1956 Savoy VIN????

Guest CaptRon

Guest CaptRon

Hey Folks, new to the forum. I just picked up a 1956 Savoy. Tried to do a VIN search but not sure if I'm using the correct numbers on this car. The images below are of the body number and vehicle number. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

post-101752-143142609998_thumb.jpg

post-101752-143142609996_thumb.jpg

Your '56 is near the end of the line for the old fashioned serial number style identification. In '58 they started using sort of a proto-VIN serial number and in '59 they had a real (though not modern style) VIN. See http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin on my web site.

That page has a serial number lookup/VIN decode tool. For your "vehicle no" (serial number) it returns:

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TH=align: right]Serial Number[/TH]

[TD]22319490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Found in range[/TH]

[TD]22247001 to 22325907[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Serial[/TH]

[TD]72490 of 78907[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Year[/TH]

[TD]1956[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Make[/TH]

[TD]Plymouth[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Model Name[/TH]

[TD]Plaza & Taxi, Savoy or Belvedere & Fury 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Model Code[/TH]

[TD]P29-1, P29-2 or P29-3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Plant[/TH]

[TD]Evansville[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Engine[/TH]

[TD]OHV V8 (277 cu. in std., 270 cu. in. optional for Plaza and Savoy, 277 cu. in. for Belvedere, 303 cu. in. for Fury.)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Wheelbase[/TH]

[TD]115 inches[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

All this is based on the fact that serial numbers were assigned by assembly plant and the engineering code for the vehicle. For the exact details, you can send you vehicle number and some money to the Chrysler Historical Collection and get a copy of the "build card", see: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

Guest CaptRon
Your '56 is near the end of the line for the old fashioned serial number style identification. In '58 they started using sort of a proto-VIN serial number and in '59 they had a real (though not modern style) VIN. See http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin on my web site.

That page has a serial number lookup/VIN decode tool. For your "vehicle no" (serial number) it returns:

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TH=align: right]Serial Number[/TH]

[TD]22319490[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Found in range[/TH]

[TD]22247001 to 22325907[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Serial[/TH]

[TD]72490 of 78907[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Year[/TH]

[TD]1956[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Make[/TH]

[TD]Plymouth[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Model Name[/TH]

[TD]Plaza & Taxi, Savoy or Belvedere & Fury 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Model Code[/TH]

[TD]P29-1, P29-2 or P29-3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Plant[/TH]

[TD]Evansville[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Engine[/TH]

[TD]OHV V8 (277 cu. in std., 270 cu. in. optional for Plaza and Savoy, 277 cu. in. for Belvedere, 303 cu. in. for Fury.)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=align: right]Wheelbase[/TH]

[TD]115 inches[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

All this is based on the fact that serial numbers were assigned by assembly plant and the engineering code for the vehicle. For the exact details, you can send you vehicle number and some money to the Chrysler Historical Collection and get a copy of the "build card", see: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

Thx!

This leads to my next questions. The Car belonged to an old friend/fellow employee. It has sat for at least 30 yrs, probably longer. The license plate on it was from 1972. The owner and his wife passed away about one month apart leaving the estate to their daughters. They cannot find the title to the car. I tried using the vehicle number to see who's name it was in via publicdata.com but it came up with nothing. Would my state agency be able to see the ownership specifics on this car being so long since registration and being the VIN isn't your everyday run of the mill VIN?

How tough is it going to be to get a title for this puppy?

Back in that era some states used the engine number for registration purposes rather than the car's serial number. I don't know where the serial number on your V8 is as I am more familiar with the "flathead" 6 engines.

I don't know what state your are in and the regulations and procedures for dealing with lost registration/titles vary from state to state. From your point of view (i.e. the buyer) it would a lot easier if the daughters got the paperwork in order with the state and then a regular transfer/sale to you.

Guest CaptRon
Back in that era some states used the engine number for registration purposes rather than the car's serial number. I don't know where the serial number on your V8 is as I am more familiar with the "flathead" 6 engines.

I don't know what state your are in and the regulations and procedures for dealing with lost registration/titles vary from state to state. From your point of view (i.e. the buyer) it would a lot easier if the daughters got the paperwork in order with the state and then a regular transfer/sale to you.

In TX.

Called the DMV they said my best bet is a bonded title. Send them everything that I have that shows proof of purchase and they'd run it through. Gave them all the numbers that I had and nothing showed up on their database.