NE Empire Express 2014 - Portland

JohnD1956

Monday: 7/21/14

Hit the road at 8:45 today for a easy 615 mile day. 58* in Evanstown, wy. But mid way to Salt lake city its changed drastically. This area is so nice i'm already thinking of doing it again.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Tuesday 7/22/14: 11/00 AM

Unthinkable. After 3 days and more than 2000 miles, the 67 developed a bad bearing in the rear. Had to be towed 3,1/2 hrs to Reno and got settled in around 1:30 am. This morning @ 6 AM we discussed and also diagnosed a bad front wheel bearing and thought that was the problem. So we changed that and then determined it is definitely a problem with the rear axle. Trying to make arrangements right now to get it in and looked at. Then will decide how to proceed.

Not a good day for this Buick.

Wednesday 7/22/14 1:30 AM

Thanks for the messages guys. We just checked into the Red Lion. Yesterday, after replacing a bad wheel bearing in the front passengers side, we quickly became aware that the rear axle had some serious issue still. We implemented plan B and got the 67 to Greg's Garage in Reno where they could not even look at it till today. So at noon we began the last leg in the rental. This involved traveling to Dan Cooks house in Bonanza OR, where Dan sold me his 72 Electra. The thing is we very much underestimated the distance Dan lives from Portland.

Dan, if you see this I would like to say I am very grateful for all your offers of assistance and for reserving this car for me for all these years. And to give you a little idea how far away Dan actually lives I'd like to repeat his directions after he lead us around 7 miles from his home to a "shortcut" to Portland. He said something like : Okay, Go straight on this road for 18 miles to the first stop sign. Make a left and go 20 miles to the next stop sign. Then get on this route and go through the next town and then 7 miles past that town take a left at the sign to Eugene. Then it's 99 miles to Eugene. What he did not say was that it was 44 miles to the next town. AND over a hundred miles to Portland after that. LOL.. Course, made no difference. He was, where he was, and we had to get here tonight cause my wife flies in tomorrow, and I want to pick her up at the airport.

The area we drove through was again, beyond description. I did manage to get one photo I can share right now, and then it's lights out for me.

post-31834-143142632761_thumb.jpg

John - congrats on the Electra - you did great and it sure looks sweet. Enjoy the show and let me know if you see any good stuff I can't use that I should be buying.

Great talking to you and Ed the other night. Let us know what they find out with the 67. Talk soon.

Thursday 7/24/14 8:00 AM

Thanks folks. The Electra is a dream-boat. Dan has done a great job on maintenance and upkeep. He also made this a dream deal, with new front tires, and a mechanical test including the AC, which my wife needs for health reasons. I can't thank Dan enough. But now back to the story at hand

In a few moments we are leaving portland by air to retrive Eds 67. Maps point us almost directly over the same route we drove to, and from, Dans house. It will be a 9 hour trip by car plus this plane ride. But its important to a great friend and so its important to me too.

The 67 lost an axle bearing in the rear, not the entire rear gear. So that much is good news. Unfortunately I managed to lose my sunglasses and our travel portfolio. So its off we go for the last leg.

7/24/14: 11:30 AM

Back on the road. The axle bearing had not disintegrated, so the axle was good. They also checked the universals and rear axle grease, plus adjusted the front wheel bearings. Must say, everyone we interacted with on this problem was very nice and professional. What a great country! Portland, here we come! Again!

7/24/14 :after 11 PM:

30 miles to portland with the 67. Its been a trip of a lifetime. Problems encountered. Problems solved. I really do thank my wife Linda, for encouraging me to take the drive and being so patient when things went haywire. Shes a wonderful wife and partner. Today ends part one of this episode. Monday starts round two. The return trip. Sweet dreams folks.

Thank you Chris. It was very nice to meet you and many others as well. I am sorry I did not get around too much the day of the show. The week had caught up to me by then and I just could not get around to everyone's vehicles. But I than you and the many others who stopped by for a chat and even a brief hello. This Club has the cars as a basis, but it's really all about the great people who share that interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through this thread to try and correct some bad misspellings. I don't know how the kids can type so fast on these tiny keyboards. I also added some dates to the individual posts as best I can remember them. I have just noticed that this forum does not keep the date and time of the posts past a few days. That kinda sucks, but is probably a trade off for some other features. When I get back home I plan to return to this at least once more to add some pictures. It was fun posting to this thread. And on this trip I always imagined how long it took folks to get news back in the pony express days and how advanced we have become that things like this can be posted as they are happening. It's a great place we live in.