1969 pontiac custom s

Guest MsMayhem83

Guest MsMayhem83

I have a 1969 pontiac custom s. it's a one year only car, it's the soft top sport model. it's a solid car, barely any rust and almost everything on it is original. it runs like a champ. I, however, cannot find much information on how much it is worth. There is a GTO conversion that we can do, and it may be worth more if we do the conversion. I'm really on the fence about what to do. because it is a one year only car. any thoughts or direction on what would be best?

One year production SOMETIMES makes a car worth more than your average GTO. You might want to find out how many were made before you alter it. There are a TON of GTO clones out there....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think cloning it would be a waste of time. It won't be worth any more than stock and all the GTO pieces you need to get will put the whole thing under water. If somebody wants a 69 GTO there are enough to choose from.

• Like 1

I ordered a new 1969 Custom"S", but mine was a 4-door, and was ordered with almost all of the GTO options - that way I had the F-41 suspension, Power Disc Brakes, M-400 tranny (instead of the 2-speed Powerglide or the smaller 3-speed hydro, but especially the Pontiac (not Chevy) 350CI engine which was far superior for hauling our 22ft boat (inboard/outdrive - chevy-engined with a 95 gallon fuel tank) to the Louisiana coast.

There are many original GTOs out there

There are far too many GTO clones out there

Doing it right to make just another clone will likely cost you more than you'll get back, and another good original car will have been lost to (in my opinion) questionable judgement.

It is your car, so do what you want, but if you really want a GTO, get a real GTO - sell the Custom"S" to someone who will appreciate a correct and rare car, and put the bucks into the GTO's repair/maintenance

• Like 2

No great historical value, bottom of the line stripped down tempest with a one year name..do what you want, sorta like a biscayne, or buick special

olds f85 ford v-8 60 big money comes from chrome , paint and big motors

Mssr. Bwatoe,

The Custom"S" was NOT a stripped down Tempest, bottom of the line...

Custom"S" was actually the higher level of Tempest, targeted and priced just below the LeMans, and above the standard Tempest. Custom"S" was also available with Pontiac's bigger motors (as was mine), upgraded transmissions (as was mine), upgraded interiors (as was mine), upgraded suspensions (as was mine) ..... in no way comparable to a stripped-down model or a Ford V-8 60.

Hope this corrects misinformation

First, the Custom S is not the bottom price leader, it is the next trim level (model)-(series 35) above a plane Tempest and after that would be the LeMans. LeMans and GTO have the same trim level except for GTO Judge which has less. Even though you may call it a one year only model because it is called a Custom "S", Pontiac has made a "Tempest Custom" model since 1962! However a 1969 Custom S does have it's own style #'s for the six car in the series including a wagon. You could clone a Custom "S" into a H-O model the only way for anyone to know would be for someone to give your vin # to PHS, and their not going to do this at a show. As far as AACA goes, as long as a H-O was a option on your year and model it's OK. I have seen many AACA cars that did not come with Tri-Power on a AACA car, or three speeds on the column converted to four speeds on the floor and be OK. If you wanted to clone anything and not make it illegal in a judging situation you could make the car a 350 H-O custom "S". All you would have to do was put a set of big valve casting # 48 heads on to go along with dual exhaust and a 4bbl Q Jet Pontiac manifold and carburetor. So for 1969 the only engine options are as follows above the standard 1bbl OHC six cylinder are the Sprint 4bbl OHC six, the 2bbl 265hp 350" engine and the 350 H-O 325, and 330 hp engine. FYI Pontiac 350 engines are not 350's, they are 354.74 "s or rounded to 355 inches. The 400 and 428 engines are NOT available for Tempest, Custom "S" or LeMans for 1969. The 428 is not available on the GTO either. The M-40 Turbo HydraMatic was available on the 2bbl 350 and the 4bbl 350, but this was not the base automatic. The Th 350 was available as well as the ST300.

Contrary to what many people believe especially those commentators on Barrett Jackson, Pontiac NEVER offered a Powerglide. While the ST 300 is a two speed automatic, it is completely different unit and has a variable pitch stator which gives the trans four forward ranges with only two gear changes and is very rugged.

While Custom "S" may seem rare these days, Pontiac made 84,590 "S" cars.

Pontiac offered a HD suspension ( springs/shocks/ ft. sway bar ) for Tempest/LeMans series ( not F-41 ) and it was basically just like GTO. FYI Pontiac would not offer a rear sway bar on it's "A" bodies until 1970....even on a GTO. While some wagons could have them installed all the way back to 1961 in "B" bodies.

I ordered my 1969 LeMans with a 350 H-O and M-40 ( T-400 )..and still have it, click on the link:

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20937/images/p1020752.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

only to add to mr helfen's excellent post, there was only three types of usa built pontiacs that actually had a powerglide transmission, first is the 17,000+ 1953 pontiacs that were built with the chevy cast iron powerglide trans while the new hydra-matic plant was being put together in the fall of 1953. second is the 1961 - 1963 pontiac tempest models that were ordered with the automatic transmission option, pontiac used the chevy corvair type powerglide trans. third, is the 1964 - 1965 pontiac tempest models that were built with the chevy made 215 inline 6 engine, they had the regular chevy powerglide, not the ST300, pontiac built engines used the ST300 trans.

charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

only to add to mr helfen's excellent post, there was only three types of usa built pontiacs that actually had a powerglide transmission, first is the 17,000+ 1953 pontiacs that were built with the chevy cast iron powerglide trans while the new hydra-matic plant was being put together in the fall of 1953. second is the 1961 - 1963 pontiac tempest models that were ordered with the automatic transmission option, pontiac used the chevy corvair type powerglide trans. third, is the 1964 - 1965 pontiac tempest models that were built with the chevy made 215 inline 6 engine, they had the regular chevy powerglide, not the ST300, pontiac built engines used the ST300 trans.

charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Hey Charles how are you? I just want to point out that the 61-63 automatic transaxle is based on the the powereglide many of the internals are different. Also different is the power flow through the trans. Pontiac reworked the transaxle to incorporate the same split torque that the original hydramatic (1940-mid sixties) Pontiac used from 1948-1956, SuperHydramatic 1956-1964, and Roto Hydramatic 1961-1964 all used. I forgot about the 215 engine, but the V-8 cars in 64-65 were St300's. Good observation old buddy-thanks for keeping me on my toes.....or juggling my memory!!!!

Fyi that 215 six is a Pontiac only displacement engine.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

post-32395-143142611906_thumb.jpghi mr. helfen, i'm doing pretty good, i have my '53 chieftain custom catalina's replacement instrumment cluster all assembled with almost all nos parts, i picked up a 1954 pontiac 3.23 rearend today, has all new bearings and seals, i wanted it to replace the 1953 pontiac 3.08 rearend in my car. the 1955 287 strato-streak V8 and matching dual range hydra-matic came out of a 1955 safari wagon with a 3.23 rearend. thanks for asking.

post-32395-143142611835_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142611859_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142611883_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258216[/ATTACH]hi mr. helfen, i'm doing pretty good, i have my '53 chieftain custom catalina's replacement instrumment cluster all assembled with almost all nos parts, i picked up a 1954 pontiac 3.23 rearend today, has all new bearings and seals, i wanted it to replace the 1953 pontiac 3.08 rearend in my car. the 1955 287 strato-streak V8 and matching dual range hydra-matic came out of a 1955 safari wagon with a 3.23 rearend. thanks for asking.

You know I gave you a hard time about that car, but after some extensive reading about Pontiac V-8 engine development I get what you are trying to do. That 287 should have been in 53's and 54's all along had it not been for Buick division crying to corporate. Of course we all know that now and the proof is in the chassis/suspension/steering of the 53-54 cars...something I should have noticed all along. Good luck with your 53. I especially like that A/C in dash you installed.

• 1 month later...
Guest BORMAT
First, the Custom S is not the bottom price leader, it is the next trim level (model)-(series 35) above a plane Tempest and after that would be the LeMans. LeMans and GTO have the same trim level except for GTO Judge which has less. Even though you may call it a one year only model because it is called a Custom "S", Pontiac has made a "Tempest Custom" model since 1962! However a 1969 Custom S does have it's own style #'s for the six car in the series including a wagon. You could clone a Custom "S" into a H-O model the only way for anyone to know would be for someone to give your vin # to PHS, and their not going to do this at a show. As far as AACA goes, as long as a H-O was a option on your year and model it's OK. I have seen many AACA cars that did not come with Tri-Power on a AACA car, or three speeds on the column converted to four speeds on the floor and be OK. If you wanted to clone anything and not make it illegal in a judging situation you could make the car a 350 H-O custom "S". All you would have to do was put a set of big valve casting # 48 heads on to go along with dual exhaust and a 4bbl Q Jet Pontiac manifold and carburetor. So for 1969 the only engine options are as follows above the standard 1bbl OHC six cylinder are the Sprint 4bbl OHC six, the 2bbl 265hp 350" engine and the 350 H-O 325, and 330 hp engine. FYI Pontiac 350 engines are not 350's, they are 354.74 "s or rounded to 355 inches. The 400 and 428 engines are NOT available for Tempest, Custom "S" or LeMans for 1969. The 428 is not available on the GTO either. The M-40 Turbo HydraMatic was available on the 2bbl 350 and the 4bbl 350, but this was not the base automatic. The Th 350 was available as well as the ST300.

Contrary to what many people believe especially those commentators on Barrett Jackson, Pontiac NEVER offered a Powerglide. While the ST 300 is a two speed automatic, it is completely different unit and has a variable pitch stator which gives the trans four forward ranges with only two gear changes and is very rugged.

Pontiac offered a HD suspension ( springs/shocks/ ft. sway bar ) for Tempest/LeMans series ( not F-41 ) and it was basically just like GTO. FYI Pontiac would not offer a rear sway bar on it's "A" bodies until 1970....even on a GTO. While some wagons could have them installed all the way back to 1961 in "B" bodies.

I ordered my 1969 LeMans with a 350 H-O and M-40 ( T-400 )..and still have it, click on the link:

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20937/images/p1020752.jpg

Hello,

I found this forum while trying to find what a fully restored Custom S is worth and you seem to know a lot about them.

Here's my questions I hope you don't mind. My best friend is in a serious jam financially and I want to help him. He owns a Custom S and is willing to sell it to get out of his jam. After all the time and money he has put in this car I hate to see this happen. I've already offered to help but he say's he'll not borrow from me. He says he's selling the car.

He has 2yrs of Muscle and Blood and a lot of Money in it. A complete body off restoration, 99% anyway. Everything you can think of has been restored except the ragtop and upholstery and they are in very good original condition. All rubber and ware parts have been replaced throughout , 350 engine, trans and drive train are original and rebuilt professionally. He paid some guy here in Denver an outrageous amount money for the paint job, also original color. Light like turquoise blue, Serial numbers match. All OEM, he would not accept less. It's easily one of the most beautiful cars I've had the pleasure to drive.

He had planned to show it. The car has 400 miles on it since putting it back on the road.

I haven't made him an offer but I am willing to pay a fair price but I think he is thinking 25 to 30. My heart say's pay his price but my head say's pay a fair price. Can you help me with this? I understand his connection to the car but if I have to sell it for some reason, I would like to get my money back on it. I figured that I could hold it for a while and offer it back to him once he's back on track.

Robert_Boykin@comcast.net

Thanks

RB in Denver

Edited by BORMAT
add email (see edit history)

Robert, 25-30K is about the average of GTO prices ( not 100 point GTO's though ) I would advise you to go to the NADA web site or Kelley to get a good idea of values. The market has softened up a bit on all the Tempest line including GTO and muscle in general. I think I would be very lucky if I could see over 20K for my LeMans.

Guest BORMAT
Robert, 25-30K is about the average of GTO prices ( not 100 point GTO's though ) I would advise you to go to the NADA web site or Kelley to get a good idea of values. The market has softened up a bit on all the Tempest line including GTO and muscle in general. I think I would be very lucky if I could see over 20K for my LeMans.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into it. Nice meeting you and thanks for replying. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into it. Nice meeting you and thanks for replying. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Same to you Robert, take care!

• 2 years later...
Guest BluesCustomS69

Hello All.  I realize this is an old thread.  I am looking for help on my Boyfriends 69 Custom S.  The list is long, but the immediate issue is the Gas Gauge is not working and the some of the dash lights are out.  The flasher lights, however, are stuck on and so is the low beam light indicator on the dash.   If there is any guidance anyone can offer it would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much!  Happy  new year!

Lights are probably a bad ground, that will often turn many lights on. Gas gauge is just something you will need to troubleshoot since both the gauge and the sender have been know to fail though a bad dash ground can screw up many things.

You don't have to have all the expertise yourself,

Blues Custom.  Even the most dedicated car fans

take cars to shops when they don't have a specific

knowledge.  You could take the car to a good

automobile electric shop.  Make sure they are 

comfortable working on a 1969 car (actually it should

be easier than modern cars).

The gas gauge is the only thing on your list

that might not be an electrical problem.

If you tell us your town or city, maybe someone

here can recommend a shop.

Nice to hear about a seldom-seen car, and

all the best to you as you work to improve it!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest BluesCustomS69

Thank you for the replies.  we are in Sacramento CA.  I really appreciate the help.  I love his car and so does he so any help is appreciated!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jukka K

Sorry to use this topic, but I think my question fits here: I have 4-door sedan Custom S, and I've been searching window felt kit to my car (originals are in bad shape). Is there any reproduction kits that fits, and if not, what could be good substitute? Thank You in advance.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Vince S
On 7/9/2014 at 9:16 PM, Guest said:

So good to hear from someone who knows what theyre talking about. MANY conflicting answers and and info. Just bought this 69 LeMans. Was told 350 is really 400 . Researched and found last high performance 350. I KNOW NOTHING!! Wish i was a gearhead but im not.Above avg maint and minor replacement. ANY info, tips appreciated! 

00B0B_iqvfaeeXDzY_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_1sADcCZpJ9_600x450.jpg