muffler/exhaust supplier that says they have a resource that has several NOS mufflers that fit our Reattas.

They are not Buick parts but are built to the same specs and are reportedly "quiet". Once I nail down the specifics Ill post the info.

I'll be honest though, I'm afraid to say too much because someone out there may buy up the remaining stock and put them on Ebay or just jack up the price to triple what they cost new and sell them outright.

John F.