1955/56 Buick Convertible

JohnnyKO

Hello All,

I've been following this forum (stalking, as it were) for a while now and am hoping to leverage some experience and expertise. I'm interested in starting my own collection with a '55 or '56 Buick Convertible. I've looked at several, including Hemmings listings, eBay, Craigslist, and some posted in this forum.

I've been using Hagerty.com vaulations as my guide to condition, and am looking for something in the "Condition 2 1/2" range. Not a show car, but one that's been 'done', perhaps an older restoration, that I can maintain, take care of, and enjoy with my wife/kids on sunny days up here in Michigan.

I'd appreciate any friendly advice, leads, warnings, and/or comments about available vehicles that would fit this bill.

I'm also posting this in the Pontiac forum (with appropriate edits), as a '55 or '56 Star Chief convertible could also work (although I am a little partial to the Buick styling of that era).

Thanks in advance.

John

Hello All,

I've been following this forum (stalking, as it were) for a while now and am hoping to leverage some experience and expertise. I'm interested in starting my own collection with a '55 or '56 Buick Convertible. I've looked at several, including Hemmings listings, eBay, Craigslist, and some posted in this forum.

I've been using Hagerty.com vaulations as my guide to condition, and am looking for something in the "Condition 2 1/2" range. Not a show car, but one that's been 'done', perhaps an older restoration, that I can maintain, take care of, and enjoy with my wife/kids on sunny days up here in Michigan.

I'd appreciate any friendly advice, leads, warnings, and/or comments about available vehicles that would fit this bill.

I'm also posting this in the Pontiac forum (with appropriate edits), as a '55 or '56 Star Chief convertible could also work (although I am a little partial to the Buick styling of that era).

Thanks in advance.

John

Hi John, welcome, where are you located in Michigan?

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

John

You've been looking at Hemmings, so you know that's going to be an expensive car. Are you prepared for that?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies...

@parkertom - looked at the link, it sounds like this one needs more work than I'm prepared to do (pictures might help)

@JohnD1956 - yes, understand that I'm looking at between $35-40K for something that's just about turnkey.

I've looked at the following:

http://www.macleanclassics.com/1956_buick_convertible.htm - personally looked at this one, it's nice but needs lots, maybe Hagerty "Condition 4"

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1066952 - this one looks really nice, a little expensive for me (probably)

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1066948 - While not a Buick - I drove it around a parking lot. Very nice, but again, probably expensive

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/pontiac/starchief/1658277.html - again not a Buick, but spoke to the seller, seems all it needs is paint, very original...

The search continues...

Thanks,

John

Hi Eric,

Yes, saw that one as well, and exchanged e-mails with the dealer. Hard to know whether it's worth the money without more pictures (and then a drive to see it/drive it in person).

Am I being unreasonable with my expectations, or is just a matter of time until the right one comes along?

Edited by JohnnyKO (see edit history)

Hi Eric,

Yes, saw that one as well, and exchanged e-mails with the dealer. Hard to know whether it's worth the money without more pictures (and then a drive to see it/drive it in person).

Am I being unreasonable with my expectations, or is just a matter of time until the right one comes along?

Good rule of thumb to anything related to classic cars-

High qualty, done quickly, affordable. You can only can only pick two. :)

You are seeking a nearly perfect car for under half it's value. So that's a pretty tall order. That 56 looks very nice.

I totally agree with 1mortician(Eric) ;)

The wife and I was thinking along the same lines as you John:confused::confused:

Not a show car, but one that's been 'done', perhaps an older restoration, that I can maintain, take care of, and enjoy with my wife/kids on sunny days up here in Michigan.

Except we are in Australia and wanted a 1957 coupe :cool:

We have bought a 57 with everything original ;) but it was 50% over our original budget :(

My opinion is buy the vehicle you know is RIGHT !!!! NOT the one that fits the budget as it might well turn out a bucket SHIZZEN:mad:

Matt

so, perhaps something in the $45-$50K range then. I'm with you, Aziz, an older restoration would be fine. I can certainly maintain, but I'm not in a position to re-build.

Thanks all for your replies, the search continues...might go see this one next week. Probably out of my range, but I'm sure it'll look nice...

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1066952

Hi MrEarl,

I'm thinking about going to see that, and a $60-80K '55 Star Chief that the same collector is putting in the auction (along with probably another 8-10 cars). I drove the Star Chief recently, I wouldn't put it in that price range, but then auctions are funny things. If nothing else, I'll have the experience of going to one of these auction (never been to one), get to see all the high end cars, and maybe, just maybe, those two won't make the minimum bid.

Yes, I did see the Century for $80K, beautiful car and likely several thousand hours of time put into the restoration. From some the pictures I looked at, it's probably better than new. However, at $80K, out of my league...

John

so, perhaps something in the $45-$50K range then. I'm with you, Aziz, an older restoration would be fine. I can certainly maintain, but I'm not in a position to re-build.

Thanks all for your replies, the search continues...might go see this one next week. Probably out of my range, but I'm sure it'll look nice...

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1066952

i really think that Super could be haggled down to your range.

I gave up on those "trader cars" at auctions, dealers, craigslist, hemmings, etc. Most of those are detailed for sale, but have many issues to make them safe and dependable to drive. Count on 1-7K to get them to that point. If interested in showing, virtually all of them are incorrect and that is another 5-10K. Anything you buy from members on these forums would probably come with support, history, idiosyncrasies...the down side is that they would want visitation privileges. MrEarl will tell you to always find and buy the best example you can find.Silver

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies and advice. The 'RMAuction' '55 Super convertible sold for $52,500, $57,500 with the buyer's premium this past weekend. It was a beauty...former AACA Senior winner in '88, same owner for about the same amount of time. Well loved, cared for, etc... would have been great.

I need to save up a little more, or lower my expectations.

The search continues...

John

Guest 54fins

I happen to have a 1955 star chief. It was frame off restored and the owner bailed, just needs paint and interior

I can sell it as is for 30K and could probably go 40K with nice paint and interior.

If interested 54fins@gmail.com

Most 50's convertibles are restored and at least 50K, or a basket case that will require 50K on top of what you pay for it. More often than not the nicely restored car is less than what you can build it for. I snag them fast if they have a solid body and are cheap enough (like the 55 star chief) I personally prefer the Buick (more unique) but the Pontiac has a much better aftermarket as tri-5 stuff can interchange. Unless you have your own shop, the Buick can be a tough car to restore.

post-74392-143142649431_thumb.jpg

post-74392-143142649461_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies and advice. The 'RMAuction' '55 Super convertible sold for $52,500, $57,500 with the buyer's premium this past weekend. It was a beauty...former AACA Senior winner in '88, same owner for about the same amount of time. Well loved, cared for, etc... would have been great.

I need to save up a little more, or lower my expectations.

The search continues...

John

Have a look at the RM site and I think you will find the cars a Special ( small motor ), very nice but not worth the same $'s as a Century, Super or Roadmaster convertible of the same era.

That red hot Century convertible of Old Tanks really looks to be priced right.

Hi all...Sadly I didn't get to see the car before the ad was deleted...the search continues...

Well JohnnyKO, there's only the quick and the dead when it comes to bargains like this. This is the email I received from a friend ( and fellow Buick enthusiast )

$8,000 USD

Have good friends 8miles from the car.

Just in the floor and trunk and that is it.

<style><!-- .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P { padding:0px; } .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size:12pt; font-family:Calibri; } --></style>

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/4598643613.html

I was sceptical of the price quoted and received this response from my friend when I asked for more detail and where the stated price had come from. The sentence JUST IN THE FLOOR AND TRUNK AND THAT IS IT related to some rust.

Stuart,

Friends of mine in Minneapolis rang the 84 year old owner.

As I stated below they live 8 miles away.

Yes cheap for that car.

Jeff

Subject: Re: 1955 Buick Roadmaster Conv

Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 08:37:29 +0800

<style><!-- .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P { padding:0px; } .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size:12pt; font-family:Calibri; } --></style>I can’t see any price on it.

If it’s $8000 its the cheapest convertible I’ve ever seen.

The ad didn't last long although long enough for a few on this forum to make inquiries, maybe someone did get the bargain of a lifetime. If it did sell for $8000 it was probably $20,000 off what it should have realised.

It really is a pain living on the other side of the world sometimes!!

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Wow, that's a beauty! He might be testing the waters, I can always put in a bid to see what happens. Based on the Special I saw go at auction a few weeks ago, I'd say this is worth a lot. we shall see how high it goes.

Thanks Mr. Earl for sharing this one.

John

p.s. looking at the pictures at Hemmings, it seems odd to me that a 'frame off' restoration, being one where people are real careful to make sure everything is right, they paint right over the cowl tag? To me this is not an original color...

p.s. looking at the pictures at Hemmings, it seems odd to me that a 'frame off' restoration, being one where people are real careful to make sure everything is right, they paint right over the cowl tag? To me this is not an original color...

What's the matter with painting over the cowl tag. All my original condition cars have painted plates. Some were painted, some weren't. :)

post-31987-143142661203_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14314266118_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143142661184_thumb.jpg

Thanks Aziz, I did have a look at that one, but not a big fan of that color combination...

Big fan or not it was all about the condition;) of the vehicle for me as its only paint and that can be changed at a later date !!!!!!

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm also looking for a 55/56 convertible. See you looked at the 56 at macleans. Does it need a lot of work? I live in Norway, so would appreciate your opinion of that car. Looks quite ok, and price is ok too. I have to pay 25% tax of total cost to get Norwegian plates on any car imported.. Oddgeir

Guest Bonspeed454

Howdy there I hope your search is going great, if you find a rough project I have 2 55 Buick 4 doors that have tons of great parts for your project!! I would like to get these cars gone! If you email me i can send u pictures of the cars, I hope I can be of great help for you! Hubbardryan99@yahoo.com