1922 Series 9B Trunnion Throw Out Bearing

busaf4

Has anyone had direct experience with a late series 9 throw out bearing replacement. I believe the bearing is a #209 radial thrust bearing. I could not find the bearing under this name and presume this number is a Franklin specific bearing.

The throw out bearing is totally destroyed. I was going to take it out and have one made up since it appears none are available. Can can the Trunnion thrust bearing be removed without removing the transmission. I have attached a picture of the trunnion and shafts leading to the transmission. It appears that the yokes need to be removed and there is not enough clearance to slide them off even with the flex disks removed

Thank You

Art Lee

post-46250-143142602135_thumb.jpg

post-46250-143142602273_thumb.jpg

Hi Art -

The bearing should be available. Check out a 7209 in an annular contact bearing - I think that one is correct. You might even be able to get this in a sealed bearing. Try your local bearing house.

By removing the flex discs and the center flange spider, you can then remove the clutch cover assembly. I don't beleive you can remove the front shaft without pulling the clutch cover. No need to move the transmission. I'm not sure you could disassemble the throwout collar to access the bearing without pulling the clutch cover anyway.

Let me know if you get stuck....

Tom Rasmussen