Convertible top rear release cable

I'm working on a customer's 1990 Reatta Convertible (doing a 3800 Series 3 Supercharged swap and fixing other misc issues).

The rear of the convertible top locks into the tonneau panel at two latches and those locks get released by pulling on a cable. There are actually 3 cables to this system, two short (that connect to each convertible top release latch) and then a longer one that runs down to the compartment behind the driver's seat. It is this longer/master cable that I need.

I believe this is a late production 1990 Reatta because it does not appear to have any electric pull-down device for the tonneau or trunk as explained in the wiring diagrams that early 1990 production cars may have had. I don't know if that makes a difference concerning this cable or not but I thought it was worth mentioning.

In any case, even if you don't have a cable to sell but know where I can get one, the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

While I have never tried it, it is said that a good bicycle or motorcycle shop can make custom cables to replace your bad one. In a city the size of FW you should be able to find someone to reproduce the cable.

Finding an actual factory part will be difficult.

Welcome Ryan!

We have heard of your work on this forum before, primarily your work with proms and/or chips that allow Reatta's to use higher performance engines while keeping existing gauges, transmissions and so forth!

Ol' yeller mentioned Jim Finn might have one . . . Jim is one of the most knowledgeable parts suppliers that serves the Reatta owner and he maintains a good supply of parts cars. His preferred method of contact is email, and he can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

On the top of our main page http://forums.aaca.org/f116/ there is a Sticky entitled "Reatta Resources". You might want to visit this page as it does list some other parts suppliers as well as some outfit called www.gmtuners.com who apparently offers help with engine swaps:o haha

Another suggestion mentioned above by Barney is probably a good one. If you want to follow-up on this idea but you're cable is broken or missing, I have a '91 vert and I'm willing to take measurements and/or "lend" you mine to have a cable manufactured.

Good luck on your Reatta project! Hopefully the owner you're working for will allow you to post a summary of the engine swap.

...I believe this is a late production 1990 Reatta because it does not appear to have any electric pull-down device for the tonneau or trunk as explained in the wiring diagrams that early 1990 production cars may have had. I don't know if that makes a difference concerning this cable or not but I thought it was worth mentioning....

Despite some preliminary 1990 documentation, the power pulldowns did not make it to production until the 1991 models.

Welcome Ryan!

We have heard of your work on this forum before, primarily your work with proms and/or chips that allow Reatta's to use higher performance engines while keeping existing gauges, transmissions and so forth!

Good luck on your Reatta project! Hopefully the owner you're working for will allow you to post a summary of the engine swap.

I don't think the owner of this Reatta is going to have a problem with me posting some pictures of the swap I did for him, but I'll have to wait to do that until I am done with his car. Unfortunately, the deeper I dig into his car (checking roadworthiness and functionality), the more stuff I'm finding wrong...

In any case, I need to completely finish this project before I will be able to start a new thread on here detailing the swap I just completed (with pictures). But I will make it a point to do that so everyone can see what was done and how it turned out.

Thanks for the resources all provided in this thread and via PMs. I'm pursuing those now and communicating possible leads and solutions with the customer to see what he wants to do.

I saw one of these cables for sale on e bay from reattapartscalifornia

eBay item number:

I have personally purchased Reatta parts from this seller

and have always been very please with my purchases.

Steve has a wide selection of Reatta parts and very hard to find

Reatta Convertible parts.