GM Windshield Washer Jar

gegrunt

Can anybody tell me what the original application is for this General Motors washer jar? My friend George had installed it on his 1950 Chevy which he purchased new but this does not look like any other washers I have seen in Chevy cars. He had put a button on the radio delete place to activate it.

post-68676-143142602905_thumb.jpg

post-68676-14314260291_thumb.jpg

I think it is very rare to find the printed bottle. Most newer ones used clear glass. It seems to be much older than 1950. Check out this e bay listing for reference http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-38-39-VINTAGE-GM-CHEVROLET-TRICO-WINDSHIELD-WASHER-BOTTLE-BUICK-PONTIAC-/121376589536?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c429bc6e0&vxp=mtr

The jar & washer pump are both prewar. The deign of the pump was changed a bit postwar. The 1941 Cadillac used a strapped-on square shaped bottle. The 1941 Buick used the same prewar pump design, bur with a screw-on bottle. I am not sure about other GM car applications. The sqaue bottle with was offered by Trico as a replacement postwar, but without the logo. The washer is a rare one because of the prewar pump design and with a GM logo bottle.

Grandpa

For Chevrolet, the windshield washer was optional. As I recall, washers for Chevrolet first appeared in the list of available accessories for the 1940 model year. Trico did offer the washer as a retrofit to cars built from 1938. I suspect that most 1941 Cadillacs had windshield washers. For 1941 Buick, which used the round bottle, the washers were standard equipment only on the top of the line Limited model.

Grandpa

post-52807-143142613938_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143142613945_thumb.jpg