MYSTERY "P" TAIL_LIGHT

Guest mikeburch

Guest mikeburch

I have this mystery Tail-Light, which has a "P" on the inside, that is the only mark.

It was all chrome plated, including the license plate bracket, so it must be off of a nice car.

The backing plate is included, too.

The tail-light bucket is toast, but I know that worse have been restored.

Has anyone seen that logo ? It could only be the tail-light maker's logo.

Thank you,

mikeburch

post-61922-143142603554_thumb.jpg

post-61922-143142603563_thumb.jpg

post-61922-143142603566_thumb.jpg

post-61922-143142603572_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeburch (see edit history)

The" P "is probably the casting plant's mark. The light itself would often be supplied by a lighting manufacturer. The mounting {the part with the "p"} would usually be drawn up by the vehicle manufacturer and sub contracted to a casting company who would generally produce the tooling and ultimately the finished part. The plating might be done by the casting co., the Vehicle manufacturer, or an outside plating contractor The light might be exclusive to a certain make, model, and year or it may have been sold to other customers as well and appear on different vehicles all together. The mounting will be specific to the vehicle it was designed for as it must couple a specific light with a specific fender. Unless a person does very in depth research most casting and forging marks don't help with a part I.D.

Greg in Canada

Guest mikeburch

Greg .........................

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking the same thing, as I do not know of a car with that logo.

I'm hoping that someone will recognize the bracket, or be familiar with the part number.

Thank you,

mikeburch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest SirShiftsalot

Looks like it's about From the Thirties or Late Forties. Some cars had these into the Fifties, so it's quite a broad spectrum we're looking at here

One possiblity is 1934 Hudson 8.

1. Pictured is an expired ebay image advertised as a 34 Hudson Terraplane tail light base, although it lacks the notch for a Lic. plate mount.

2. The Chilton parts book does not have a separate listing for tail light base but lists"rear Light" as p/n#108087

post-44716-143142732906_thumb.jpg

post-44716-143142732906_thumb.jpg

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)

Guest mikeburch

keiser31, drwatson and Commodore .........................

I believe that you guys figured it out. 1934 Terraplane it is !

The one that drwatson pictured, must be for the passenger side.

You can, also, see the chrome plated license plate bracket in the photos.

I offered this for sale, in the Hudson Section for $45.00. I would like for this to get, "on the road again".

Do you know of anyone, who needs this ?

Thank you,

mikeburch

Edited by mikeburch (see edit history)