Texas Road Warriors: Portland, is it really Beervana?

old-tank

Use the forum search feature to find some of our previous (mis)adventures. Although it is nearly 10 days before we will leaving and driving the blue/white 55, this should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way west of Texas. Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

The plan(?) is to leave 19July, drive 400-500 miles a day, do some touristy stuff and hopefully find a town with a brewery at the end of the day.

Willie

I find it handy to keep gin and tonic water in the trunk on a road trip. No matter where you land at the end of the day, the bar is open... and cheaper than what the locals will charge you.

Safe drive, I leave on the Monday heading north from SoCal

I am beginning to pack the wagon this weekend. It seems to be running great. I decided to pull the carpet and insulate the snot out of the floor, since we are taking a route through west Texas, New Mexico (on the way up) and Arizona (on the way back). I was able to score some Daytona Weave from Rock Auto for under $300 shipped!!!

I made up for the savings by spending it on new upholstery. I opted for customization with modern materials over the Indian blanket I had been sitting on since I bought it.

null_zps6f768d1c.jpg

Might need that "Indian" blanket later on . . . it gave the wagon such "patina". What kind of insulation??? Just curious.

Y'all have a safe and enjoyable trip up there! Try not to drive up the fuel prices from "lack of product" after y'all have been through towns.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest wildcat465
I opted for customization with modern materials over the Indian blanket I had been sitting on since I bought it.

That looks pretty cool. But, I do have to say, I did like riding on that indian blanket (can we say that?).

Looking forward to seeing it in person. The heck with brewpubs, I am ready for the parking lot shenanigans!

Gin and tonic will work too, since gin like beer has origins as a peasant's drink and the tonic gives credibility to our excuse: "for medicinal purposes only" :D

Four more days fto the official start, but everyday I find an excuse to make a run 'just to check something out'. Yesterday it was to see how the a/c would perform on a 100* day. Somebody tell me to park it before I wear it out before I leave.:rolleyes:

Willie

That looks pretty cool. But, I do have to say, I did like riding on that indian blanket (can we say that?).

Looking forward to seeing it in person. The heck with brewpubs, I am ready for the parking lot shenanigans!

+1 on the after hours parking lot happy hour. 2nd best reason to be at the meet.

Although I'm not driving a Buick (I can hear the sneers already), I, too, will be leaving on Saturday July 19 to head that way. Taking our time in Idaho and Utah, then coming back through Montana, Yellowstone, and Colorado. Should be a fun trip. If I see any old Buicks on the road I will be sure and say 'Hi.' Everyone be safe.

Mike, Pat and Pat registered and are bringing their Great American Race car, so you will be seeing them again. They are looking forward to seeing you, too. That's a big part of the Buick Nationals, reuniting with Buick friends.

Roy,

I have already talked with the Pats.

I am heading through Yellowstone on the way back as well as the Grand Canyon.

The Woodster might want to jump in your car since the AC will be more comfy. Maybe he can talk with your son about baseball and Minecraft.

:)

Guest wildcat465
BTW, the Oregon Brewers Fest is in Porland next Wewd - Sunday. Over 100 craft beer brewers will be there.

More info at http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

Dayum.

Not within stumbling distance from hotel.

We may have to look into renting a bus.

Get well Mikey, we got some catching up to do.