Looking for late 1920's Franklin Test Drive/Ride

Guest Lee Cramp

Guest Lee Cramp

Hi Franlin Lovers. I have always admired your drive not trailer attitude and your resistance to restoring a car that is not in need of it. My Antique Bicycle Club ( The Wheelmen ) has had the same attitude since the beginning of the club.

So not for me but for my good friend Frank Duval and his lovley Antique Gear Head Daughter Ashley.

Ashley is interested in obtaining and driving a 1920's era Franklin. But she would like to check one out close, get a ride and possibly drive one. She fixed up a 1965 Corvair to Drive to College and still drive it in her after Grad School career.

Frank is near Fredricksburg, Va. and Ashley is Working/living in Northern , Va.

Frank and Ashley are also members of AACA.

Thought I would give this a shot as the Franklin People have always seemed welcoming. -- Lee

Hi Franlin Lovers. I have always admired your drive not trailer attitude and your resistance to restoring a car that is not in need of it.. . . . .

Ashley is interested in obtaining and driving a 1920's era Franklin. But she would like to check one out close, get a ride and possibly drive one. . . . . .

Thought I would give this a shot as the Franklin People have always seemed welcoming. -- Lee

The very best way for anyone to experience a number of different Franklins, whether you are already a Franklin owner or contemplating becoming one, is to attend the Franklin Trek in Cazenovia, New York. Cazenovia is just southwest of Syracuse, so not an unreasonable drive from northern Virginia.

The Trek runs the entire week of August 2nd through 9th this year. Best times to come are probably Sunday the 3rd through Friday the 8th. Saturday the 2nd is arrival, and 9th everyone is packed up to head home.

The Trek is only 3 weeks away, but if you contact the Registrars you can inquire about room availability, especially if you are a first timer and interested in getting a car eventually. There's always a poster board with cars currently for sale, too. We stay right at Cazenovia College and the cost is reasonable for a multi-day package relative to other old car events. I do recommend that anyone new stay for three or four days to get to know people and cars. We are a particularly friendly bunch and always give rides to anyone who wants to jump in, but like anything to do with humans it always take a little time to break the ice and let people get to know you. So stay for a while and have fun.

Contact Susan at

TrekRegistrar@franklincar.org

You can text or call at 781-526-5591

Hope to see you there

--Scott

Guest Lee Cramp

Hey Scott, Thanks for that reply. I have thought of going to a Trek myself. You are right, it might be a good way for Frank and his daughter Ashley to get aquainted with them.

Since both Frank and Ashley have Corvairs, would it be appropriate to tag along in an another air cool vehicle? We Corvair owners love to drive distances in ours also.

Thanks -- Lee

Scott is absolutely right.If you go you have to stay a while.Just about anyone will take you for a ride but only a few will let you drive thier car.Certainly understandable.But you can come to my house in NJ anytime and drive my 1929 model 130 4 door.I do not see why you could not bring your Corvair but I do not think you would be allowed to park on the "green".You would have to ask the people in charge.You can PM me anytime.My car is far from perfect but I drive it all the time.Taking it to a car show tomorrow night.I am about 31/2 hours away. Jim

Any air cooled car at the Franklin Trek is a welcome sight. Even vintage non-air cooled cars are appreciated.

"The Green" at the college where the Franklins park is rather small. As such, parking there is for the Franklins unless your car is really tiny, like a 110+ year old horseless carriage or an early motorcycle. But it's generally respected that since the Club is for "Franklins and Franklin-era air cooled vehicles", we reserve the prime parking for them. And that includes such notable non-Franklins as the Holmes, the Fox, and others of particular interest.

That said, there's parking around the perimeter of "The Green", there's a parking lot a short block away where lots of people park their trucks and trailers. . . . Bottom line is, yes, please drive the Corvair. And I'm sure that many people will let you drive their Franklins.

--Scott