Valley pan gasket

bob duffer

My valley pan gasket is leaking in the rear so i'm going to replace it. I have to put new intake gaskets on in the process.

Do the new type intake manifold gaskets with the small hole in the center, to prevent burning of manifold, mess with the engine or should i just keep the

regular ones on there?

The valley pan gasket is problematic. Some go so far as to drill and tap 6 or 8-32 screws around the perimeter, to hold the gasket. I've been ok by using a good sealer on the pan, and letting it set up before installing it. And don't over tighten the center hold downs. I think its a lot like a pan gasket, if it's over tightened, slips, etc., it's a problem.

I was told the intake gaskets with the cross over restrictions were originally designed for heavy load applications in truck motors. I always used them, but don't remember if it saved the paint, but I also removed the exhaust valve, so my experience wouldn't be accurate, anyway. I don't drive much in cold weather, and when I do, I let it warm up first.

If it's not a show correct restoration, you might look into a PCV conversion, as the later trucks used. There's plenty of info on several sites (yblocks forever and the ford barn). You can do an open or closed PCV ( the difference is a "breather" oil fill cap, or one hooked to the air cleaner). It's probably the biggest favor you can do for your motor, not to mention the oil dripping from the draft tube, fumes in the garage, and oil under the car.

If you manage to build a y block that never shows a little oil, unless it's out of it, let me know.

Hi Bob,

To add to what miker98038 said, when you pull the valley pan you should first check the bottom with a straight edge to ensure the sides and ends haven't been bent over the years. The one on my car wasn't straight and I had to do a lot of careful straightening to get it back to normal. Also, Prestige Thunderbird has a valley pan gasket that is thicker than the original, which is also helpful in preventing leaks. As miker suggests, getting a pcv kit is also a good idea (all the parts suppliers have them). I would go with the new intake manifold gaskets. There is no good reason not to.

Regards,

Lew

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since I did it this, so my memory is a little hazy. I believe I used channel-lock pliers to bend things back as they are supposed to be, all the while placing each side against a straight edge to be sure I was getting the bends right. If I were doing it now I think I would build a rectangular jig out of wood that matches the size of the valley pan. Make sure the wood is nice and straight. Whatever you build just make sure it is deep enough to hold the divider. With that sort of jig you should be able to see exactly where the valley pan needs to be bent to straighten it out.

Let us know how it works if you do that.

Regards,

Lew