pcv valve

bob duffer

Bob,

I see you got partial answers on another site. They are correct.

It's been a while since I had a stock setup in my 'bird, but if that is from a T bird supplier, the aircleaner will no doubt clear the hood after the spacer is installed.

i never had more than a minor adjustment on the idle screws if the PCV valve was proper for the engine displacement.

The only problem I ever had was on a high rpm motor with a high volume oil pump, also supercharged. Enough oil spayed off the distributor gear that I had to add a baffle under the valley pan below the grommet. On a stock motor, no problem, but if you have the resources to do a little welding it would be insurance.

As to the oil fill cap. The original will work fine. When you pull it and turn it over, it should have holes, and be filled with metal mesh. Cleaning and oiling it lets the mesh act as as air filter. Under part throttle operation, low blow by, it supplies clean air to the crankcase as the PCV pulls the oil mist into the intake. Same function as the draft tube, but it works all the time, not just over 25mph or so. And doesn't put the oil under the car.

if you look on ebay, you may find filler caps with a nipple, or short tube coming out the side. They are closed on the bottom. You run a hose from there to the aircleaner. This is a closed system, and the fumes at WOT go to the aircleaner. The last of the production cars with carbs used this system. I think CA required a retrofit on early cars. If you have a stock aircleaner, this isn't a good option.

Best thing you can do for you and the motor, especially when you have to crawl under it.

Bob,

Miker has covered the topic quite well, so I will just add my personal experience. My car came from California originally and it had the closed system with non standard hoses going from the PCV valve to a connector on the back of the intake manifold and another going from the oil filler cap to the top of the air cleaner. I kept the PCV valve and ditched the oil filler cap to air cleaner hose and went back to stock. I had a number of non standard parts in the vacuum lines under the hood that I have since replaced with the stock units. I can't tell what the difference would be if my car had the road draft tube, but I think using the PCV valve gives you a cleaner engine. I see no downside to doing it and you keep the environmentalists happy.

Regards,

Lew