1934 PE ??

TomP

Thanks for your input gents, be interesting when I get it home to find out who's gauges they are, someone PM me yesterday saying it looked like 34/35 Buick. The wheels are on PE hubs but I thought they should be steel artillery. What would be the Dodge variant of the PE regarding wheel base, PE is 114".

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Wheels look like later, circa 37 Mopar. Both the 34 PE (114" wheelbase) and the 34 Dodge (117" wheelbase DR, DRXX; 121" DS) had artillery wheels, each with a different pattern. The Plymouth wheels have more of a 'hole' configuration, with the 16" wheel having 10 holes and the 17" wheel having 12 holes. Dodge 34 rims have more of a raised spoke look to them and have a reinforcing piece around the hole for the hubcap. On both, the hubcaps snap into an opening in the wheel. The center section of the wheels is actually made of two parts, an inner and an outer piece, sandwiched together. My experience with the Plymouth wheels is that they are prone to bending and cracking around the bolt holes. 35-36 artillery wheels, at least on the Plymouths, look basically the same with a hubcap on them (although the stripe configuration on the hubcap is slightly different, the 34 stripe being closer to the edge of the cap). The 35-36 rim center is one piece, however, with clips riveted on to hold the caps. See the attached pictures. Attached photos of two 34 Plymouth coupes and a 34 Dodge convertible coupe, showing the artillery wheels.

post-89602-143142785856_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input gents, be interesting when I get it home to find out who's gauges they are, someone PM me yesterday saying it looked like 34/35 Buick. The wheels are on PE hubs but I thought they should be steel artillery. What would be the Dodge variant of the PE regarding wheel base, PE is 114".

Thanks

post-89602-143142785828_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143142785854_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input Scott, can't wait to get it home to find out what it actually is, interesting on the 10 & 12 spoke artilleries my PD was originally purchased with 16" artillery but now has correct 17" wire wheels. Think my PE started out as a 4 door Sedan and had a dump box prior to 1986, hope I can get the serial No. from the frame, time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Received some more photos before it went into the container, perhaps someone can shed light on it's make-up. The belt line looks to remain level with the doors aposed to sweeping upwards as it goes around the back corner but I've not seen one's that's like my photos. In the first pic top L/H does the beaded up-stand behind the 'B' post look familular?

post-72422-14314281008_thumb.jpg

post-72422-143142810069_thumb.jpg

OK, got a better look at the photos you had in your last post--looks like somebody has been doing some serious fooling around with this one. As per my prior response, cab looks like 33-34-early 35 series Dodge truck cab. The top rear corner of truck doors are rounded off and that is what you have, following the rain gutter. All of the 33-34 Dodge cars and even the KCL panel has a squared off corner, so I would seriously doubt that this was converted from a sedan. Particularly with the belt pattern and the bead on the B pillar, pretty sure this is an original Dodge truck cab.

Hood is 34 Plymouth PE, 114" wheelbase, nothing else looks like that. Front fenders also look like 34 PE, they have the skirts on them and they are the longer skirts, so it is not from a short wheelbase PF or PG. In addition, the hood would be way too long otherwise. Those marker lights are not stock but I have seen them on some foreign 34 PEs and there is a guy in the Northeast (of the US) that used to have a couple of 34 convertible coupes with them so who knows. Note that the rear of your hood does not match up with the cowl vent area. That is because the 34 has a much wider cowl vent and cowl vent area than the 33s. Yours is definitely a 33 cowl. Who knows how that dash got in there, I agree with the posts above, looks like mid-30s Buick.

Finally, the running boards look like 34s as they are wider than the 33s. What is interesting is that they look like they fit nicely with the rear fenders, which are clearly truck fenders (which have a 90 degree flange to mount against the bed sides as opposed to holes in the top lip on all of the sedans, coupes, commercial sedans and panels--similar to how the rear fenders attach on your 33 coupe). One might speculate that this is one of the rumored 34 Plymouth pickups that may have been made--there was an article about that in a Plymouth Bulletin from many years ago. If I recall, the conclusion was that they were never made, but who knows. Having played around with these cars since the early 1970s I have concluded that the more you know, the more you realize how little you know. Would be interested in seeing (1)what the front frame and suspension looks like when you get it home and (2) what a close inspection tells you about the dash, i.e., if you stick your head up under there, can you tell if it was grafted in there. Have fun and keep us posted.

Here is a so called 33 Plymouth truck that was on ebay. 33 to 35 1st series cab. I ask for a dash shot with no results.

post-78906-143142811747_thumb.jpg

Look at the cab fire wall. That is a 3/4 ton and up. No mounting tabs on the lower front wall to mount to the frame. No cut out on pass side for steering column. the fire wall is higher. But they did put the brackets on for the rad support rods. I posted pictures below showing a 1 tom Humpback having the same fire wall as the so called Plymouth truck shown above. The other with yellow lines is a 34 i/2 ton.

post-78906-143142811783_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811738_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314281174_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811741_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811743_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811744_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811746_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811749_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811758_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811766_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811774_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Here is a so called 33 Plymouth truck that was on ebay. 33 to 35 1st series cab. I ask for a dash shot with no results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]278811[/ATTACH]

That vehicle number with the “TDS” suffix looks like the body number for a PD two door sedan. No way those doors came off a two door sedan as they are the wrong length.

Responding to an earlier post in this thread: PE and PF had independent front suspension. PG reverted to a beam axle.

I did get a dash shot.

Also this was talked about in Jan and at that time, I really didn't have that much knowledge on the Dodge trucks. The link is below.

[h=3]1933 Plymouth P/U on ebay[/h]Started by countrytravler, January 11th, 2014 14:13paperclip.pngsubscribed.png

• Replies: 17
  • Views: 764

<dl class="threadlastpost td" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 6.28px; padding-bottom: 6.28px; float: left; clear: right; width: 231.274993896484px; height: 34.44px; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(62, 62, 62);"><dd style="margin: 0px 20px; padding: 0px; height: 17.22px; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;">Last Post: January 23rd, 2014 06:11</dd><dd style="margin: 0px 20px; padding: 0px; height: 17.22px; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;">by GK1918 lastpost-right.png</dd></dl>Forum:

Plymouth

post-78906-143142811797_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811792_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142811795_thumb.jpg

​Talking instrument panels my photo in the first post I'm completely bewildered what a Buick style panel would be installed in a Plymouth or Dodge cab, I know on the Plymouth the fascia panel is part of the body construction ie. welded in, so would that be the same on a KC body.

Another thing were both Plymouth and Dodge bodies built in the Briggs Plant?

Thanks for your help Gents.

Hi country traveller, where on the body does that pd number plate get mounted? Or is it a truck specific location? I thought it would be on the door channel on the front passenger. That looks like its mount out in the fire wall or something.

That "pd number plate" is the body number plate for a car and on a car is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. To the best of my knowledge no state used the body number for registration purposes originally.

Chrysler tracked things by the serial number. On cars of that era it was on the right (passenger side) door hinge post. I think on trucks it was on the firewall but I don't know for sure. The serial numbers in that era are a straight numerical sequence number. Different models/years had different ranges of numbers assigned so you can determine what the car/truck is by that number.

Many states used the engine number which is totally different than the above two numbers. Stamped on the engine block above the generator and, depending on make and year, usually also stamped somewhere on the left (driver side) frame rail. The number on the frame rail can be very difficult to find.

Many states used the engine number which is totally different than the above two numbers. Stamped on the engine block above the generator and, depending on make and year, usually also stamped somewhere on the left (driver side) frame rail. The number on the frame rail can be very difficult to find.

​Is the frame No. the same as the serial No. ?

​Is the frame No. the same as the serial No. ?

On my 1933 PD the only number I have found on the frame is the engine number.

I have heard that on later years both the engine number and serial number where stamped on the frame but don't know for sure what years that would apply to.

On my 1933 PD the only number I have found on the frame is the engine number.

I have heard that on later years both the engine number and serial number where stamped on the frame but don't know for sure what years that would apply to.

Yes that clarifies it, I had read somewhere about that but on my PD I could only find part of a number starting PD, it was lucky that POC had it on the roaster from way back that I could get the build card. Here is part of the title from 1986 and as you mentioned above the serial No. is the engine No. with suffix 34, I have contacted Chrysler Historical with this information but not expecting the reply I'm hoping for, unfortunately engines get changed and perhaps tin work as well.

.post-72422-14314281332_thumb.jpg

For the record here is the reply from Chrysler Historical " I show this vehicle as a 1934 Plymouth DeLuxe (6 cylinder) car. The number you provided is actually the engine number and not the serial number, according to our files. Plymouth did built trucks, but the only way to verify this is by ordering the build card. To look up the build card, we would need the serial number, which should be located on the driver’s side door pillar and should be seven digits long. If this is a truck, the serial number should start with an 8. If this is a car, the serial number ranges are attached. " I will just have to be patient. should land around end of month but not sure how long UK customs take to clear.

post-72422-143142815903_thumb.jpg Got to congratulate the service I have received from Chrysler Historical, couldn't be more helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Now waiting for UK customs to clear the documentation and bill me so that the shippers can release, have transport standing by, shouldn't be long now. Chrysler Historical advised me to contact Detroit Public Library and in turn they have forwarded my enquiry to the National Automotive History Collection at the Skillman Library to see if they can shed any light.

Now that it's home I can start to find out what it actually is, over time it's been cut about a bit but most things can be mended.

Can you identify this rear?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]285605[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]285606[/ATTACH]

Late model rear end for sure, see the tube shocks instead of the lever shocks. Looking at the side profile of the cab I again note that there will be a mis-match with the 33-style cowl and the 34 PE long hood. Who knows... . SMB

Hi Scott, the sides of the hood are good, the problem comes with the top, it's about 1 1/2" short at the centre. the rear drums are about 12" dia with the same PCD as the PD, if you look at the photo in post #1 you will notice the large foot pedal so I think its had an auto in the bay at some point. My feelings are that it can be but back to near stock but will never be stock, I paid what I could afford to lose and it does keep my day full.

post-72422-143142875424_thumb.jpg

post-72422-143142875413_thumb.jpg

post-72422-143142875418_thumb.jpg

The box is from a 1936 to 38 Dodge-Plymouth truck.

Thanks for the reply Dave, it's a Plymouth tailgate but on the box the cab end is not reinforced for the wooded side rails to fit into, later I will see if there is a square cut out for the timber upright to fit into.

post-72422-143142875973_thumb.jpg

Front of the P/U box has been cut. That is a 37-38 Ply tailgate. Can you measure the box and get a picture of the dash? Not a Mopar rear end? Haven't seen this type of ebrake on any Mopar that I have worked on. But, some I haven't worked on yet. No automatics for the Mopar till 52?

Front of the P/U box has been cut. That is a 37-38 Ply tailgate. Can you measure the box and get a picture of the dash? Not a Mopar rear end? Haven't seen this type of ebrake on any Mopar that I have worked on. But, some I haven't worked on yet. No automatics for the Mopar till 52?

Dave the box has been cut back to 61" , the screen surround is from my PD about an inch short in height so if I can find a cut-up similar body to put either a KU or PE complete panel from the A posts and vertically from the windshield down. The rear is Mopar but the hand brake parts may have been moved backwards from the trans.

post-72422-143142876698_thumb.jpg

post-72422-143142876681_thumb.jpg

post-72422-143142876685_thumb.jpg

post-72422-14314287669_thumb.jpg

post-72422-143142876694_thumb.jpg